• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AJW

AJW

Member: 6525

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

Posted Image

Hello again!

Here is my second attempt at building a locomotive which looks like an official set from the 1980s and will fit into my 12v layout.
This locomotive was inspired by set 162 which was released in 1977:
Posted Image

and here it is:
Posted Image

I guess it was probably built by the same company who manufactured the 7760 shunting loco!  :wink:
Posted Image

I tried adding an exhaust pipe rising from the top of the engine housing, but I was never happy with the look. I also tried red lamps at each corner but it looked terrible!
Posted Image

It took me 3 attempts to get the frame and bogies to work correctly. In my first version the buffers and couplers were attached to the frame but it could not negotiate a set of points successfully. This is the final version which I am very happy with:
Posted Image

And this is what is going on under the body. Yes, the frame and body is attached to the bogies with only four studs. But it's very sturdy:
Posted Image

One final picture of it hauling a maintenance train:
Posted Image

Edited by TheBrickster, 09 July 2009 - 01:58 PM.

#2 Lego_Warlord_8

Lego_Warlord_8

Member: 6334

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

This looks great, it looks (to me at least) better than the original!  BTW, you left out the smoke stack.  :grin:  Great job, keep it up! ~LW 8~
Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  See more of my builds on Flickr.

#3 Zorbas

Zorbas

• Tough on stains!

Member: 4609

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

Very nice work!

I think that the result is even better than the original train! :thumbup:

The shape of it is strange and charming at the same time. It sure has that classic town looks that gives more points to it.  :thumbup:

And the last picture...  :blush:  :cry_happy:

Like coming  directly from an '80's catalogue.
"Bricks and stones, timber and tiles - are of no use when dumped at random..."
Xenophon - "Memoirs of Socrates"
Brickshelf

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

by Jebediahs

Posted Image

#4 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo

• god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:33 AM

View PostAJW, on Jul 9 2009, 09:24 AM, said:

I guess it was probably built by the same company who manufactured the 7760 shunting loco!  :wink:
That would be the LEGO Group. :grin:

Nicely done. I like that it retains the old style of the original set. The use of steam train wheel placement was nice. And pulling the maintenance train looks great! :thumbup:

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#5 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

Very nice; it looks vintage and wouldn't look misplaced in the train section of an 80's catalogue.

Nice to see that you carried over the wheel configuration from the orginal locomotive - to my understanding this was a common method of creating bogies, before they could actually pivot. I would have used trailer hinges instead of turntables, though. The resulting construction would likely be sturdier, but your solution seems to work, so there's really no need to change it. :classic:

#6 AJW

AJW

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

View PostFreddie, on Jul 9 2009, 06:04 PM, said:

Nice to see that you carried over the wheel configuration from the orginal locomotive - to my understanding this was a common method of creating bogies, before they could actually pivot. I would have used trailer hinges instead of turntables, though. The resulting construction would likely be sturdier, but your solution seems to work, so there's really no need to change it. :classic:
What pieces are you thinking of when you say trailer hinges?

#7 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

I love it AJW! :wub:  I'm really enjoying your redesigns of these classics.  I notice the track as well - fantastic!  The complete train looks really good.  I like the crane wagon and the boxcar as well.

Great job!  This deserves a BLOG.

#8 paintballman413

paintballman413

Member: 6474

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

12 v is so cool, but you can't controll the spped can you?

#9 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

View PostAJW, on Jul 9 2009, 10:17 PM, said:

What pieces are you thinking of when you say trailer hinges?
I was thinking of these two parts, but the latter has recently been replaced by this piece, which is possibly better. And then there are a few alternatives, depending on your needs and wants.

Paintballman413: 12V is controllable, but the old 4.5V battery trains weren't speed controllable. Didn't really matter, though, since they weren't exactly fast either.

#10 AJW

AJW

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

View PostFreddie, on Jul 10 2009, 05:45 PM, said:

I was thinking of these two parts, but the latter has recently been replaced by this piece, which is possibly better. And then there are a few alternatives, depending on your needs and wants.
Hi Freddie, thanks for returning to this thread to elaborate.
I did try the ball joint pieces as you suggested, but I found that the pivot was too far from the centre of the loco and thus the wheels would not follow the track correctly.

12 v is so cool, but you can't controll the spped can you?
You certainly can control the speed remotely. All you need is one of these, and quite a lot of these. And four or five of these are always nice to have. And these are really cool too.  :sweet:

#11 paintballman413

paintballman413

Member: 6474

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

View PostLego_Warlord_8, on Jul 8 2009, 06:52 PM, said:

This looks great, it looks (to me at least) better than the original!  BTW, you left out the smoke stack.  :grin:  Great job, keep it up! ~LW 8~

hello, not all Diesel trains need a smoke stack. :tongue:
god job dude. :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users