Sign in to follow this  
Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for Roman sets

Hello everybody! :classic:

In the last time there have been very interesting discussions about whether TLG should release a Roman theme - and the result was that the majority of members would really like to see some Roman sets. :thumbup:

Now the question is: What Roman sets would you like TLG producing?

Ideas, proposals and comments are welcome! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

-An arena, a battle chariot, some gladiators,

-a fortress, a ballista and legionairs,

a Roman villa, aquaducts.

The way I see it, they might be divided in two major categories:

-MILITARY

Here, the main enemy might be the barbarians or they might specify a tribe - like the Gauls, the Huns or something like that, but I think it would be better if they stick with the broader concept - barbarians.

Possible sets:

• Roman border patrol - 2 soldiers with a ballista vs two barbarians;
  • Roman outpost - A small lookout tower guarded by soldiers with crossbows against barbarians who are using a battering ram;
  • Roman supply carriage - A wagon loaded with gold and weapons and tug by two horses with a small convoy is being assailed by barbarians who have organized a roadblock with a few cut tree trunks;
  • Barbarian village assault - A few huts in which the barbarians live are being attacked by legionnaires (or should I say LEGOionnaires :) who are using an immolation ammo ballista;

It would be quite close to LEGO Castle in flavor.

-CIVILIAN

Here we might see a variety of structures which were quite abundant in large Roman cities, due to their excellence in architecture.

• A bathhouse and an aqueduct supplying it with water;
  • A small arena for theatrical plays and gladiator fights;
  • A courthouse;
  • A farm, including a small vineyard;
  • A temple of Jupiter or some other god;

and many more ...

Temples , fortresses , boats , a battle arena with lego lions and the like.( Doubt they would do lego christians to feed the lions though . Not so pc methinks.)

You could have Egyptians , Persians and savages as enemies.

Throw in a few Gods and Goddesses and other mythical folk could be awesome.

I'd like to see war elephants

That would be awesome indeed. Never thought of that one.

Siege of the Gallic Village: 3 legionaires, 1 centurion, 4 barbarians. Barbarian village and a ballista.

German Ambush: 2 legionaires, 1 centurion, 2 barbarians, 1 berzerker. Some trees

Charge of the Sassanids: 4 late imperial legionaires, 1 emperor, 2 Persian Savaran, 5 Persian infantrymen, war elephant with 2 Indians on board. Some rocks and sand.

Trireme: 12 slave rowers, 4 marines, one admiral.

Gladitorial Arena: 5 gladiators, several spectators, 1 emperor, 2 Praetorian guards.

Hun Invasion: 1 mounted Hun, 2 Hun foot soldiers, 2 civilians, 1 legionaire. A column and a merchant's booth.

Sorry to be mr correct, but lego doesn't want to offend anybody, so they wouldn't do persians and indians and slaves.

Also, could someone tell me if theres a differents between gallics and celtics.

If I may quote from De Bello Gallicum:

"those who are called Celts in their own language and who we call the Gauls"

or something close to that :classic:

Anything with Romans would be great :classic:

usual examples: arena, chariot (although not military), galley (will only be one row I presume), camp, some small sets, Impulse sets :D

TT

Sorry to be mr correct, but lego doesn't want to offend anybody, so they wouldn't do persians and indians and slaves.

I don't see what the problem is with that. If Lego would do Persians in a historically accurate way (unlike 300) then it would be accepted by the Iranian community. I can maybe understand why having slaves might be a problem, but they were historicaly accurate.

Alex12, why did you put an angry emoticon above your post? :tongue:

If we had a Romans theme I'dd like to see:

~An army builders kit! (who wouldn't!)

~A Roman feast

~An siege scene

~A colliseum

~Barabrian Ambush

~Sea Battle

I don't think that this will happen, though. Having slaves fight to the death for entertainment doesn't really meet up with TLC's values. Neither does having any slaves at all, worship and temples (I know that there's Christmas-themed sets but I don't think that those acually display Bible characters or churches) having the good guys be the attackers holding the city under seige and displaying real combatants in wars.

If this does happen (which would be SWEET!), it probably be something under the lines of "LEGO Ancients", which include many civilizations such as Greek/Romans, Egyptians and Barbarians.Some would be good guys and others bad and they'd have technic monsters. It still would be a good theme, just not as historically accurate as some of you guys are hoping for IMO.

:knight::thumbup:

If I may quote from De Bello Gallicum:

"those who are called Celts in their own language and who we call the Gauls"

or something close to that :classic:

Anything with Romans would be great :classic:

usual examples: arena, chariot (although not military), galley (will only be one row I presume), camp, some small sets, Impulse sets :D

TT

Thanks

If they do, you might be able to redo roman mafia.

lion vs gladiator, and the lion would be like the fenrir from the vikings line

These are all great proposals so far! :thumbup:

One thing I have to mention is that a Roman theme should be as historical accurate as possible!

And that's really not too difficult. Playmobil did a very good job with very accurate Roman and Egyptian sets - so why shouldn't Lego, too?! Plus there aren't more new bricks needed to make it historical accurate in comparison to all new bricks needed to make it not historical accurate - if only TLG wants to!

Here is one of my ideas which I really, really hope TLG would release if they did a Roman theme somewhere in the future:

Ancient Rome 200-250 Euros (S@H Exclusive)

Discover Ancient Rome!

Are you the owner of a taverna who serves thursty soldiers their wine? Or are you a rich Roman citizen having a big meal at home? O rare you a senator spending his free time in the thermae? Or are you one of the praetorians protecting the emperor? Or are you the princess being carried around the city in her litter? O rare you the emperor himself residing in his throne hall? It’s your choice!

This set consists of four parts:

1. Aqueduct, Caesar Statue And Litter

a small aqueduct (but tall enough that minifigs and carts are aible to cross it), a statue of Caesar and a litter which accomodate one minifig and is carried by two minifigs

including a golden tumbler

minifigs: the princess, two male slaves (to carry the litter)

2. Thermae

a thermae with entrance and a fountain and a well decorated baths inside

accessory: some bath towels

minifigs: two senators, one female slave

3. Roman Villa

A Roman villa with

first floor: entrance with atrium in the middle, little taverna on the right side and dining room on the left side

second floor: (atrium in the middle,) bedroom on the right side and balcony on the left side

including some tumblers, some apples, some cherries, a golden plate and a chicken leg

minifigs: taverna owner, rich Roman citizen, his wife

4. Emperor’s Throne Hall

a throne hall for the emperor with big entrance, portico and a big throne plus some statues inside

including two golden tumblers, two golden plates, some apples and some cherries

minfigs: two praetorians, the emperor

More ideas will follow in the next days and weeks! :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

Looks like most of the suggestions that would have made are already taken care of...

Do you think a historically accurate roman theme will sell ?

I love the new castle because its pure fantasy . I just leave off the rocket launchers lego keep adding.

With all the great mythical creatures and beings around if lego ever produced roman sets i would think fantasy elements would be included.

A roman boat would be cool.

A roman boat being attacked by a sea monsters would be awesome.

Also, could someone tell me if theres a differents between gallics and celtics.

Gallics lived in France, the Celts in England. The Germans lived in what is now Germany and all together they are called the Barbarians.

It would be awesome if this theme would be released somewhere in the future. :sweet:

Do you think a historically accurate roman theme will sell ?

I love the new castle because its pure fantasy . I just leave off the rocket launchers lego keep adding.

With all the great mythical creatures and beings around if lego ever produced roman sets i would think fantasy elements would be included.

A roman boat would be cool.

A roman boat being attacked by a sea monsters would be awesome.

I have to disagree with you. I do think a historically accurate theme will sell. I know people, who still had bought sets if TLC kept releasing non-fantasy sets. And the fantasy part is also the reason why I haven't bought the new Castle sets. Only the Knight Impulse set, and maybe I'm gonna buy the Knights Battle Pack and Medieval Market Village, but there is not a single skeleton or troll included in these sets.

Why not seperate the fantasy part? As you describe it, about the roman boat, I will only buy it if there's no fantasy in it. A seperate sold sea monster would be a solution, you can add it to the roman boat if you want. Maybe add some extra pieces, and make it possible to create your own monster, if that's what you like.

I think LEGO has already gone too far, and should get back to his roots.

I think LEGO adds fantasy things in it to add more playability. Remember LEGO is also for children, and they like to play with it.

I don't like the fantasy items in the castle sets either but for me it's not a reason to not to buy them.

I'm not a dragon and wizard guy. :hmpf_bad:

The market village for example, is one of my favorite sets ever. Very realistic and historic accurate, no fantasy stuff like skellies and so on in there.

However, I still like it to see large skellie and dragon armies for example. Fantasy can be very cool but it shouldn't be mixed with the realistic things.

I have to disagree with you. I do think a historically accurate theme will sell. I know people, who still had bought sets if TLC kept releasing non-fantasy sets. And the fantasy part is also the reason why I haven't bought the new Castle sets. Only the Knight Impulse set, and maybe I'm gonna buy the Knights Battle Pack and Medieval Market Village, but there is not a single skeleton or troll included in these sets.

Why not seperate the fantasy part? As you describe it, about the roman boat, I will only buy it if there's no fantasy in it. A seperate sold sea monster would be a solution, you can add it to the roman boat if you want. Maybe add some extra pieces, and make it possible to create your own monster, if that's what you like.

I think LEGO has already gone too far, and should get back to his roots.

I totally agree with you, Richie, since I couldn't have expressed myself better than you did with this statement! :thumbup:

The current "Castle" theme is - apart from the awesome MVV (but which is an Exclusive) - imo really :sick: !

Playmobil shows that kids not neccessarily need fantasy creatures in order to have much fun playing with toys. :thumbup:

If TLG releases a Roman theme which would be like the current "Castle" theme (meaning with many fantasy creatures, a lot of war vehicles that never have been existing and other fatal historical uncorrectness) where is then the difference to the current "Castle" theme (when you don't count the different torsos) and where is then the voice which says "What beautiful sets - I really must have them!"?! :wacko:

Fantasy can be very cool but it shouldn't be mixed with the realistic things.

I totally agree with you, Cap'n Blackmoor! :thumbup:

There is only one single theme in which I'd like to see this mixture: a ghost town theme as subtheme of the Western theme.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Gallics lived in France, the Celts in England. The Germans lived in what is now Germany and all together they are called the Barbarians.

It would be awesome if this theme would be released somewhere in the future. :sweet:

Actually barbarian was the Latin word for "foreigner" so anyone who wasn't Italian was a "barbarian".

I also would very much like to see Roman/ ancient world themed sets of any kind.

It would be nice to see the elephant again in the war elephnt set. A huge war ship same in size to the troll warship or viking ship and a legionaire would make a great impulse set. :thumbup:

Okay, another set lego might make would be something like "Border wall siege". It would Be a wall that has a mixture of wooden element and stone element. It would have a some food in it. Some barrels and cups. 3 legionairys (one of which might have the stereotypical more "Greekish" looking helmet"), a centurion, 2 barbarians (One with a horned helmet, one with the cc soldier helmet), a female "Servant" (Less controversial sounding than slave) a battering ram, a defence balista, an axe, 2 short swords, 2 roman shilelds, 1 barbarian shield, about 10 spears (The way lego goes, some will be part of the ram, and some will be part of the wall), a chrome longsword, and a standard :wub: