• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic  – Started by Zorro , Jun 21 2009 01:32 PM

#1 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image
The Renegade Runner, commanded by Captain Ironhook, is one of the three ships released in the second LEGO Pirates line (the others being the Skulls Eye Schooner and the Imperial Flagship). Although reasonably small, the Renegade Runner is feared for her incredible speed and fearsome crew...

Set name: Renegade Runner
Theme: Pirates
Subtheme: Pirates
Set number: 6268
Number of pieces: 171
Minifigs: 4
Released: 1993 (discontinued)
Release price: 40 USD
Current price: 40 - 100 on Bricklink and eBay, 189 for MINT (Bricklink)

Brickshelf
Peeron
Bricklink

Box
Posted Image
The front of the box. With thanks to Brickset and Whitefang.

Posted Image
This is how a 6268 MISB set looks like :oh3: . With thanks to ACPin for this one and the next.

Posted Image
As usual the alternative building options can be found on the back of the box.

Instructions
Posted Image
The frontpage of the instructions sheet, showing us another picture of the ship.

Posted Image
The building is done in small steps, smaller then the steps of the SES in any case. Of course it is the question this is a positive point or not (probably not for adults, maybe for young kids).

Posted Image
And the back: again the ship, this time with a pirate that goes on land to burry the treasure.

Minifigs
Posted Image
4 Minifigs, that is just enough for a ship and set of this size. One imperial would have been nice though.

Posted Image
Their backs...no prints as this, in those days, wasn't common yet.

Posted Image
I suggest to build a neutral sailor or soldier with this torso and hat, if you do not own any soldiers. This way you have two sides.
Again: I really mis an Imperial in this set, especcialy since a lot of smaller sets have one.

Parts
Posted Image
The sails. Sorry they are a bit dirty, I still have to wash them... Good thing they are made of such high quality :thumbup: .

Posted Image
As you can see, there are many weapons included with this set, which is no doubt a positive point! Two of the three muskets are still mounted like they are mounted on the ship.
You also get two pistols and four cutlasses and of course the cannon-without-wheels (I like the brown wheels  :sceptic: ).
The compass that is included really works. Further you also receive a treasure chest with gold, a map to guide you to that treasure, a dragon plume and two pirate flags: a large one and a small one.
I give this set a 10/10 on the parts section, since I think you really have many items for your four pirates.

Overview
Posted Image
The entire ship: the blue and red colors are nice if used seperatly but I have my doubts if they are combined like in the Renegade Runner!

Posted Image
A peak inside. You can clearly see how the cannon is installed and where they 'hide' their treasure. There is also a wooden ladder to the command bridge, that hasn't got a steering wheel!
That is the biggest flaw I can find for now. It really wouldn't have added to the production cost to include a standard steering wheel...
Luckily one can easily add a tiller himself on this ship!

Posted Image
There is no cabin on this boat, underneath the grey plates the Captain stands on, there is nothing but empty space.

Posted Image
A pic that shows the bow and front of the ship.

The Ratings:

Price: 9/10 (The cheapest LEGO Pirates ship ever sold. Because of the many parts you get I also find it a fair price.)
Design: 7/10 (It REALLY lacks a steering wheel...and the 'cabin' could at least contain something like the treasure or barrel.)
Minifigs and parts: 9/10 (I give the maxium rating to the parts included, but the minifigs-rating could be a bit better since no Imperial soldier or guard are included, also no animals in this set!)
Playability: 8/10 (This set really needs another pirates set, preferrably one with soldiers, to play decently with. If one doesn't have other pirate sets, try making the sailer/soldier I showed you in the minifigure section.)

Overall/conclusion: 8.25/10 (I am happy I purchased this set when I was young, and I remember I used to have a lot of fun playing with it as the 'sidekick' of the larger ships! Of course this midget is nothing in comparison to the BSB or SES, but what do you expect for this price? You can nearly have three of these for the price of one of the above!
I can only say one more thing if you are planning of buying this set: watch the price carefully and ENJOY!)

And a little teaser...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Classic Pirates is saving up for a new server...

#2 Commander Flash

Commander Flash

Member: 5083

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

Good review. That is like a large battlepack from way back. The pirates back then couldnt afford the back of shirts  :pir-tongue:
My brickshelf: http://www.brickshel...manderFlash7707
Flickr account: http://www.flickr.co...rflash/?saved=1

Looking for any helpful Town/City based tutorials, such as buildings, cars, and other things in a city. PM if you would like to share tutorials

Posted Image
Carlo Fergusen in Noir Mafia...Died Loyal

#3 SlyOwl

SlyOwl
  • Watch out for Infuriated Isaac's metatarsal!

Member: 2057

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

I don't own this, but it passed through my possession, en-route to ISC.

I can build the BSB in one building session, and the SES in one or two. With this one, however, I completely lost concentration when it came to the sails and mast, which isn't a positive sign.

However, it's perfect for playing with - the forward-positioned sails, rotating cannon and decent figure selection are great for that.
The figurehead is the highlight of this set (sorry ISC :pir-blush:),  which nearly makes up for an otherwise aesthetically shoddy, but functional, build.

I'll pick one up at some point in my life, but it's by no means a priority, and only if it's really cheap. I always see it as part of the SES' fleet, but if not, it makes a good source of sails to expand the SES.

To the barricades!
Posted Image

#4 gormadoc1

gormadoc1

Member: 4433

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

This is the most fantastic little ship ever. Even though its small it is still eye catching and it just looks great. The renegade runner is truly my favourate ship. Unfortunetley I dont own it  :pir_bawling: BUT I WILL.
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.

#5 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog

Member: 376

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

was a nice ship...is small and can be destroyed with a simple cannon shot, but not all ships must be powerful...in real pirates era there was powerful ships and not powerful ships(I'm sure Calico Jack's ship was something similar than Renegade runner :D)

And Is a good ship for a character like Ironhook...he looks like a loser, a shipwreck pirate, so a simple ship is ideal for him.

Sadly, i don't have it...i had it when i was 5, but i've lost it...fortunately i have all pirate sets i bought since i was 8
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#6 Dr. Steve

Dr. Steve

Member: 3382

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

Great review of a good set!

#7 Paradosis

Paradosis

Member: 684

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the review, I love looking at the older Lego sets, though I dislike this particular set. I don't mean to offend anyone that likes this set, but to me it looks like a MOC I might have put together when I was 7 or 8... it just looks like two hull pieces slapped together, with a strange color scheme. Maybe I'm just missing wjat makes this set special and it's my loss, I dunno.

Edited by Paradosis, 22 June 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#8 The Green Brick Giant

The Green Brick Giant

Member: 5270

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

This is the type of ship I hope they will release next year.

#9 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

My parents said they might buy this for my birthday, so keep your thumbs crossed :thumbup: :thumbup:  Good Review Zorro :pir-classic:

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#10 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I just bought one of these last month.  I haven't had a chance to put it together as I have been having fits for the last month trying to build the Capstan Inn.  

Another great review of another classic set.  Thanks so much for taking the time to put these reviews together.  It must take a lot of time and effort and you did a great job.
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#11 Guss

Guss
  • One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

cool review ^^ I love this little ship, so simple but looks so cool ^^
Posted Image

#12 Dreamweb

Dreamweb
  • Thanks for your contributions!

Member: 396

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

I always felt like this boat was missing the ship's wheel, but other than that it is a great set that allows you to have a pirate ship for less money. It looks balanced and has everything in the right place - unlike Cross Bone Clipper or even Armada Flagship.

#13 Lego_Warlord_8

Lego_Warlord_8

Member: 6334

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

great review! i really wish LG didn't discontinue the old classic pirate sets. :pir_bawling:
Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  See more of my builds on Flickr.

#14 VintageLegoEra

VintageLegoEra

Member: 121665

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Got this NISB...will look awesome with the 6286 ( Skulls Eye Schooner )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links