Review: 6268 Renegade Runner

15 replies to this topic  – Started by I Scream Clone , May 05 2009 10:25 AM

#1 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone
  • Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Posted ImageReview: 6268 Renegade RunnerPosted Image

This is a prize from the good people @ Eurobricks for winning first place in the Captains Cabin contest. I thought I would return the favor by reviewing it for you all.

Set Number: 6268
Set Name: Renegade Runner
Theme: Pirates
Year of release: 93
Pieces: 171
Minifigures: 4
Bricklink, Brickset, Peeron

Box

No box with this bad boy, though I have provided a picture from the Bricklink database.

Posted Image

Instructions

These instructions come pre-loved, but work nonetheless. No piece call outs or index to be found, just good ol fashioned instructions.
Posted Image

Random page of instructions
Posted Image

Minifigures

Come meet the brothers Ballast, Boson and Captain of the Renegade Runner, quite the skullduggerest crew going around. I understand the Captains torso is a rare one.
Posted Image

A slightly different angle front on
Posted Image

A rear shot showing no printing on the back of the torsos.
Posted Image

Interesting parts/Booty

Come check out the spoils of war! A compass, map, firing cannon, treasure and a red blue figurehead (Sly Owl mentioned this was an eBay sellers fault, all good though)
Posted Image

Renegade Runner

Just a quick shot to show the ship complete before the riff-raff climb aboard.
Posted Image

Completed

Here is the Renegade runner fully crewed and ready for some pillaging of small unguarded villages. Note the blue rudder and the portholes on the bow of the ship. Not sure how you would get a cannon to fire out of the front portholes though.
"Trim those sails ya scurvy aardvarks!"
Posted Image

An aerial shot showing the cannon, which comes with six cannon balls and two packers/plungers. The cannon rotates the full way around too.
Posted Image

"How should I know where we are going, you're the one with the map and compass!"
Posted Image

This Death Star Renegade Runner is fully armed and operational!
Posted Image

Treasure ahoy! Thar be a chest below deck with all me booty.
Posted Image

"Keep looking men, me floaties have to be overboard."
Posted Image

"Ive been thinking of ditching the skull and crossbones look for something in pink, what say ye?"
Posted Image

Conclusion

Design: 8/10, Some of the colour choices are a bit questionable, but the design is fairly sound. I cant really comment on the price/piece ratio, but some of the pieces are quite nice.

Build: 8/10, The build was fairly easy, just the sails which I lost interest on (no studs see)

Minifigures: 9/10, 4 very nice pirate figures in a set this small is a definite plus for me!, though the two identical figures save colour swap did lessen the appeal somewhat.

Playability: 9/10, With the compass, movable guns, treasure chest, sails, firing cannon, ladder and map this set has loads of playability, sure to keep me amused for a while. Shame I don't have a cat to torment with the cannon.

Overall: 8.5/10, Well that's a pretty good score for this fine vessel. I like its design just not the colour scheme. The figures and great parts selection makes it a nice set to own. I am sure those who purchased this set back when released weren't dissapointed, I know I'm not! Hope you liked my review

Cheers

Capt ISC signing off. (Hey everyone else seems to be a Capt around this forum :pir-tongue: )

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#2 Svelte

Svelte
  • We miss you Schmelt!

Member: 1768

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Great review! Until this day I never even knew there *was* a compass piece  :pir_laugh2:

This looks like a cute if not amazing little ship. I don't own any of the old ships, but I do think I prefer the new stern/ bow pieces. These ones do look megablockish. (Pirates fans will probably send a monkey to choke me in my sleep now, but it had to be said.)

I would also have liked to have seen some review pix of Brickbeard's Bounty mowing this little dinghy down  :pir-skull:

View PostI Scream Clone, on May 5 2009, 08:25 PM, said:

Build: 8/10, The build was fairly easy, just the sails which I lost interest on (no studs see)

Your poor wife; I hope she came with a set of instructions :wink:

#3 UsernameMDM

UsernameMDM
  • Back to the drawing board!

Member: 4006

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

My favorite ship!

#4 soc399

soc399

Member: 5223

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

I also loved this ship when I was a kid.  I was lucky enough to have this in addition to the Skull's Eye Schooner and the Imperial Flagship.  The poor imperials never had a chance!

#5 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

View Postsvelte_corps, on May 5 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

(Pirates fans will probably send a monkey to choke me in my sleep now, but it had to be said.)

I was thinking a crocodile! :pir_laugh2:

I've always liked the look of this ship but it is one of two ships I do not own...yet :pir_bawling:
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#6 Erdbeereis

Erdbeereis
  • Not short in real life

Member: 2630

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Great review ISC!

It was very insightful. We should get this up on the frontpage relatively soon. :pir-classic:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#7 Erdbeereis

Erdbeereis
  • Not short in real life

Member: 2630

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:50 AM

You've been Frontpaged!

Again, nice review. :pir-classic:

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#8 WhiteFang

WhiteFang
  • Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

Nice review. Now, that's a great way of showing your appericiation to the contest! I never had any of such ships before. Although the vessel looks kind of small, but the entire built appear to be pretty solid. There are some very good C.P elements too. Hope the new Pirates theme could release something similar of a medium sized pirate or imperial ship.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#9 Tom Bricks

Tom Bricks
  • Video Games Reviewer

Member: 5938

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:42 AM

This was my first pirate ship ever and I still like it. This is an average set but compared to others of it's time it was pretty good. I never knew the compass was a rare piece (I have 2 or 3) but this adds to the ships value. Thanks for reviewing the largest pirate set I had as a kid.
You can call me Tom
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Flickr
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

#10 ChrisVA

ChrisVA

Member: 5967

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

Before this review I never realized how small this ship was. Its very well excuted for under 200 pieces. Very informative review.

#11 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Thanks guys! They certainly did pack a lot into small set quite well, if not for the color scheme

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

#12 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Nice review! And I'm happy your happy with your prize!

#13 Guss

Guss
  • One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

Nice review mate! I took some pictures of my prize too^^ maybe I'll make a review! :P
Posted Image

#14 Zarkan

Zarkan
  • Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the review, I Scream Clone.  :thumbup:

Honestly, I'm really not a fan of any of the small pirate ships TLC has made. I think it's mainly that I find the concept of a mini-pirate ship a little silly, although it may be fun for kids. I think if TLC makes a kit like this one in the future, they should bump the price up a bit and give the ship a proper cabin and a second cannon. I'd much rather pay a higher price for a ship like that than pay a lower price for a half-ship.  :pir-wink:

View Postsvelte_corps, on May 5 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

This looks like a cute if not amazing little ship. I don't own any of the old ships, but I do think I prefer the new stern/ bow pieces. These ones do look megablockish. (Pirates fans will probably send a monkey to choke me in my sleep now, but it had to be said.)

I totally agree. I think for what it's worth, the new Pirate hulls are far more useful than the old ones, as they are made of smaller pieces and don't have multiple colors in the same mold. Hopefully we'll be getting more ships in the future with the new pieces in different colors.  :pir-classic:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 lego fox

lego fox

Member: 3888

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

I'm a litel confused about somthing the Renegade Runner was my ferst and only vessel from the pirates line. I've still got the box and the original instructions and I would swear that the small dragen ordiment on the head was red other then that it is butifel ship, and in much better condishen.

#16 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

View Postlego fox, on May 30 2009, 03:16 PM, said:

I'm a litel confused about somthing the Renegade Runner was my ferst and only vessel from the pirates line. I've still got the box and the original instructions and I would swear that the small dragen ordiment on the head was red other then that it is butifel ship, and in much better condishen.

Slyowl mentioned that the person who sold it to him on eBay included the wrong dragon piece. So yes you are right my observant friend, and the first to notice in this review.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links