Yellowing of stormies

16 replies to this topic

#1 Danthebrick

Danthebrick

Member: 4584

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Posted Image

View PostKimT, on May 3 2009, 10:37 AM, said:

That's a great set-up and display you've got there.
I once kept some of the troopers on display, but after discovering that 3 of my scout troopers had gone 'yellow' and a few other minifigs had 'sun-burns', I decided to pack'em all away from the sun.

Thanks Kim. Was going to post a topic at some point on the subject of yellowing. A few on my older scout troopers are suffering from this - is it just put down to sun exposure/time? Has no one found a cure yet or are the effects perminent?

Edited by KimT, 14 June 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#2 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

• Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

Well I know this is off topic but I might have found a cure for stopping Yellowing :classic:
its Methalated spirits, now it might not work but ive tried it on other things that are damaged and it's worked so give it a go :sweet:

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#3 KimT

KimT

• Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith

Member: 101

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

A good question was raised in the "Show your army and display topic", so I've moved it here for all to discuss.
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words

Posted Image

#4 Legoman

Legoman

• Cardman

Member: 428

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

Intresting topic...

I've encounted this, and its really annoying. I'll try CF's Meths idea on a yellowed peice, if it works minifigs may be next...

I'm yet to find a cure. But gees, it's annoying... along with brittle/ripping stickers  :angry:

Proudly a disciple of Christ
Member of LUG/2

Feel free to check out My Flickr

#5 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

• Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Ive also found that the Meth doesn't even touch the decal-printed pieces or stickers it just takes off the bad bits :tongue:
see how it goes...

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#6 cavegod

cavegod

• UCS TIE Fleet Lieutenant

Member: 5322

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

Well ive recently bought a large amount of white pieces for a ucs Shuttle Tydirium and a lot of the white is yellowing or completely brown, what i do is soak them in neat bleach for a few days and if they are still yellow leave them in direct sunlight until white again.

#7 pedro

pedro

• Crazy Junction Master

Member: 1364

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

View PostDanthebrick, on May 3 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

Thanks Kim. Was going to post a topic at some point on the subject of yellowing. A few on my older scout troopers are suffering from this - is it just put down to sun exposure/time? Has no one found a cure yet or are the effects perminent?
I've had a large army of stormtroopers for a long time now and they've gradually gotten a little yellower as time has gone by. My Imperial shuttle too has felt the onset of yellowing. I've kept them on display out of direct sunlight for the best part of 10 years now, so I put it down to age. It's good this has been raised as a topic - I might try out some restoritive measures and see if it helps.

View Postlegoman, on May 4 2009, 09:42 AM, said:

Intresting topic...

I've encounted this, and its really annoying. I'll try CF's Meths idea on a yellowed peice, if it works minifigs may be next...

I'm yet to find a cure. But gees, it's annoying... along with brittle/ripping stickers  :angry:
I hear that! The stickers on my (original) RGS spontaneously started flaking off leaving behind that sticky residue... was so annoyning! Fortunately my wife found this solution that removes 'sticky-stuff'; after stripping all the stickers and cleaning it with the solution my RGS looked sweet again :wink:

#8 Legoman

Legoman

• Cardman

Member: 428

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

View Postpedro, on May 4 2009, 03:04 PM, said:

I hear that! The stickers on my (original) RGS spontaneously started flaking off leaving behind that sticky residue... was so annoyning! Fortunately my wife found this solution that removes 'sticky-stuff'; after stripping all the stickers and cleaning it with the solution my RGS looked sweet again :wink:

...But then you have no stickers, and the RGS stickers (original) cost a killing!

Proudly a disciple of Christ
Member of LUG/2

Feel free to check out My Flickr

#9 darkrebellion

darkrebellion

Member: 2482

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

The same thing happened to the stickers of my RGS and sadly a new complete sticker shit of this set goes for more then $40  :cry_sad: , which is pretty expensive considering they are just STICKERS  :hmpf: .

#10 sinoxp

sinoxp

Member: 5905

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:28 AM

I've never used meth, but a little bleach worked for my white pieces. You just have to be careful not to let them sit in too long; the pieces start deteriorating if left overnight. I too have kept some white pieces away from possible sunlight, but humidity eventually saps the dust on, leaving a yellow residue over time (which can be washed off with warm water and light soap). As for my old stormies, I just keep them stored away in a cabinet, away from any light, moisture, and they are still white as new. When my display is done, I will keep it covered by a UV proof plexi glass case, illuminated by artificial lighting.

#11 ILikePi

ILikePi

Member: 5159

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:56 AM

View Postdarkrebellion, on May 4 2009, 02:48 PM, said:

The same thing happened to the stickers of my RGS and sadly a new complete sticker shit of this set goes for more then $40  :cry_sad: , which is pretty expensive considering they are just STICKERS  :hmpf: .
Did you mean to say that?  :tongue:

Find out more about me on my WIP About Me page!
Latest LDD model: 7263 Temple Escape - Flickr - Brickshelf - My Collection (Brickset)

#12 CloneCommanderDelta7

CloneCommanderDelta7

Member: 4742

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:21 AM

I don't have stormies, but I have Clone Troopers.  :tongue:   Prevention is the best cure, so protect them from extended hours in the sun when not being used.  Fixing them after the damage has been done, well that's beyond me.
"Fly for the Empire"
"Build it Right, Make it Bite"

Still Mutilating Clones or making them better.  I dunno maybe you should ask them yourself?

Links - YouTube - Brickshelf - Flickr
"If you have a PS3 and an account, then PM me & maybe I'll add you to my friends list!!!"

A very mean-looking CRF250R '10.  

#13 pedro

pedro

• Crazy Junction Master

Member: 1364

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

View Postlegoman, on May 4 2009, 09:26 PM, said:

...But then you have no stickers, and the RGS stickers (original) cost a killing!
To be honest the stickers don't add a great deal to the model - especially not in the way the new ones do. As it is, it was a while ago this happened and I managed to buy a replacement sheet which didn't cost that much at all. I haven't applied them, just keep them safe :wink:

#14 LEGOscum

LEGOscum

• X-Rated snide note

Member: 1151

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

Here is the only answer you will ever need:

Recipe - http://retr0bright.w...Retr0Bright Gel
Application - http://retr0bright.w...ing Retr0Bright

The gel is for use with ABS plastics only. There are a few LEGO bricks that are made from other materials such as polycarbonates and rubber but 98% of all bricks are made with ABS. Just don't use it on clear bricks (which don't yellow anyway).

Incidentally this works on any colour brick, not just white.
Jeremy - LEGO assembly robot

Expert Consultant: LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
Writer: Star Wars Insider Magazine
Author: Official Guide To Star Wars Memorabilia
Email: legoscum@gmail.com

#15 Danthebrick

Danthebrick

Member: 4584

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

View PostLEGOscum, on May 8 2009, 04:03 PM, said:

Here is the only answer you will ever need:

Recipe - http://retr0bright.w...Retr0Bright Gel
Application - http://retr0bright.w...ing Retr0Bright

The gel is for use with ABS plastics only. There are a few LEGO bricks that are made from other materials such as polycarbonates and rubber but 98% of all bricks are made with ABS. Just don't use it on clear bricks (which don't yellow anyway).

Incidentally this works on any colour brick, not just white.

Sounds promising Legoscum but have you actually tried it personally? I don't won't blow my house up or get arrested as terror suspect! - those recipes look lethal!

#16 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

• Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

Call them Yellowies? :grin:

I have had some good results with car polish on white bricks, but this will ruin the printing i think.
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#17 Jammiedodger

Jammiedodger

• Halfway through Englishman

Member: 3865

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

I keep my stormies under my bed in a box, so they have not gone yellow yet. :thumbup:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users