Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Deutsche Bahn (DB) Classic Train

traintech1.jpg

I've always wanted to build a Lego version of LGB's passenger train starter set. Unfortunately, I never had the right pieces, but attempted it once or twice before, to no prevail. As I was admiring Panda's recent review of Classic 12V set 7710 Push Along Passenger Steam Train, I thought to myself, I love these old classics and this time I'm going to build one. Fortunately, the new Emerald Night has 10 tan train windows allowing me to create the passenger wagons.

I broke out 3225 Classic Train to create the wagon bases and red passenger wagon, and the engine would provide the perfect DB-style engine with the addition of some green bricks and revised smoke stack.

Here's the result of my efforts, a DB Classic Train.

s4.jpg New Picture 5/19/09

The ENGINE:

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

PASSENGER WAGON #1:

02wag1.jpg

PASSENGER WAGON #2:

03wag3.jpg

COMPLETE TRAIN:

04a.jpg

00dbtrain.jpg

LGB's VERSION:

70302.jpg

Brickster, you are very talented. Being a clueless train fan like myself, picking up the trade, I seriously thought this was an official LEGO Classic Train set. :thumbup:

I was searching for the set number up and down, realising that it was a MOC. Classic Trains sure look very nicely fitted in your current town scene. The color combinations are used nicely. It give me a feeling like those classic toy train in the 1980s, made of those wooden blocks or so.

Pardon me for asking, but what does "DB" and "LGB" version stands for? :blush:

I hope I do not look dumb by asking that. :tongue:

Thanks for the feedback WF.

what does "DB" and "LGB" version stands for? :blush:

DB stands for Deutsche Bahn and is Germany's national railway company. I never knew the exact connection, but many early Lego trains had the insignia. Classic Lego train engines were also black and red, very similar to German locomotives.

LGB is Lehmann Gross Bahn, one of the oldest "G" scale toy train companies. "G" scale is Garden-sized or "Big Train". I remember as a kid, going into expensive toy shops seeing them in the store windows and behind glass counters. I enjoyed looking at them and admiring all the exquisite details, thus one of the reasons I wanted to build the "old starter set" in Lego.

On a side note, LGB had some sort of relationship with Playmobil (both German companies) and I think was making the classic Playmobil trains. They ran on the large brass LGB track. I own an LGB train (freight starter set) and Playmobil, but I've always wanted to make one out of Lego.

The fine details aren't present in my MOC, but rather the simpler design of early Lego trains.

What a luverly holiday-type-of-train... Looks so cheerful! Can't say I've seen those LGBs, but then again Playmobil & the likes was even MORE rare in Bulgaria than LEGO when I was growing up :/ Anyway, there's something else I wanted to ask -- do I also see a new train station in this latest version of your tabletop town? Do share! :]

I'm currently on the lookout for a set of second-hand 9V railway tracks, speed regulator, wires, etc... generally the whole nine(-volt) yards - thank you for the advice, btw, very much appreciated! Hopefully, sometime later on in the summer we'll be joining you in posting such neat tabletown layouts :wink:

Nice Train Brickster! The coaches look just like the LGB and Playmobile trains that I always wanted, but never got, as a child. They are spot on for the originals, but small enough to be buildable by other train fans. The DB decals are a very nice touch.

As to the engine, the boiler and other details are good, but the cab needs some work. The walls are a bit bulky, and it needs some more windows.

there's something else I wanted to ask -- do I also see a new train station in this latest version of your tabletop town? Do share! :]

Yes, I picked up the new station. I love it, and it goes so well with old Main Street. You can check out more pictures by clicking the Train Town picture in my signature.

I'm currently on the lookout for a set of second-hand 9V railway tracks, speed regulator, wires, etc... generally the whole nine(-volt) yards - thank you for the advice

You bet! I think your doing the right thing. :wink: I look forward to seeing your layout.

As to the engine, the boiler and other details are good, but the cab needs some work. The walls are a bit bulky, and it needs some more windows.

Strangely, it's pretty much the same as the engine from 3225 Classic Train, but I replaced the black bricks with green (minus two 1x1s with a vertical bar on each side - where the round 1x1s appear now). In looking at it now, it does look a bit bulky (like a green wall). Perhaps I'll modify to my own liking. Thanks for your constructive critisism and good eye for details.

And thanks to Imperial Shadows and his fantastic decal designs, I printed some of his decals from his 182 train set designs. Modifying a few of the colors for the "1" and "2" decals plus creating a new "DB" decal, I was able to create this:

s1.jpg

Engine

s2.jpg

Red Wagon

s3.jpg

Blue Wagon

s4.jpg

New Decal Train

It's getting there!

Yes, I picked up the new station.

Ooops, I didn't notice this was actually 7997... haven't seen too many photos of it. Looks great, but nothing beats 4554. :cry_happy: However, this one does definitely look like a better match for classic town 70's MOC or building, seeing as it's a bit more compact.

Ooops, I didn't notice this was actually 7997... haven't seen too many photos of it. Looks great, but nothing beats 4554. :cry_happy:

Except for maybe the red version.

However, this one does definitely look like a better match for classic town 70's MOC or building, seeing as it's a bit more compact.

I like the smaller train with it as well. It has that "classic feel/look" about it.

LGB's VERSION:

70302.jpg

Hah, the fun thing is, I actually own that. It might still up in the attic at the country house! I really liked the design of this train and I tried making a version myself, but I never took a photo of it and this was long before I joined EB. :cry_sad:

Edited by AgentRick57

Great work, I like the colors and how you built it. I have to admit, I misread the title at first glance :blush:

Great job, a very LEGOified representation of a classic. :thumbup:

Oh, and it's nice to see my decals could help out a little, they look pretty natural there. :classic:

Keep up the great work, our resident Train Technician. :sweet: