Mr. Lego-builder

PHOTO REVIEW: Hospital (7892)

This is my first review, so I only have medium-quality pictures because the review was not planned very well. Also, as a newbie at this, I might not do this "correctly," but that doesn't mean that I'll be soft on the review. Here goes...

Let us begin with the MINIFIGURES

This set includes 4 (four) minifigures. Two doctors and one surgeon along with a patient. The shirts/torsos on the doctors are new. So is the surgeon's.

dscf0621.jpg

The set includes a little CAR with a design very similar to the Fire Chief car. On the back there is a opening to store the included suitcase. Nothing special. Actually in my opinion, it is a little dull and bland.

dscf0608.jpg

The HELICOPTER is either a huge dissapointment or a dream come true (at least part of it is). The rotors on the helicopter (and almost everything else as a matter of fact) is made of all natural pieces, making the overall size of the helicopter about half the size of the police and fire helicopters. Placed along side them makes the medical helicopter seem like a dwarf. Placed along classic helicopters, the size is perfect. The helicopter itself is very badly designed. It looks more like it was thrown together in 5 minutes. As a prototype, I would let it go. As a final design, absolutely unacceptable. The stretcher just clips on to the sides of the helicopter. The badly hurt victum get injured every minute of his trip to the hospital. (This will negatively impact the set's final score...) But there is (mildly) good news...it includes a new printed tile piece design.

dscf0612.jpg

Ok, enough rampage on that, time to get to the main building: the HOSPITAL itself.

The front of the hospital is not too good, not too bad. The (unapplied) stickers try to enchance the look of the front, but it does little to the completed building. The baseplate it rests on is NOT A PRINTED DESIGN! There are stickers everywhere on this thing (and on the helicopter and car too)!!

dscf0631.jpg

All/any of the designs except for the control panel slope, the computer pieces and the control panel tile on the helicopter. Yes ALL the grass designs are completely add-ons as stickers. Have fun putting all those stickers!! The stairs is another story. Probably one of the best designed pieces of the set. The handrail lines up perfectly and realisticly modelled.

dscf0614.jpg

The garage for the car on the left is uneventful. Need a model? Look at the one in the fire station, change the colors to red and white and you've got it.

The helicopter landing pad is even worse! All those supports arranged in random positions make it an unsightly piece of the model. Where the patients in the helicopter get loaded off is even more confusing. There is no elevator, stairs, etc., to get up to the third floor where the operating room is.

dscf0629.jpg

Speaking of the operating room , lets talk about that for a minute or two. It is surprisingly well-designed compared to the rest of the set. On the equipment rack includes a circular saw, another saw, yet another one of the mechanical hands, and some other medical instrument I can't seem to figure out what it's supposed to be. There is also a light and a place to place the strecher on (the two blue slope bricks).

dscf0619.jpg

Down one level is the recovery room with two hospital beds with a sticker on the end with a heart monitor design (not applied) both beds have cups on the "tables" positioned next to them. One of them has some sort of thingy (I can't seem to remember what it is called). Other than this the room is totally unexciting.

dscf0618.jpg

On the first level is the visitor's/reception's desk with a white flat panel computer (with a new detailed white keyboard tile piece) and a blue chair. Nothing more to say because there is nothing more to talk about.

dscf0620.jpg

Actually there is nothing more to say about anything else. I think I have covered just about everything, so I guess it is time to get to the final verdict.

Drum roll please....

FINAL VERDICT: 7/10 (Points off for the badly designed helicopter, helicopter landing pad, garage and a bland set overall)

MINIFIGURES: 9/10

CAR: 7/10

HELICOPTER: 5/10

MAIN HOSPITAL (including garage and helicopter landing pad): 7/10

Comments are always welcome. As a matter of fact, I would like you to especially comment on this review since it is the first one I have ever done. If you want or need more pictures, please post your request here.

Thanks for reading! ;) ;)

**Here is the full gallery when moderated.**

Great review! It was really well done, in my opinion.

The Helicopter looks neat to me, but, being a castle head, I'm not really sure what it looks like next to other copters.

The figs are nice, and I really like those stairs.

The helicopter pad does look a bit unsighty, but I like that there is a walk way from the landing pad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one of the first sets to have that?

Once again, great review. :-D

For a "newbie" that was an excellent review! I never really liked the Hospital, and never planned on getting it, for just the reasons you posted (and I'm pre-med and work in a hospital in my spare time)! It seems almost like they tried TOO hard to make it like sets of old (lacking stairs between floors, the garage, the helicopter, etc. They tried...but couldn't capture the magic. The baseplate is horrendous to me. I like the copter, except for the way the patient is carried, but more important to me, the cockpit doesn't open!

Overall, I think you were quite generous with the overall ratings, I would've given it a 4/10, but I must say it was a very well done, thorough, and enjoyable review! You should think about doing more in the future

Overall, I think you were quite generous with the overall ratings, I would've given it a 4/10, but I must say it was a very well done, thorough, and enjoyable review! You should think about doing more in the future

Hmm...now that you think about it...I should have graded it lower. My original grade was a 6, but I decided to give TLC some slack...

Hey, great review! I would like to ask you opinion on the ramp thingy. It looks diffrent than the prototypes. Thanks for the review,

LEGOBMW

Thanks for the review, good job.

I agree with most of your thoughts. You proved my "suspicion" that you need at least two (if not three) sets to make a decent hospital. Maybe I'll get it when it's on sale...

great review, man!!

1) i was going to buy it, but now that i've seen it, i guess i'll use the money on other sets...

2) do you confirm that the no-stud-corners are stronger on this plate, than corners on normal studded baseplates?

3) can you take a pic of just the baseplate? just out of curiousity...

4) the main building looks nice, but the garage and the platform are nothing special, as you said

5) this operation room looks rather strange to me, looks like a torture chamber with these saws... :P

6) i would give it a 6/10: the baseplate was a very bad idea; the position of the garage doesn't make any sense; the helicopter is not really what you'd expect of a medical chopper these days; it seems to me those minifigs are rather "saving" this set from going under entirely...

7) based on your gallery photos, the printed tile of the helicopter is not new, it's from sw

As you know, I'm not a SW fan. Sorry for any confusion. I guess it's not a new piece after all. Thanks to snefroe for clearing that up! ;)

And I'll have those pictures up by the end of the day.

Tks a lot Bildur for your great review :oD !!!! Not bad at all for a newbie :D :P

I cannot say that I am disappointed by this set because I never thought it was going to be any good !!!

Like the Firestation, I will buy the set for the nice parts, MFs and vehicles.

I wouldn't want to be the sick dude on the copter's side :D Not very safe !!!

I am a little upset because the helicopter and small car are nearly a pale copy of the fire ones with a few differences.

I truly dislikes those baseplates *sick* Also, I am chocked to see thos vegetation stickers !! Not even printed on the baseplate *wacko*

Anyhow, I will definitly get this set !!

5) this operation room looks rather strange to me, looks like a torture chamber with these saws... :P

That's what I thought of, too. Brutal! :-D

The main tower looks good but the set has too much of an "action feel" to it, I think.

I'll get the set for the pieces, and build a hospital that's only at ground level. Lego wants to make every building a tall building, like in the big cities, and the result is usually sets like this. Lego should stick to buildings that don't have more than 1 floor...

Sort of like the Dacta hospital...That set feels like a hospital, and its not even very modern!

Dacta Hospital

what are they planning to do with that hacksaw :oo ?.

also why did they use uncle vernon's(HP) head for the paitient?

1) what are they planning to do with that hacksaw :oo ?.

2)also why did they use uncle vernon's(HP) head for the paitient?

1) Plastic Surgery

2) It was the only available face that could 'use' plastic surgery :-D

1) what are they planning to do with that hacksaw :oo ?.

2)also why did they use uncle vernon's(HP) head for the paitient?

1) Plastic Surgery

2) It was the only available face that could 'use' plastic surgery :-D

lol! Nice one.

Seriously a huge dissapointment.melt them(the hospitals down) make some classic castle.

Injured people would enjoy climbing the stairs.(not)

maybe a few parts in this set but thats about it.

another dissapointment by a company that is desperate to get out of financial trouble.

HELLO Go back to the good stuff.early 80's to early 90s *sick*

This set is such a Frankenstein's monster.... bits and pieces of lots of ideas (some good, some bad) that never seem to gel.

Like the little dune-buggy-type car. How many hospitals have something like that? Better to either go all the way and make a proper ambulance, or skip the car entirely and use the pieces to put more detail into the hospital.

And the yucca/cactus-type plants scattered around the baseplate. Is this a desert hospital? The minimal shrubbery (especially combined with the awful baseplate) just make it look rustic and desolate.

It almost feels like this was supposed to be another set originally but was quickly retro-fitted to be a hospital. |-/

Great review, though! Not your fault it is a somewhat disappointing set! :-D

hi!!!!!!

I think I would give this more points(I just got it :biggrin: )because lego hasent had a hospital in a LONG time. Also, if you put stairs in it, there woulnt be any space for something else. plus, most lego sets dont have stairs.

:ph34r:I stalk the night :ph34r:

I got the Spring S@H catalogue today. Something I noticed about the Hospital set - two doctors, one surgeon (who really needs a theatre suit, BTW) and a patient. No Nurse!

How can you have a hospital without a Nurse?

Its said in relation to SW (and maybe more generally but I only follow SW) that female characters are majorly under-represented in LEGO.

So, upgrade set needed - Hospital ward, with a LEGO Nurse!

The last justification from TLC is that girls are less interested in their products and that boys don't care about girls at a young age :-|