Jump to content


Using powerfunctions with lego 7725 train


17 replies to this topic

#1 Train7725

Train7725

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 09-July 09
    Member: 6625

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image

I have enhanced my old 7225 train with the new PowerFuctions rechargeble battery and train motor. In this way the old train can use the new train rails. I have taken a couble of photo's showing how everything looks with the battery inside. The powerfunction battery is smaller than I thought, and fits nicely inside the train. However I had to make som modfications to the roof, otherwise the battery wouldn't fit inside.

Here is a photo of the train refitted with the battery and new motor and wheels.
Posted Image

The front
Somehow - I can't find a way to have 3 set of wheels on the new motor - only 2 sets. Does anyone know how to do that? Instead I made a little something to put instead of the third wheel.
Posted Image

Made som special modifications to the roof, making it a lot easier to get to the battery. It's a nice details when you wan't to recharge.
Posted Image
Posted Image


Middel
Almost identical to the original 7725. I have exchanged the wheels with the newer much lighter weels.
Posted Image

Rear
Same procedure here. Changed the wheels. The placement of hte new weels is somehow different. It's not possible to give them exact same place as the old ones. But I think it looks OK.
Posted Image


Inside
The inside still looks fine, even though the battery takes up a hole lot of the space. Luckily - the there is space enough for the driver and his seat :-)
Posted Image


Movie of modified train in action:
http://podcastmachin...6/episodes/5536

Well, it has been an expensive rebuilt - but hey - I love my old 7725! Next up is my 7740!

Edited by Train7725, 10 July 2009 - 01:59 PM.


#2 paintballman413

paintballman413

    Posts: 73
    Joined: 22-June 09
    Member: 6474
    Country: United States

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

but won't the battery to the power function die then you would have to put new ones in. like me I trust my 9 volt motor, to bad i only have one :sadnew:

#3 AJW

AJW

    Posts: 46
    Joined: 28-June 09
    Member: 6525
    Country: England

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

This is great. I love seeing the fusion of classic sets from the 80s with brand new technology.

I don't know anything about power functions, can you start/stop and control the speed of the train remotely?

#4 Train7725

Train7725

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 09-July 09
    Member: 6625

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

View PostAJW, on Jul 10 2009, 12:44 AM, said:

This is great. I love seeing the fusion of classic sets from the 80s with brand new technology.

I don't know anything about power functions, can you start/stop and control the speed of the train remotely?

It should be possible to control the speed with the use of 8879 Power Functions IR Speed Remote Control and 8884 Power Functions IR Receiver. I bought the 8884 IR receiver because I thought it would work with the remote from the new Lego train sets ... but it didn't. You have to buy 8879 - which is not for sale in Denmark (where I live). But with that - yes - you can control the speed and direction.

#5 Beej

Beej

    Posts: 58
    Joined: 25-May 09
    Member: 6194
    Country: Australia

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Nice work on the 7725. I can't see the IR receiver in there, did you manage to fit that in as well? (edit: ok so it's not in there yet. Hope you manage get the PF remote soon.)

I'm going in the other direction - I'm retro-fitting my Emerald Night to work on the 12V track.  :grin:

Edited by Beej, 09 July 2009 - 10:57 PM.


#6 Train7725

Train7725

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 09-July 09
    Member: 6625

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

View Postpaintballman413, on Jul 10 2009, 12:30 AM, said:

but won't the battery to the power function die then you would have to put new ones in. like me I trust my 9 volt motor, to bad i only have one :sadnew:

Well, not sure I quite understand. I rechange the battery boks like this:
Posted Image

#7 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo

  • god for 10


    Posts: 4330
    Joined: 19-July 07
    Member: 1816
    Country: Australia

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:43 PM

Hahahaha, very nice. Maybe to solve your three wheels on one car and two on the other, you could just  make it two on both of them?
And this train doesn't have IR control?

Great modifications mate, well done! :pir-wink:

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au


#8 paintballman413

paintballman413

    Posts: 73
    Joined: 22-June 09
    Member: 6474
    Country: United States

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

I love classic lego train sets but I mean, won't it be annying to have to keep on changing the battery every few hours. why don't you buy a train motor or something that runs on electricity and not batterys. anyway it's not a pain having to change batterys :tongue: but hey it's your train. Have fun with it :cry_happy:  :thumbup:

oh.. it's a rechargeable.. ok nevermind. but won't you want to have a back or something. cause those power functions take for ever.

#9 AndyC

AndyC

    Posts: 1238
    Joined: 23-June 09
    Member: 6485

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:04 AM

View PostTrain7725, on Jul 9 2009, 11:28 PM, said:

Somehow - I can't find a way to have 3 set of wheels on the new motor - only 2 sets. Does anyone know how to do that? Instead I made a little something to put instead of the third wheel.

You could possibly do it by replacing the train motor with a power functions M motor and appropriate gears to drive the wheels. Not sure how well that would work in terms of space though.
Posted Image

#10 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

  • Loved Ghost Ranger


    Posts: 9642
    Joined: 15-January 05
    Member: 174

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

Fantastic!  It's great to see these old classics being re-designed with the new PF system.  Nice job. :thumbup:

#11 paintballman413

paintballman413

    Posts: 73
    Joined: 22-June 09
    Member: 6474
    Country: United States

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

isn't it just easier to put two wheels in the front like all the other cars of the train. hey gotta love those old train sets :thumbup:

#12 JopieK

JopieK

  • Kneecap Buster


    Posts: 2412
    Joined: 04-January 07
    Member: 1180
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Looks quite nice. Now we need to make metal wheels to get rid of that Li-ion.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help?Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


Posted Image

-== Classic LEGO trains are the best ==-

Do you need replacement stickers for LEGO (reproductions and customs): ministickers.nl

What then about the LEGuanO?!


#13 Holodoc

Holodoc

  • Has finally seen the box


    Posts: 3831
    Joined: 24-November 06
    Member: 1094
    Country: Germany

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Nice idea and well done, train7725!

It´s always good to know the older trains still have a place in our newer world.
This makes me want to try something similar...

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image

#14 Train7725

Train7725

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 09-July 09
    Member: 6625

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

View Postpaintballman413, on Jul 10 2009, 05:53 AM, said:

isn't it just easier to put two wheels in the front like all the other cars of the train. hey gotta love those old train sets :thumbup:

I guess you are right. I will try that and see how it looks. Thanks!

View PostAndyC, on Jul 10 2009, 02:04 AM, said:

You could possibly do it by replacing the train motor with a power functions M motor and appropriate gears to drive the wheels. Not sure how well that would work in terms of space though.

I thought about your idea - but I think that theres just to little space inside the cabin. But I am not sure. I think that the battery and an M-motor alone leaves no free space. Are there any building instructions somewhere that shows how to drive train wheels from an M motor? Couldn't find one - and I sure could need some inspiration to solve that problem. Thanks for the input!

View Postpaintballman413, on Jul 10 2009, 01:48 AM, said:

I love classic lego train sets but I mean, won't it be annying to have to keep on changing the battery every few hours. why don't you buy a train motor or something that runs on electricity and not batterys. anyway it's not a pain having to change batterys :tongue: but hey it's your train. Have fun with it :cry_happy:  :thumbup:

oh.. it's a rechargeable.. ok nevermind. but won't you want to have a back or something. cause those power functions take for ever.

Yes - I think your are right that the 9V and 12V systems are "better" in terms that you dont need a battery at all. I recently bought 7897 Passenger Train for my kids, and wanted to make my old train compatible with the new railstracks.

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Jul 10 2009, 01:43 AM, said:

Hahahaha, very nice. Maybe to solve your three wheels on one car and two on the other, you could just  make it two on both of them?
And this train doesn't have IR control?

Great modifications mate, well done! :pir-wink:

No, this set does not have an IR. But I got an IR remote from 7897 Passenger Train, and thought that I might be able to use that with the PowerFuctions IR sensor ..... but it didn't work :-(

So now I have to press the green button on the battery to start and stop the train. I can regulate the speed of the motor on battery as well. I guess I have to buy an PowerFunctions IR remote - if I wish to control the train remotely.

#15 AFOL12v

AFOL12v

    Posts: 669
    Joined: 26-August 06
    Member: 921
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Great idea and well done with this. You won't see much of it. :thumbup:

#16 missouri_bb63

missouri_bb63

    Posts: 286
    Joined: 01-August 09
    Member: 6866
    Country: Belgium

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

I really like what you have done. At first glance one doesn't even notice. That particular train is one of the few I don't have from the 80s but I do have the 7740. I just checked out the instructions on Peeron, and it might be possible to put the battery and an XL motor where the mock diesel electric motor is. To be honest though, I would probably try to put everything, inlcuding the motors in the in a closed wagon like the 7819 mail van so that it doesn't disturb the interiors. It will be interesting to see where you hide the IR receiver!

You should check out the Lego Train group at Flickr.com and look at the PF solutions that have been built into locomotive tenders, and US diesel electric engines to get your 3 (6) wheel ideas. Here is one example.

The guys in that group really know what they are doing... except for me.  :wink:

#17 pikappa79

pikappa79

    Posts: 59
    Joined: 29-July 09
    Member: 6834
    Country: Italy

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

View PostTrain7725, on 09 July 2009 - 10:28 PM, said:

Posted Image

I have enhanced my old 7225 train with the new PowerFuctions rechargeble battery and train motor. In this way the old train can use the new train rails. I have taken a couble of photo's showing how everything looks with the battery inside. The powerfunction battery is smaller than I thought, and fits nicely inside the train. However I had to make som modfications to the roof, otherwise the battery wouldn't fit inside.

Here is a photo of the train refitted with the battery and new motor and wheels.
Posted Image

The front
Somehow - I can't find a way to have 3 set of wheels on the new motor - only 2 sets. Does anyone know how to do that? Instead I made a little something to put instead of the third wheel.
Posted Image

Made som special modifications to the roof, making it a lot easier to get to the battery. It's a nice details when you wan't to recharge.
Posted Image
Posted Image


Middel
Almost identical to the original 7725. I have exchanged the wheels with the newer much lighter weels.
Posted Image

Rear
Same procedure here. Changed the wheels. The placement of hte new weels is somehow different. It's not possible to give them exact same place as the old ones. But I think it looks OK.
Posted Image


Inside
The inside still looks fine, even though the battery takes up a hole lot of the space. Luckily - the there is space enough for the driver and his seat :-)
Posted Image


Movie of modified train in action:
http://podcastmachin...6/episodes/5536

Well, it has been an expensive rebuilt - but hey - I love my old 7725! Next up is my 7740!

Hi! Could you re-upload images?

thanks

#18 Sokratesz

Sokratesz

    Posts: 583
    Joined: 05-June 11
    Member: 18278

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, can't see the images either :(



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users