21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello to all Eurobricks members and avid Pirates' Fans,

To continue my Pirates’ journey of reviewing, I am pleased to present the next Pirate set in line below. Feeling excited with the whole range of Pirates’ products does make me wonder what more exciting sets are coming next year. Well, that will be something for us fans to speculate about. For now, let me bring you through these adventurous daring Pirates in the Legend of Kraken Attackin’.

Name: Kraken Attackin'

Theme: LEGO System / Pirates

Year: 2009

Pieces: 78

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD$9.99, GBP 7.85, SGD$21.90

Resources: Brickset, Peeron

An image of a 6240, Kraken Attackin'

1.jpg

A rear image of a 6240 Kraken Attackin'

2.jpg

Pure excitement in these relentless strong tidal waves in the blue ocean where lurking sea monster known as the Krakens which are infamous for devouring savaging sea rats that is seeking for dry lands. With their crusty strong wooden raft and that whole bunch of loot onboard, those dual dynamic Pirates are out for a real taste of sea combat with the other kind.

There you go, an adventurous sea battle between treacherous Kraken and the swishing wielding pirates fighting on that small raft. It comes with a good looking wooden raft which is useful to add along with your surviving wreckage scenario and a great new sea monster addition for both Imperial Royal Navy and Pirates to fight upon

Instruction Manual plus a mini comic

3.jpg

This is a section of the 6240 instruction manual which shows the end of its built, while on the right side of the manual, it shows a mini-comic strip for the builders’ reading enjoyment with some humor in it.

Useful parts and accessories

4.jpg

Now, what kind of useful parts and accessories does our Kraken Attackin’ set offers? I supposed the main highlight of this set is this dangerous looking dark maroon kraken making a special appearance for the first time with this new color tone. Most people could easily consider it as an octopus.

There is a new parrot mascot with a new shade of feathers. The rest of the accessories appear to be rather standard, with a brown musket, a spyglass, two cutlasses and two gems of different colors. The wooden bucket and container crate are great parts to use it as a stockpile to store the loots and supplies.

The Stowaways

5.jpg

6.jpg

Now, let’s take a look at the stowaways’ profiles. Both of them are wearing the regular Pirates’ outfits that are fairly common in the new Pirates’ sets. I will assume that the meanly nasty looking pirate wearing a tricorner with that smug looking gold tooth is the Captain of this Raft. There is nothing unique with both minifigs. These minifigs come with printed designs at the back.

The new friendly parrot pirate mascot seemed to have a new shade of feathers with blended green. When you compared this with the traditional looking red parrot that appear in the Classic Pirates’ sets, I find the past version is much better than the current one. I am not sure if it’s a choice of personal preference, but I find the past version to be much realistic looking. Perhaps, this new parrot could be a new breed in another part of the tropical island region. Who knows? :tongue:

Building up the Raft

7.jpg

8.jpg

The built of the raft is actually very sturdy and firm in its design. The use of tan pieces is used to situate at the center base of the raft while brown pieces are used to double up as wooden logs for the raft to support. It appeared to be very realistic looking at both angles. Compared to the older rafts version where they make use of 1x1 yellow round bricks back in those Classic Pirates’ days, these raft is much better constructed and provide a much larger base to add on. Let’s take a look below at its complete built.

Different views of the complete Raft

9.jpg

10.jpg

There is a viewing stand placed at the center of the raft. Seriously, I don’t know how much weight could one raft support, but it’s definitely needed to be much firm and stronger in order to support the additional weight. Correct me if I am wrong, but I find the finishing design to be a little weird. A nice touch about this design is the insertion of the ladder for the crew to climb up to the viewing bucket to keep a lookout for threats. If I were in the blue ocean with rough tides, the probability of me flipping out of the bucket is kind of high, don’t you think so? Nevertheless, I am fond of its color scheme which looks great for a raft.

Possibility of adding something?

11.jpg

I find this particular spot will be good to insert a pirate flag in it to indicate others of its presence. On the other hand, there is a possibility of the Pirates excluding the flags away since they might not want others to take note of them as Pirates especially when there is a Imperial Royal Naval Ship nearby.

Complete set

12.jpg

A real taste of sea combat with the "Other kind"

14.jpg

13.jpg

This is one of the good to have Pirates’ set to add into your collection. This set offers a good source of brown and tan parts that allow you to construct a raft or sort it out in your parts bin. Another good reason for collectors to purchase this set, could be the one of a kind dark maroon kraken which is exclusive in this set. Despite of the commonly used pirates’ torsos, I am still pleased with the built of this raft even though there is a fairly tall viewing post in the middle of the raft. This could be a good set for us to get, to create some shipwrecking scenes.

Summary review

Playability: 8.5/10 (Kraken and Pirates' combat, not bad for a sea battle scene.)

Design: 9/10 (The raft design is very good with solid base foundation.)

Price: 8.5/10 (A little bit costly on this part of the region due to its amount of parts.)

Overall: 8.7/10 (A set which you defintely must have to complete your Pirates collection.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :pir-wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

That was my first NeoPirates set.

I like the new color for Kraken and I agree, raft is beautifull.

But I still don't like new Parrot...

I voted "above average".

It's good they included a parrot! And I added a couple of trans neon green 1x1 round plates to the Kraken, like they had in those old Alpha Team days.

I like this set; the kraken is a fantastic colour and the raft is generally well designed. The only thing I don't like is the use of the technic axle as a mast to hold up the lookout - it just seems too minimal.

However overall, for the Australian price, it is a great deal. I love all those round 2x2 bricks and bits of tan :wub:

Thanks for the latest chapter in your Pirates journey, WhiteFang! I look forward to seeing the culmination of this long quest! :pir_laugh2:

Glad you guys enjoy reading this review of mine. I really love the built of this raft, but the rest of it is kind of common, similar to the rest of the sets. Nevertheless, one of the must get set to complete your Pirate collection. :pir-blush:

Thanks for the latest chapter in your Pirates journey, WhiteFang! I look forward to seeing the culmination of this long quest! :pir_laugh2:

I am almost halfway mark though. Hopefully, I could complete the very first LEGO theme's reviews. :pir-tongue:

It's like working towards my long term goal. Hopefully, I am able to finish it up.

Nice little set. It has a real classic feel to it. I like getting an oldfashion black tricorne. The sturdy design will be appreciated by parents by this for their children.

I like the minifigs, I like the raft, I just really dont like the Kracken.

What the heck am I going to do with this "thing"? You cant hang it up like a shark (as if caught), you cant really use it above water because it looks silly. It just seems wasteful to me.

On the other hand, a set like cannon battle allows me to use each and every part. I feel like with Kraken Attackin, Im wasting a little of the set.

i bought it yesterday,togheter with cannon battle.it costs more but it think that there is less in it.

still,ill figure a way for those brown round pieces.