WesternOutlaw

Bandit's Secret Hideout Photo Review 2

continued from review: PART 1

The separate mountain piece to the right of the mine is a simple BURP with bush on top:

hill.jpg

I like the water tower; although not tall, but it does tip over. It also has a water spout piece (not viewable in this image):

watertower.jpg

I love this baseplate. Just wish I had more than one:

baseplate.jpg

Here's the figs (no one special):

gang2.jpg

The cannon on wheels, although a mining car would have been nice as well:

cannon.jpg

And a horse with a rifle box on one side and a safe on the other:

burrow2.jpg

burrow1.jpg

Also; not pictured, is a small hiding place for gold under a 2x3 brick attached to the skull and KEEP OUT :^D sign.

Summary

Overall, this is a great medium sized set. I love the mine and the idea of a secret outlaw hideout within. The fig assortment is good and contains three horses (one in each color). You can probably get this set on EBAY for about $70 - $100 plus (US Dollars). It's a great set and I find it very unique - I would definately buy if I did not have. It was not re-released.

Is it a nonshooting canon? because my goldmine came with a shooting canon, which looks different from the one in your picture.

BTW very good review, thebrickster.

I, too, would like to recommend this set to anyone who liked the western sets just a little. I remeber playing alot with this sets when I got it back in 1996, that was wonderfull times *wub*

I recall people who reviewed this set mentioning that it did not come with the European shooting cannons. Maybe the sets in Europe did have shooting cannons, but unfortunately, mine did not.

Did the pirate sets have shooting as well? Please share an image of what one looks like. I've never seen these here in the U.S.

In terms of the price, I think this set is well worth $40 US, and among my favorites when first purchasing. I would pay a lot more if I did not own this set. It's just a neat set.

As I'm looking at the horse and a few of the other images, I notice the dust on the darker plates. Need to do a little dusting I suppose...

I remeber playing alot with this sets when I got it back in 1996, that was wonderfull times *wub*

Funny you should say that, I feel the same way about the 80s...

No, these didn't come out until the mid 90s and I bought them a few years after that, but I do remember setting up some of the classic pirate and castles sets that you're so fond of (I'm Lego-carbon dating myself now). I still have a few of these. 80s sets were awesome! - esp. pirate, castle, and city.

I know the western sets were released between 96-98, but I couldn't resist the temptation of being a smart MegaBlokie!

I know the western sets were released between 96-98, but I couldn't resist the temptation of being a smart MegaBlokie!

ok, quit trying to be smart! - you're just looking to debate. I'm trying to share some images of what I believe are great sets.

Not sure how I'd expect a debate out of that, but I've got a good debate going about whether Knights Kingdom is the latest sub-theme of Castle!

But my smart comments do you a favour because they bump the thread back up to the top. I very much doubt they're going to prevent anyone from looking at your wonderful reviews. The only thing that's going to do that is the threads disappearing to the second or third page!

I've always thought the set didn't include a weird cannon (with the crossed cannons on the weapon).

Or am I wrong? :huh:

Erik: the cannon is pictured above but it is the one with the crossed cannon emblem. Also, it does not shoot (at least in the American version).

Why is TLC making such cannons who don't shoot?

:huh:

I can't imagine why someone prefer these cannons above the original.

On the subject of this great set...

I always wished Lego had made a large mine track set with mine cars that could be raced. (Think WW meets donkey kong).

God Bless,

Nathan

continued from review Part 1

It would probably be of great convenience if you replaced "continued..." with a link to Part 1. Given that the reviews might be on two different pages and a lot of users only check the first page, it may cause some to wonder where the second part is.

Why is TLC making such cannons who don't shoot?

:huh:

I can't imagine why someone prefer these cannons above the original.

I always heard the European sets had shooting cannons. These would have been great. None of my Wild West or Pirate cannons shoot. :( Probably a safety issue?

I always wished Lego had made a large mine track set with mine cars that could be raced. (Think WW meets donkey kong).

God Bless,

Nathan

I thought about this as well. A long mine track would have been awesome. I don't even have any rail pieces to extend the track.

God Bless,

Nathan

I thought about this as well. A long mine track would have been awesome. I don't even have any rail pieces to extend the track.

A playset similar to the set for the Great Escape (movie) would work brilliantly and wouldn't eveen require that much backdrop/be too piece intensive...

God Bless,

Nathan

A playset similar to the set for the Great Escape (movie) would work brilliantly and wouldn't eveen require that much backdrop/be too piece intensive... Nathan

Agree. That would be great. Great movie too!

not really gettin the hose with rifle box and safe does the rifle box top lift up so i can put rifles in it. my cousin has this set and put a table against the "office" wall and then put the chair in front of the table. if that doesn't make sence the chair had its back to the door.