Color scheme for a Train Station..

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Color For Brickington Train Station (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose one

1. Blue and Black (11 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. Yellow and Black (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Other (please specify) (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Eilif

Eilif

• Eco-friendly cheapskate

Member: 2913

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image

Ok, here's the problem.
I'm removing the train tunnel from Brickington. It's not going to be destroyed, but I need it for the basis of a new Top-Secret Project.  

In it's place, I'm going to build a Train Station.  It's going to be in the same location as the tunnel, so it will be 32 studds deep, 64-96 studs long, and 22-32 studds tall. The problem is deciding on a color sheme. Here's the considerations for the building

1) The primary accent color will be black, as I have alot of great architectural pieces  and windows in that color.

2) I want the main color to be a color that I have alot of

3) I want the main color to be a color that I don't use often

So I think I've narrowed it down to two choices, Yellow and Black and Blue and Black. If you've got a better idea, feel free to make your case.  I'm going to do my best to abide by the decision of the Eurobricks majority
Visit scenic Brickington
Article: How to get LEGO for a Penny Per Piece
Member, Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club.

#2 General Zen

General Zen

Member: 2390

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

I think there are already a lot of yellow train stations and blue one would be a nice change. I would love to see your take on it and the finished result no matter what color it is.  :wink:
"In terms of skill, I'm Chuck Norris. And you're a duck, with no webbed feet, with a staple through its neck.

#3 BlueBard

BlueBard

Member: 2796

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Black and Tan would be a nice scheme for me, maybe with some grey decoration elements  :wink:

#4 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

• Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'd say dark red, tan ornaments, white windows and a black roof. The streets and platforms should be then light grey and you can ofcourse add some more colors in the small details. Some vegetation like a big tree or something would make a nice addition as well i think.

Good luck on decidiing and the eventual build!  :thumbup:
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#5 Modulex Guy

Modulex Guy

• Ain't nobody takin' my wooden fire truck

Member: 6517

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

Secret project eh?

...anyhoo, make the station blue and black, it sounds interesting.
NILTC
Hi, My name is Chris... and I'm addicted to Modulex.
Posted Image
O_o
I Buy Modulex!
My Flickr page.

#6 Teddy

Teddy

• Soft Spot

Member: 1646

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi Eilif,

Are you talking about regular blue? Or dark and medium blue?

#7 Eilif

Eilif

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

View PostGeneral Zen, on Jul 1 2009, 11:38 AM, said:

. I would love to see your take on it and the finished result no matter what color it is.  :wink:
Thanks, but don't count me up just yet. It could still be a spectacular failure!  :tongue:

View PostBlueBard, on Jul 1 2009, 11:41 AM, said:

Black and Tan would be a nice scheme for me, maybe with some grey decoration elements  :wink:
I would love black and tan, but I don't have enough tan for a building of the size I am consdering.

View PostCaptain Green Hair, on Jul 1 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

I'd say dark red, tan ornaments, white windows and a black roof. The streets and platforms should be then light grey and you can ofcourse add some more colors in the small details. Some vegetation like a big tree or something would make a nice addition as well i think.

Good luck on decidiing and the eventual build!  :thumbup:
That would also be a great color combo, but I don't think I have enough dark red to use it as the base color for a train.

View PostPolish Guy, on Jul 1 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

Secret project eh?

...anyhoo, make the station blue and black, it sounds interesting.
Yup, but rest assured that you and the rest of NILTC will be among the first to see when it's done. Shortly followed by EB of course.

View PostTeddy, on Jul 1 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

Just regular blue, thugh it might be possible to work in a bit of dark or medium blue as a kind of brick texture...
Visit scenic Brickington

#8 Stash2Sixx

Stash2Sixx

• I am not a girl!

Member: 3094

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

After recently looking around the PAB wall at the local LEGO store, I saw they have 1x1 and 1x2 in bright blue.  They also have 1x1, 1x2, and 1x4 in medium blue (light blue).  So if you go with black and blue, you definitely have some options.

Some people are like slinkies.  They're not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs! -Anonymous

"Life's tough...It's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#9 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

I´d always prefer realistic colours.
So "normal" blue would not be a choice for me.

View PostBlueBard, on Jul 1 2009, 06:41 PM, said:

YES - that would do it! :thumbup:

View PostTeddy, on Jul 1 2009, 08:27 PM, said:

Hi Eilif,
Medium blue is great as well. It´s a good contrast to black and more realsitic than ordinary blue.

I know about the use of decorative elements - that was the reason for me to build my post office in tan / yellow. Not very appealing...  :hmpf:  :laugh: So I would recommend light/dark gray and light/dark tan, maybe some brown.

Did you see Teddy´s train station?
You know that you´re in competition now. Not the easiest challenge... :grin:
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image
New and very cool Posted Image: LEGO Physics (by kleinraum42)! Posted Image (Click on the photo and vote!)

#10 kris kelvin

kris kelvin

• Bris Bothan

Member: 4192

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

View PostCaptain Green Hair, on Jul 1 2009, 06:24 PM, said:

I'd say dark red, tan ornaments, white windows and a black roof.
AMEN.

#11 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo

• god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

Righto Eilif, I'll really annoy you here, but I honestly think you should go with CGH's idea. The colour scheme is brilliant, and with such a high quality layout, it would be a shame if you had to resort to a yellow or blue station. So in this rare case, I would suggest that you buy parts specifically for the MOC. :pir-wink:

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#12 Eilif

Eilif

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

View PostStash2Sixx, on Jul 1 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

After recently looking around the PAB wall at the local LEGO store, I saw they have 1x1 and 1x2 in bright blue.  They also have 1x1, 1x2, and 1x4 in medium blue (light blue).  So if you go with black and blue, you definitely have some options.
Hmm, the lego budget is quite tight right now, but I might get down there just to get a bit of med blue.

View PostHolodoc, on Jul 2 2009, 02:53 AM, said:

Did you see Teddy´s train station?
You know that you´re in competition now. Not the easiest challenge... :grin:
Yeah, I saw Teddy's his is spectacular. I don't think mine will be any "competition" to his.  It will probably be bigger, but not nearly as detailed.

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Jul 2 2009, 05:18 AM, said:

Righto Eilif, I'll really annoy you here, but I honestly think you should go with CGH's idea. The colour scheme is brilliant, and with such a high quality layout, it would be a shame if you had to resort to a yellow or blue station. So in this rare case, I would suggest that you buy parts specifically for the MOC. :pir-wink:
Oh man, you guys are killing me.  :laugh:  I would love to be able to buy parts specifically, but asside from a few windows that I PAB'd that's not really an option at this time.  

At this point, the poll and I are both leaning toward blue and black.  To give credit where credit is due, it was SalvoBrick's Hotel that really got me thinking that blue and black could be a good color combination.  I find his use of those colors incredibly striking.

Posted Image
Visit scenic Brickington

#13 Rick

Rick

• Subtle like a hammer

Member: 5261

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

Indeed, this Hotel - but also Hinckley's EBCTC entry - shows that excellent results can be achieved with the basic Lego colors (that I also have most of) as long as you use some nice accent colors...

slighty off-topic: What else do/should you use yellow and blue for in town building?

#14 Eilif

Eilif

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

View PostRick, on Jul 4 2009, 04:13 AM, said:

slighty off-topic: What else do/should you use yellow and blue for in town building?

It's hard to say.  Blue is a simultaneously dark and vibrant color that doesn't get alot of use in the "real" world. Other primary LEGO colors like Yellow and Red can be used for different colors of brick that are commonly found in buildings, but blue is a hard case. I think that blue would be a fine use for a contemporary restaurant, a commercial building like a shop or auto repair garage and I've also seen it used effectively for residential homes.  Finally, perhaps a community pool building?
Visit scenic Brickington

#15 Modulex Guy

Modulex Guy

• Ain't nobody takin' my wooden fire truck

Member: 6517

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:09 AM

I had a blue repair garage built before, it is possible in some cases to pull of blue in realistic building, although difficult to get it to look right.
NILTC
Hi, My name is Chris... and I'm addicted to Modulex.
Posted Image
O_o
I Buy Modulex!
My Flickr page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users