1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

DSC02258es.jpg

This line really surprised me; full scale Bionicle vehicles?! I would have never expect it for size reasons alone. Yet here it is, and it is indeed big!

DSC02265es.jpg

Here is a Walrus to scale. When I first saw this model I thought, 'It's so big you could re-design it to be a mini-fig scale space craft!'... and while I won't actually do that, that's were the parts will probably end up. Note the two small wheels near the rider (Lewa Nuva); the front is used to open the weapon bay, the rear is for deploying the wing tips.

DSC02264es.jpg

The back is full of extra bionicle bits. The black dome pieces work well here as engines... but the area still seems a bit lacking.

DSC02267es.jpg

With a turn the forward wheel the door opens and the required shooting function is revealed. I actually expected that you'd be able to remote shoot them as well, but that needs to be done manually. For that haven't used the 'Midak Skyblasters', they are pretty cool. Four Zamor Spheres fit in (it's kind of like loading a pump shotgun) and are held in by spring pressure, and you can then throw them out one at a time. The gearing to open the doors is well done too and the top and bottom snap open nice and sharply. (It could be a bit stiff for kids though.)

DSC02273es.jpg

The other main function are the extending wing tips. Here they are stowed for landing. As you can see, there's no room to carry Bionicle babes. On a similar note, before I show you the wing tips extended, I'd like to highlight one of the other design issues...

DSC02272es.jpg

Ouch! Lewa Nuva needs to be lying really low otherwise his head is clipped every time. Poor guy...

DSC02304es.jpg

Here they are extended and the landing gear retracted. For the purpose of the review, please ignore the white stand; it's not part of the set.

DSC02295es.jpg

For the curious here's my stand. I made this as I found much of the model hard to photograph without it. The model is easy to balance at this point; the stand is just taking the weight and it's clip in with just a pin either side.

DSC02274es.jpg

Lewa Nuva with his ride. I hope his head is feeling better.

DSC02277es.jpg

Landing gear extended. If you rotate the wheel...

DSC02279es.jpg

...it neatly folds up.

DSC02282es.jpg

The Axalara T9 seems to fit most Bionicles. The Rahkshi (this one is Vorahk) due to their odd shape don't work too well...

DSC02284es.jpg

..but Thok looks the part. See; he's smiling!

DSC02294es.jpg

The front has some good details.

DSC02296es.jpg

The model is too big for my photo area, and I'll embarrass myself here by proving it.

DSC02301es.jpg

The panels just ahead of Lewa Nuva lift...

DSC02313es.jpg

...to reveal a nice stowage area. (I do wonder where the engine of this thing fits though...)

DSC02307es.jpg

The last sight the enemy will see before 8 balls bounce off his head.

DSC02309es.jpg

The tip extension works via ball joints and a rotor.

DSC02310es.jpg

Wing detail.

Functions:

Door: Remote opening of two split doors via knob wheels.

Wings: Extending via rotor connected using ball joints and steering links, driven via knob wheels.

Shooting function: Boing ouch, boing ouch, boing ouch, boing ouch (x2)

Stand: Retractable.

Remote shooting would have been nice 8/10

Parts:

Loads of the new panels and a lot of the newer bionicle parts. It's a great source of knob wheels too; 10 are included. 9/10

Price:

At $129.99 AUD for 693 parts it isn't good. Since many of them are pins it's pretty horrid actually. I bought this half price and I've either seen this set on sale... or not selling. 5/10

Looks:

I like the design of this. From most angles it looks solid. 8/10

Fudge:

It's fun to swoosh around, but ultimately for a non-bionicle fan it doesn't offer a lot at full price. At half price it's a steal! 2/10

Overall: Not recommended at full price. 6/10

You can find more photos here, and if you want more just ask and I'll see what I can do. You better ask fast though as this has been scheduled for destruction...

Here in the US, several people got the set on discount for a mere $30.00 USD at Wal-Mart. That's how I got mine.

The set itself gets boring after a while, it's just a box after all.

Thanks for the nice review! :thumbup:

Since that cool hoverbike in the 8596 Takanuva set I´ve a slight soft spot for some of these nice and futuristic

Bionicle vehicles, and that one and the smaller but also very neat 8941 Rockoh T3´re really pretty cool ones. :classic:

Yea, I wouldn't buy it at $80USD either, got mine for around $44 at a Target.

Great review, I think you covered many important parts, but missed the building portion.

That's what amazed me, with all the nifty designing with math involved.

[-The Alchemyst-]

If anyone wants more photos it's too late; this set has "accidently" fallen into the sorting bin! :grin:

Excellent job Siegfried! This is a great review on an excellent set! I now must have this set, even if I have to *gasp* do chores! Again, keep up the top notch work!

NOOOOOO!!!! WHY GOD?

Well I must confess that while it's got a big "spare parts" tag on it I've been too busy to do anything about it. Thus if you want photos just ask, but if you're just shocked that I bought this for spare parts then... sorry? :wink:

Excellent job Siegfried! This is a great review on an excellent set! I now must have this set, even if I have to *gasp* do chores! Again, keep up the top notch work!

Thanks! It's a very impressive set.

NOOOOOO!!!! WHY GOD?

To be honest, the only things keeping me from ripping my Axalara to bits and using the parts elsewhere is my constant fear that soon I'll want to use it again and I'd be too lazy to put it back together.

Well I must confess that while it's got a big "spare parts" tag on it I've been too busy to do anything about it. Thus if you want photos just ask, but if you're just shocked that I bought this for spare parts then... sorry? :wink:

I can't really see you using the red shields or Lewa's mask in a MOC though... :grin:

To be honest, the only things keeping me from ripping my Axalara to bits and using the parts elsewhere is my constant fear that soon I'll want to use it again and I'd be too lazy to put it back together.

A pile of parts has 0 swooshability, and who doesn't like swooshability? :laugh:

Personally, if I take Axalara apart, there will just be pathetic Lewa whom I can't take apart for fear of breaking joints. So I occasionally borrow the red panels, but otherwise I leave my Axalara on top of my cupboard. :classic:

Nice review. I don't have this, but the smaller 8941, which I got today at 70% off. For 12€ it's a steal compared to 40€ original price, but I wouldn't even have gotten it at half price, since I'm not in Bionicle.

mFg Widdi

Okay, it has been a little while, sooooooooooo? What are you doing with the parts? When I saw this set at TRU I was so amazed by the size, and then instantly thought "Yeah right, what parent would spend that kind of money on that giant set?" My second thought was that the parts had a good potential for some interesting designs.