Sign in to follow this  
Admiral M

HMS Conquest, WIP through to completion

Hey all, Admiral M here, and I have begun construction of my newest ship, the HMS Conquest. The ship will have 2 decks, 3 masts, and many more improvements. This ship will be my best up to now, and it's already looking pretty good:

lddscreenshot38.png

lddscreenshot39.png

lddscreenshot40.png

Finished!

lddscreenshot124.png

This seems really cool. I like the blue cannon flaps. It would be awesome if you built one of your LDD ships.

It would be awesome if you built one of your LDD ships.

That's my dream! Of course, it'll be awhile before I can afford this ship, I've been working on it almost all day, the rough version is half finished now, and it's already at $290! Oh, woe is me! :pir_bawling:

I'll get by, somehow.

Edited by Admiral M

That's my dream! Of course, it'll be awhile before I can afford this ship, I've been working on it almost all day, the rough version is half finished now, and it's already at $290! Oh, woe is me! :pir_bawling:

I'll get by, somehow.

$290 on pick a brick but I bet you could get it for half on bricklink. You have to consider these things my friend.

Yes, sadly. You could get the Coco (faux lego) version of Black Seas Barricuda for only $50, yet lego charges twice as much for a ship nowhere near as beautiful, and with 200 fewer pieces. It is quite ironic, because you expect the smaller brands to charge more because they can't buy in bulk the same way LEGO can. I'm definitely going bricklink, those 2x1x3 inverted slopes are half the amount there, but lego needs to learn.

Edited by Admiral M

This is a very good ship so far. The yellow and blue work together well on this model. I enjoy seeing LDD creations, yet I don't know how to make them

That is starting to look cool!

Be carefull that you don't make the curve in the side too curved, otherwise it will look dented.

I also think that the bow is a bit too pointy, as where it would be round IRL.

Good luck on it! :thumbup:

Here are some new pictures. CGH, I took your advise and made the prow more round, but there isn't much I can do about the hull.

I've built the galleries, but I think they are too big. Does anyone think they could help me with these?

lddscreenshot56.png

lddscreenshot57.png

lddscreenshot59.png

lddscreenshot61.png

More pictures Here

Edited by Admiral M

Perhaps the cabin is a little large. Possibly 1 or 2 windows on each side max? Although it might just seem to big without the rest of the brown hull. I think the angles also make it look big.

But the ship is looking good my friend, and I look foward to seeing more progress! :pir-wink:

I fixed the stern, and the ship is pretty much complete. However, brickshelf still isn't working so I can't post pictures. I am still not completely happy with the shape and there are a few things that need perfections, but i'm doing pretty good for now.

Edited by Admiral M

Brickshelf is working again, so here are some pictures of the ship. The stern currently has no interior, but that will change (as soon as I figure out how to add it)! The ship now has white gunwhales. Do you think it looks better in blue?

lddscreenshot101.png

lddscreenshot86.png

lddscreenshot92.png

lddscreenshot96.png

And a closeup of the parrots (thanks Blackmoor :classic: )

lddscreenshot100.png

Edited by Admiral M

I would like to know, how many crew do you think I would need? What would be an adequate number if the ship will have 16 cannon below deck, 2 carronades, 6 deck guns, and 3 masts? I was thinking:

1 per below-deck cannon (16)

1 per deck gun (6)

2 per carronade (4)

1 per mast (3)

1 at helm (1)

1 officer for every 5 men (30/5=6)

1 Captian

1 Admiral

Total: 37

Edited by Admiral M

looking good

One suggestion, try staggering the gun ports for a slightly better look - a checquered side pattern (apologies if this has already been mentioned, i skimmed over the posts)

No, it hasn't, and that is what I planned on doing. I think it would look better like that.

I haven't posted updates for awhile, because i've been working on my port, so here ismy current status:

On this day, July twenty-four of the year 1795, the british frigate HMS Conquest, designed and built by the great Admiral Michael, is officialy complete!

lddscreenshot124.png

Well, not really. It still needs to be built with bricks :pir_laugh2: ! Now if only I can muster up $200...

See all the pictures on brickshelf when moderated.

Edited by Admiral M