Sign in to follow this  
starstreak

Review: 8971 Aerial Defense Unit

You know you want it, right?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. You know you want it, right?

• Yup! I gotta have it at any price!
    • Yes! I'll pay up to what Lego is selling it for.
    • Maybe.. If the price came down.
    • No. This set isn't worth it.

indexed.gif

This review will be on the 8971 Aerial Defense Unit.

3565606957_df67a9ce08_o.jpg

Save the City with the ultimate Agents air vehicle!

Red alert for Agents Chase, Charge and Swift! Dr. Inferno’s hot-headed henchman Magma Commander is unleashing his magma-drones on the City. Your Mission: to destroy his satellite broadcaster and neutralize the drones! To do it, you’ll need the newest Agents aerial defense vehicle, the enormous, gadget-packed twin-propeller Agent Chopper!

•Includes 7 minifigures: Agents Chase, Trace &Charge, Magma Commander & 3 Magma Drones!

•Twin-propeller activates by pulling trigger on handle!

•Zip lines take Agents into action!

•Open the side doors to play inside Agents’ command center with computers and added gadgets!

•Aerial Defense helicopter measures over 17 inches (43.2cm) long!

Set Name: Agents: 8971 Aerial Defense Unit

Theme: Agents

Released: 2009

Pieces: 733

Price: $109.99/78.50EUR/69.12GBP (Just a little note: Lego sells it for $79.99, TRU online is $89.99, my local TRU was a whopping $109.99, which is where I got the price from.)

Here are some quicklinks lego.com, brickset

Wanna see some pictures? Let's start with the normal box arts and manuals!

Box Front

3560308070_5d33df5b09.jpg

Box Rear

3559497787_59c0493930.jpg

Now here's something most people didn't see untill now. The back of the box. It shows you the entire cast and what other tricks the helicopter can do!

The side of the box

3560311296_3a6e631153.jpg

Bag-o-parts

3560086217_d5f81d19ac.jpg

The two instruction books

3560088549_c731c1db5f.jpg

Parts list

3560907790_25b549d137.jpg

Some inside pages of the manual

3560905332_853b1b007b.jpg

3560910384_d2b1c8d2ce.jpg

3560097759_e3b57ce0c6.jpg

3560099041_c0aa9e7a1a.jpg

Meet the cast of this set

3561537132_ebb984bba7.jpg

Front. Three Magma-drones, Magma Commander and the Agents team-Chase, Charge(wearing the new armor) & Swift(holding the new armor.)

3561537392_8e2cbfa9cb.jpg

Rear photo. On Agent Charge, you can see the stud that would attach himself to the zip-line.

New body armor/zip line attachment

3561538118_f47d824e1d.jpg

Here you can see a close up of Agent Swift holding the new, printed body armor. The armor has one stud in the back that would allow it to be attached to the zip line for a quick drop on the enemy. I think Lego did a good job with it by not using a sticker on it. At least it's not as non-detailed as some of the add-ons for some Clone troopers. As for Agent Swift, she's different from Agent Trace, in that she went with a "Irina Spalko" wanna be haircut, instead of long brown hair like Agent Trace. Btw, You know, Irina Spalko is that lady from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. With a bowl cut, haircut.

The Jet-ski

3560722831_1b8e314062.jpg

3561540790_67d7d662da.jpg

Front and rear photo. About 10 pieces are used to build it. I think this is a bit out of place, but Lego wanted a interesting gadget for the back of the helicopter. You can't sit a Agent in the seat and have him come popping out of the rear of the copter. For one thing, it's loaded in forward and another is, this helicopter isn't a water capable. So dropping out the rear blind really wouldn't be in the best of care for the Agent.

The enemy base

3561540436_f8f3b5146f.jpg

3560721299_93085d305b.jpg

3561539614_f80623e21e.jpg

3561540136_a3eca2e33b.jpg

Here are some all around shots of the base of Dr. Inferno. While there are some rare pieces like the brown rock wall, I didn't think there was enough to call it a base. I supposed if you let your imagination run wild, you can picture this as the entrance only and you're supposed to make up the rest of the layer. Anyways, in the photo of the back of the entrance, you can see how things work. At the top, you have the huge radar dish. You can rotate it by turning that black knob in the back. It uses some gears to turn 90 degrees to pivot the dish. Also, you can see what appears to be a docking station for the magma-drone. Above the station, you have a lookout area with a large screen to show what coming. In this case, the Agent's Helicopter. How the bad guys get up to the look out I don't know. No ladder. In the front, you have the handle to open and close the "mouth" entrance gate. Of course, there's a gun/camera to shoot whoever maybe standing there trying to get in.

The Agents Command Helicopter

3565524956_212f3b8770.jpg

The main reason why I got this set is for this great looking vehicle! Twin-rotors. Very original! You don't really need to have a tail rotor if you have the dual-counter rotating main blades. But I guess TLC didn't want it to look too strange for the kid buyer in all of us. Although, I don't know what kid had $100 to throw at this set.

3565568860_ea24822fe1.jpg

Here is the front view. Here you can see dual cannons on either side that can be rotated but not raised or lowered. The cockpit canopy can be opened. Not something people could see in the box art, but there is a co-pilot seat. This set cries out for more than 3 Agents. Let's see how many Agents would be needed... A pilot and a co-pilot/gunner.

3565566480_9848246e7a.jpg

Here is a rear shot. Again, nicely detailed. I like the small black engines used. You don't see to many of those. Using a little red stud for effect comes off nice. Multiple locations on this helicopter, you will find a left/red and right/green light bricks. Not lighted bricks, but what would be signal lights on a real helicopter. Again, good attention to detail.

3564742937_b5c957c3df.jpg

Here is a top view. Can't really tell the twin rotors are at an angle, but now you can see how smooth and contoured the top is.

3564744285_50004b5977.jpg

The underside. I personally think they used a bit too much yellow. But then again, the Agents "colors" are for the most parts, Dark blue, Yellow, and silver. Another misplaced color is the red.

3565558518_af2c6e7c88.jpg

Here is the cockpit with the canopy opened. You see Agent Chase in the pilot seat. The red behind him is the co-pilot/gunner seat, and behind that, you can see two rather large spools that hold the zip lines for the left and right drop lines. The grey hubs on either side of the helicopter you see in the picture is what you use to wind up the zip lines. The yellow peg holds on a the black gear the zip line so it doesn't unwind when not needed.

3565568222_f28c738626.jpg

Another view with Agent Chase getting into the cockpit. And now you can get a closeup view of the copilot seat. Also in better view is the grey hub and yellow lever just to the back of the co-pilot seat.

3565563752_f7936b75cf.jpg

Here is a direct rear-view of the helicopter. A bit hard to tell, but that red square is the back of the seat for the Jet-ski.

3564746519_fc2dc59f87.jpg

Here I made Agent Chase pull double duty and load in the Jet-ski. This photo took the longest to shoot. Lol! On a smooth table and trying to get the jet-ski to stay at an angle with a Agent standing behind it took about 5 minutes of fussing. I was one minute away of just using tape and Photoshoping the tape out.

3565559992_a08cd09679.jpg

And here's where you finally get to see the side doors open. I bet you didn't know both front and back opens, huh? Anyways, I took this shot so you can see the jet-ski loaded in the back.

3564711879_8f008d77b5.jpg

Here is photo with the single rear door open. Notice the computer and yellow standing pad. A Agent could be standing here doing computer work. If you're playing our game of how many Agents are needed, this is #3.

3565551174_40c9b645dc.jpg

And here is the front door open with Agent Charge on the zip line! That zip line holds extra gear for him when he is lowered. As you can see, that would be his gun and walkie-talkie. Agent Charge makes #4. If you look inside still, that round grey disk is the backside of Agent's Swift zip-pac. LOL! If you're from Hawaii, you'll catch the joke about "Zip pac". Ahem. That make Agent #5, and of course the back rear of the helicopter also hold another computer terminal on the door, so that's #6. And Agent #7 would be for the Jet-ski. Wow. Wouldn't it have been cool to have a command center with the actual amount of minifigs?

3565553364_3a47bb5e7a.jpg

Here is both door swung away differently. This is one of the few shots if you view the "bigger" photo of it, you can see the inside well. There's a column in the middle that houses four extra gear.

3565555860_01f7d5140a.jpg

Another front view with all four doors open. In this shot I focused on the "gears" for the helicopter blades to show you some detail.

And for your enjoyment, an example of the twin-blades at work!

Final Photo

3566641298_0e4c46f08e.jpg

Here is the combined photo of the set. Same one I used for the title picture. First time I did a title photo, I hope it came out well enough. With a white background, it's a bit hard to tell that the helicopter is really in the air. It is. I just cleaned it up a little so you couldn't see what held it up.

Features

This set does rank up there as the #2 set to get for the Agent series just behind the real 8635: Lego Agent: Mobile Command Center. They do give "only" three Agents and four bad guys. Many accessories for the gadget oriented Agent. Everything from binoculars, guns, Walkie-Talkies, etc. The Helicopter is great! Many parts that move including a working dual-blade main rotor. A so-called base for the baddies that you can blow the cra.. I mean blow up.

My rating:

Playability: 5 out of 5. Nice! This set seems very playable! Nothing seems very fragile, except that the "base" seems very sparse.

Design: 4 out of 5. The helicopter is the reason why I bought this set. It's very well designed. The only real gripe is that the helicopter really doesn't need a tail rotor because it uses two main blades to counter act the rotational effect a single main rotor would produce. And again, I still think the base was a afterthought. Not enough pieces to be really good, and yet, if thy left it out, this set would be missing something for the helicopter to attack.

Build experience: 4 out of 5. Comparing to other Agent sets. I think only the Mobile Command Center is harder. Only thing I think some people may have an issue is with putting on the stickers straight, and tying the string used for lowering the agents.

Overall: 4 out of 5. I love the set! Is it worth the $79.99 that Lego wants for it? Yes! Is it worth the $100+ that I paid from the local TRU for? No. I would say it's one of the more original designs that Lego has come up with. I don't remember Lego ever making a dual rotor helicopter.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

All photos are click able for larger, bigger-than-life picture sizes! You can see all photos used here: Agents: 8971 Aerial Defense Unit

I saw this in the Academy. Nice set, bit expensive..

Thanks for the review, though. :thumbup:

~A.S.

This is a really beautiful set. Thanks for the great review; :wub: I really want this set. I wonder if this could be the first non-technic set to include universal joints...

I'm very un-impressed by the Magma-drones, but the new studded armour will be usefull. I wonder why Trace got a hair cut; perhaps she was sick of having trouble sitting down.... :tongue:

On a side note, that door reminds me of domo-kun. Who? This guy...

post-1554-1243340976.jpeg

I love this helicopter, it looks awesome, I'm not a fan of the agents theme, but some vehicles are really cool, like this copter! and you did a Great review of it !!

Edited by Guss

Nice set, but it makes me really wish I bought last year's huge Agents truck when it was $70 because it has so many pieces.

I'll stick with my Dino Attack helicopter that I got on clearance for $35.

And $110 TRU... please just go out of business already!

This set is above average for me. Having bought it last Friday, I wouldn't call mediocre, but since I bought it at TRU (with Space Truck Getaway) I just don't feel like I got my moneys worth. It is an Agents set, though, and as expected, the Mini-figs are great. I never had a Breakjaw helmet before this, and the Commander's head is very nice. Good set, but maybe not worth going to TRU for it.

CT

Starstreak, my fellow teacher, you did an awesome job reviewing this new set!

I find this one of the few sets outside Pirates which I would actually buy when I had money for it.

The new Body Armors look good too!

Your review is exceptional! And this set is quite nice too. The vehicle is really well detailed, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. I wasn't sure about it at first, but your review may have sold me.

Unfortunately, I won't be buying it at TRU's outrageous prices, and maybe not even at LEGO's original price, since I have so much else to buy. Oh well, I may pick it up eventually.

Thanks for the nice review. :thumbup: This set looks awesome I love that it has counter rotating blades :thumbup: I also find it strange that they put a tail rotor on but its not that big of a problem .

Thanks for the nice coments. I did forget to mention about those drones looking a bit funny that Lego didn't remove the neck markings as they do show up being that they drones have no real head. :sceptic:

For future reviews, clearer larger photos of the figures would be nice. Beyond that, nice review.

Steve

On a side note, that door reminds me of domo-kun. Who? This guy...

post-1554-1243340976.jpeg

That's exactly what I thought! :laugh: Maybe it's because I was just looking at a Lego Domo on brickshelf the otherday! :grin: Any how... Amazing review for an amazing set starstreak! :sweet: I'm glad that you added a video on how the propellers spin good job! :thumbup:

I saw this the other day at TRU, and contemplated buying it. I decided not to because the price was far too high. I'll probably get it once it is available at TLG's price.

There are so many sets coming out this year that I will probably skip on this one until the future, even though this review really makes me want to buy it. I really love Lego helicopters :classic: .

Anyways, good job on the review.

Ummm. Lots of dark blue (Republic Blue). :cry_happy:

You kidding,right? You do know all my photos are clickable to larger than life size photos. :)

For future reviews, clearer larger photos of the figures would be nice. Beyond that, nice review.

Steve

It was a great review, and I love the figs. :wub: I want this set, but not enough to pay TRU price for it. :sick: Maybe if it goes on sale. One thing though, could we get a shot of the Magma commander with his helmet off? Please? :blush:

Looks great :thumbup:

Thanks for the review. Clear, consice and lots of helpful pictures :classic:

I think the robots need a bit of modification, the little "base" will work well in my planned MOCs... I am going to be getting all the Agents sets, it's the only theme I am really interested in this year.

You kidding,right? You do know all my photos are clickable to larger than life size photos. :)

And in addition, if your photos hadn't been up to par we wouldn't have given you that shiny golden tag in the Academy. ;]

Anywho, great review. I might get this despite my dark age. I just wish the base was better...

Looks like a cool set, great review :D

I love how Wicket is on the zipline in the last pic ;D

Nice review, very helpfull, I think that the helicopter is the only good bit really and i hate those drones oh why oh why lego. Anyway it would be nice to have that helicopter. Thanks for that review though

Starstreak, you review is great! Unfortunately, this set isn't.

Starstreak, you review is great! Unfortunately, this set isn't.

Really? I thought the Heli was great! Well... The more I play with it, it's "good". I'm finding the inside is a bit cramped. It's a bit hard to get everybody inside standing. But still, it's a good idea. :)

Really? I thought the Heli was great! Well... The more I play with it, it's "good". I'm finding the inside is a bit cramped. It's a bit hard to get everybody inside standing. But still, it's a good idea. :)

I agree that the more you play with a set, the more you like it. The dual-bladed helicopter is a great idea, something I've never seen done before in Lego form. The inside might be a good place to mod it, and maybe make enough spce so that the jet ski can shoot out the back, maybe even make the jet ski a four-wheeler or something like that. :classic: