Sign in to follow this  
The Penguin

The Penguin's Arkham Asylum.

You approach old rusty gates of Arkham Asylum. You see a large lock on them. Suddenly you hear some footsteps.....

1.jpg

"Welcome to Arkham Asylum. We do not usually get many visitors. I shall show you the way...." (The man with brigh blue eyes speaks quietly and slowly, but you can't help but feel scared of his creepy voice for some reason.)

2.jpg

"Arkham was built in the 19-th century in a unique Gotham architectural style....."

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

"This way, please....."

7.jpg

"This is a hall for our visitors....."

8.jpg

"Your name, please? We register all our guests."

9.jpg

"Now, let us start with the left wing. This is our reading chamber."

10.jpg

"We have the finest collection of books on our specific topic....."

11.jpg

"Now to the first floor. Here we keep our most amusing patients. Though, aren't they all lovely?"

12.jpg

"I'm sure, you are quite familiar with all of them...."

13.jpg

"Two-Face, Mad Hatter...."

14.jpg

"Scarecrow....."

15.jpg

"The Riddler. Oh, we have them all here. Isn't that marvellous?"

16.jpg

"Now, our little pest, the Joker. Singing his rude songs again.... Poor thing. I guess, he needs therapy again. Intensive therapy."

17.jpg

"Poor Harley Quinn. She keeps lingering to the wall to hear her lover....."

18.jpg

"We've done here. Shall we go to the right wing?"

19.jpg

20.jpg

"This is our therapy room. We don't usually let strangers in, but I guess, we can do it for you....."

21.jpg

"Here we treat them, and keep experimenting to find a cure for our poor pets..... oh, I mean patients, of course."

22.jpg

23.jpg

"Shall we visit other patients then? Simon the Pieman here..... He still thinks he's a great villain."

24.jpg

"Our strongest patients here: Bane and...."

25.jpg

"..... Killer Croc."

26.jpg

"Maxie Zeus."

27.jpg

"And our lovely flower, Poison Ivy."

28.jpg

"The Creeper. We couldn't make him put on proper cloth, so we just had to leave him that way....."

30.jpg

"What do you say? No, silly. That's not an empty chamber....."

31.jpg

"It's your chamber!"

32.jpg

"Don't be so scared, dear. You just need some therapy, I guess....."

33.jpg

The end.

Some general pics now:

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

Thank you for your attention. :classic::thumbup:

Any comments, ladies and gentlemen? ) :sweet:

P.S.

Thanks to kobe, I've just noticed myself that on some pics you can see a reflection of my camera. I'm terribly sorry about that and shall update them as soos as possible. ) :sweet:

Edited by The Penguin

Humongous building.

Amazing "population" of the Asylum.

There are minor things to be improved (lighting of the scenes, camera reflection) and some parts to be cleaned, but i'd like to live in the place by this Asylum!

Superb!

A great MOC with accompanying story to go with it :thumbup: . The way you displayed the MOC I enjoyed and i like some of the building styles you used like with the statues out on the front. I'm guessing you left 'The Penguin' out for a reason :laugh: .

This thing is huge and I really like it. Your creative story telling and selection of pictures made me feel that it was a lot bigger then it was. default_thumbup.gif Were Bane's arms molded by yourself? Or just painted? I like the statues of the guys holding the balls on their back; true to the old movies. Did you leave the dust and spiderwebs on your Legos to create an old/scary effect? Although I really like the overall setup of the rooms and floors, I felt that there is still more untapped potential to your creation. Perhaps adding some more details like vegetation on the outside, books and cart in the library, floor elements, stairs, and unique items in cells (like a plant in Ivy's room) will make this grand piece stand out more.

Edited by sinoxp

I personaly don't like using big wall pieces, like the castle ones in your creation. But it turned out really nice. I love all the figs in the prison, only ones I miss is Harley, or is the girl with the glasses Harley? And clayface.

The best thing of the whole MOC is the way you prestented it to us!

Great creation!

A wonderful tour, hosted by you. The entire flow of the visit is defintely an eye opener, with the whole load of chambers housing those ville villians. I can't imagine how "sane" these asylum workers could be, and there is no chance I will stay in there. It look way too creepy and the earlier pictures have certainly create its effect very well, and I love that feeling very much. Great job, for capturing it so well. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing another one of your nice mocs.

Thank you Penguin, for sharing the best creation I have seen, in quite some time. :sweet: This will surely keep the Batman theme alive and well, for years to come! :cry_happy:

Lovely Moc. :thumbup:

I love the imposing scale of the interior and the overall design.

I'm assuming the use of the castle wall panels is down to not having enough bricks, windows and arches so I won't criticise you for that (I have the same problem I have when it comes to buildings). And the same I am sure goes for the courtyard which I can imagine will make the whole thing look wonderful with some landscaping.

I love the statues that recall the designs of the Burton films and was just wondering what the ball pieces are are where they are from.

The interior I love even more. The layout of the cells somehow really creates a sense of insanity. It looks like the kind of place that would drive you insane.

It also looks very suitable as a play space (I prefer MC's built to accomodate play and not just for display).

I'm also glad you avoiding personallising the cells the way I have seen some MOCs do, and to some extent the official set.

At present I'm developing ideas for my own Arkham on LDD and haven't got around to deciding what to do for the interior.

I will find it hard to do it now without being influenced by your design.

One question. Do you plan to keep this MOC and work on adding details as pieces become available - such as landscaping, tiling etc, because I think it would be wonderful to see it evolve?

Oh, and the presentation was wonderful... thanks!

Edited by Righteous Squid

thats very good :thumbup: it is big and looks like an asylum, but not the one from the movie. it kinda reminds me of haryy potter, apart form the slytherin shield. BTW, where are those balls held by the statues from?

Ladies and gentlemen! ) IT GIVES ME GREAT PLEASURE TO START MY 600-TH POST WITH WORDS OF GRATITUDE TO YOU. I'm proud and honored to hear all your kind words and useful suggestions. I hope that my future MOCs wil earn the same high ranking, as this one. ) :cry_happy:

Humongous building.

Amazing "population" of the Asylum.

There are minor things to be improved (lighting of the scenes, camera reflection) and some parts to be cleaned, but i'd like to live in the place by this Asylum!

Superb!

Thank you very much. ) Yes, I'll update the pictures as soon as possible. In fact the popylation of the asylum is comprised of (practically) all of my batman villains. You can see them in a special topic here. ) :classic:

A great MOC with accompanying story to go with it :thumbup: . The way you displayed the MOC I enjoyed and i like some of the building styles you used like with the statues out on the front. I'm guessing you left 'The Penguin' out for a reason :laugh: .

Thanks a lot, Skipper 24! )Much obliged. ) :sweet:

Well, I left the Penguin, Catwoman, and some others out intentionally since they are perfectly sane. As ordinary criminals they are held in Blackgate prison.

Yes, the statures came right from Tim Burton's movies, and I guess they don't look bad here, do they? ) Thanks again! ) :classic:

This thing is huge and I really like it. Your creative story telling and selection of pictures made me feel that it was a lot bigger then it was. default_thumbup.gif Were Bane's arms molded by yourself? Or just painted? I like the statues of the guys holding the balls on their back; true to the old movies. Did you leave the dust and spiderwebs on your Legos to create an old/scary effect? Although I really like the overall setup of the rooms and floors, I felt that there is still more untapped potential to your creation. Perhaps adding some more details like vegetation on the outside, books and cart in the library, floor elements, stairs, and unique items in cells (like a plant in Ivy's room) will make this grand piece stand out more.

Thank you very much, sinoxp! )

No, Bane arms are taken from rock monsters, and painted with some work for making them smaller. ) As for the dust, well that MOC has been around in my room for, say, 3 months, and it became really dusty. I cleaned it a bit, but decided to leave some to give the exact feeling, you've had. ) :classic:

As for additions, thanks they are extremely useful. ) Well, In fact I had several versions of this MOC. The first one had ladders, but they blocked the view, so I got rid of them for the sake of playability and clear view. Plus, it's meant to show only the front of the huge asylum, so ladders can be in the back, can't they? :classic: I intentionally made Arkham look stand-alone and I only added an old tree near it to give it a desertyed and abandoned look. I could have added trees, ivys, something else, but i just felt it was wrong. Perhaps it's my own phobia, but huge open spaces give me the creeps. ) :classic: I avoided using floor elements, since I don't really like the way the playable MOCs look when they are all sleek. ) :classic: It reduces playability and, in my opinion, is good for vignettes, but not living MOCs. )Why would anyone risk to give Ivy a plant in a cell? ) :tongue:

Thank you, again. ) Much obliged. ) :cry_happy:

I personaly don't like using big wall pieces, like the castle ones in your creation. But it turned out really nice. I love all the figs in the prison, only ones I miss is Harley, or is the girl with the glasses Harley? And clayface.

The best thing of the whole MOC is the way you prestented it to us!

Great creation!

Thank you! ) :classic::thumbup:

I wonder, why does everyone have a grudge against castle walls? Yes, they are not perfect, but they do not look that awful to me. ) :classic:

Indeed, the girl with glasses is Harley 9that's how she normally looks.)

And Clayface is also present on the first ffloor in the left wing. ) :sweet:

A wonderful tour, hosted by you. The entire flow of the visit is defintely an eye opener, with the whole load of chambers housing those ville villians. I can't imagine how "sane" these asylum workers could be, and there is no chance I will stay in there. It look way too creepy and the earlier pictures have certainly create its effect very well, and I love that feeling very much. Great job, for capturing it so well. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing another one of your nice mocs.

Thanks a lot, WhiteFang! ) :classic::thumbup:

I'm pleased and honored. :cry_happy: Well the earlier darker pictures, indeed, should have given a creepy feeling and later pictures were made in an unusual for me bright manner in order to show you the details clearer. ) Now, I guess, we may understand why there are so many outbreaks in Arkham, and why any treatment is obviously in vain! ) :classic:

Thanks again! ) :classic::thumbup:

Thank you Penguin, for sharing the best creation I have seen, in quite some time. :sweet: This will surely keep the Batman theme alive and well, for years to come! :cry_happy:

Thank you, Skinny Boy! ) :classic::thumbup:

In fact it's my ultimate goal, to keep the theme alive untill TLC comes to it's sences and resume the line! ) :laugh:

Woah, this thing is huge. And amazing, too!

Thank you very much! ) :classic:

Lovely Moc. :thumbup:

I love the imposing scale of the interior and the overall design.

I'm assuming the use of the castle wall panels is down to not having enough bricks, windows and arches so I won't criticise you for that (I have the same problem I have when it comes to buildings). And the same I am sure goes for the courtyard which I can imagine will make the whole thing look wonderful with some landscaping.

I love the statues that recall the designs of the Burton films and was just wondering what the ball pieces are are where they are from.

The interior I love even more. The layout of the cells somehow really creates a sense of insanity. It looks like the kind of place that would drive you insane.

It also looks very suitable as a play space (I prefer MC's built to accomodate play and not just for display).

I'm also glad you avoiding personallising the cells the way I have seen some MOCs do, and to some extent the official set.

At present I'm developing ideas for my own Arkham on LDD and haven't got around to deciding what to do for the interior.

I will find it hard to do it now without being influenced by your design.

One question. Do you plan to keep this MOC and work on adding details as pieces become available - such as landscaping, tiling etc, because I think it would be wonderful to see it evolve?

Oh, and the presentation was wonderful... thanks!

Thank you very much. :classic::thumbup:

I'll make points in order to make it easier to read:

1)No, the use of walls is not due to the lack of grey bricks, I still have plenty, but because, as stated above, I don't really have anything against them. Plus all those multiple windows should have give a kind of a chaotic look to the respectable-at-first-glance building. ) :classic:

2) Earlier in the post I've mentioned about vegetation. But I may add some and make a pic, if you wish. ) :classic:

3) The ball piece can be found in Castle theme and crappy Bionicle one..... ) :laugh:

4) Thanks a lot for you kind words about the cells. Indeed, I gave them a one in a row look, without any personalisation. For Arkham personnel, they are just pets.... ) :classic:

5) I'm looking forward to seeing your view of Arkham. ) :classic: Please do give us a pleasure of seeing it as soon as possible. ) :classic::thumbup:

6) Well, it sure will stay. I still have big plans for it. (*cough, comic, cough*) :laugh: And i guess, it may have something extra, but not much. ) :classic:

7) Thank you again, I always value your opinion. We, Bat-fans, should stay united! ) :classic:

thats very good :thumbup: it is big and looks like an asylum, but not the one from the movie. it kinda reminds me of haryy potter, apart form the slytherin shield. BTW, where are those balls held by the statues from?

Thanks a lot, prateek! )

Which movie? I have seen at least three-four interpretations: from prison-like Begins, to Asylum-like BTAS. )

Harry Potter? How lovely! ) :laugh: How come? )

They are from Castle and Bionicle sets. ) I fell into herecy and bought a Bionicle set to get them! )))))) :laugh:

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen! ) :cry_happy: I'll try not to disappoint you with my future MOCs and projects. ) :sweet:

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

I am not at all fan of Batman (anymore) but your Arkham Asylum MOC made me to remember all the nice time I had in my childhood with Batman and the rest. Your MOC is awesome :thumbup: , I would say it is very strong and would fit perfectly any town. Maybe even we can say that any town needs one, specially with the systems lords like the members we have here at EB. And most important your MOC made me now interested in Batman line to find some additions to my own town and islet population and vehicles.

Thank you for inspiring ASYLUM!

I'll make points in order to make it easier to read:

1)No, the use of walls is not due to the lack of grey bricks, I still have plenty, but because, as stated above, I don't really have anything against them. Plus all those multiple windows should have give a kind of a chaotic look to the respectable-at-first-glance building. ) :classic:

2) Earlier in the post I've mentioned about vegetation. But I may add some and make a pic, if you wish. ) :classic:

3) The ball piece can be found in Castle theme and crappy Bionicle one..... ) :laugh:

4) Thanks a lot for you kind words about the cells. Indeed, I gave them a one in a row look, without any personalisation. For Arkham personnel, they are just pets.... ) :classic:

5) I'm looking forward to seeing your view of Arkham. ) :classic: Please do give us a pleasure of seeing it as soon as possible. ) :classic::thumbup:

6) Well, it sure will stay. I still have big plans for it. (*cough, comic, cough*) :laugh: And i guess, it may have something extra, but not much. ) :classic:

7) Thank you again, I always value your opinion. We, Bat-fans, should stay united! ) :classic:

1) Fair enough. I don't really have nothing against them either but I find that they can make an interior a bit scrappy. Its also just that I personally prefer using bricks. I've used the castle panels on my Gotham Bank - but thats a temporary measure rather than choice.

2) No problem I can imagine vegetation for myself. :wink: I'm not saying I would crowd it out with vegetation the way some people like to, I do actually like the open space and too much vegetation does hinder play. I myself would experiment with incidental details - the odd rock, broken statue, bush etc, even 1x1 plates or tiles of different shades might just give it a little extra. i do like the plants with the railings at the walls.

3) Ah, i think I have orange balls - the ones from the Mobile Devastator - I shall have to try and find a use for them and maybe locate some gray ones.

6) Look forward to the comic. :thumbup:

awesome creation Penguin. :thumbup:

i like the building very much, nice story too.

the exterior is great with nice photography.

the interior is marvelous too. i like the floor plan, really well organized.

how do you managed to made the floor plan like that?

do you make the sketchs first?

this building really used many bricks i think.

great work. :thumbup:

WoW! It's amazing, the figs, the arkitexture (sp?) everything. Is the offer for a debriefing of some of Arkhams lesser known inmates still on offer? :grin:

Wow! When you said you were creating a new Batman moc I never though it would be this big!

Fantastic job with Arkham Penguin, you've done a great job establishing as eerie mood but also keeping it looking like a facility. The front entrance is the one thing I don't like, it's too plain for me, I think more foliage would be better, and the reception room is a tad plain as well. I think more chairs would add to the look. The actual front of the building is amazing though, I love the gargoyles and skulls, though I noticed a few bricks are not locked in together tightly. The actual patient's room is terrific though, I love the series of floors. The characters rooms are great, though I think Freeze should have a special cell. The rails around the platforms look very neat too ,and the above floor with equipment is a great little touch. I really love the therapy room, it's great, especially with the lights, blackboard and potions. And yes! Another Simon the Pieman cameo!

Overall the whole thing looks spectacular, especially the interior, which is fantastically built. You've really outdone yourself this time friend!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Nice! It gives a very creepy atmosphere, and I agree with you, long, empty hallways are... well, just chilling.

Though the music I was listening to kinda ruined the creepy atmosphere

WOW how did you made this :oh:*oh2* . This is so amazing, OMG! Your best moc ever. Love it so much. Also like the therapy room, wait this whole this is amazing!

Thanks for this great moc, can't wait to see a new one.

I don't suposed to be in arkham, i must go to blackgate :tongue: . Make that also? :tongue:

The Riddler!

Fantastic stuff. I didn't know the Creeper goes to Arkham, but I guess he might.

And great narration too!

Very, very nice MOC. I was admiring this last night but was too tired to comment on it (it was about 2am)!

The first thing I noticed was the very inventive technique of the men holding balls - if you look in Lego Batman: The Videogame on the flying levels you see a few of them too, and including it in your MOC really captures the spirit! :thumbup:

The exterior looks magnificent and the interior is brilliant too, I love the cells! Great narration/tour also. :devil:

Only one irk I have about this - it looks a little too tall, I've been in castles that (if to scale) would not be so high as this. I know it's meant to be a big building in the comics, but it just looks a little odd, not too bad though.

An all-round well done though, this is a masterpiece! :sweet:

:skull:

Edited by Shoc

I am not at all fan of Batman (anymore) but your Arkham Asylum MOC made me to remember all the nice time I had in my childhood with Batman and the rest. Your MOC is awesome :thumbup: , I would say it is very strong and would fit perfectly any town. Maybe even we can say that any town needs one, specially with the systems lords like the members we have here at EB. And most important your MOC made me now interested in Batman line to find some additions to my own town and islet population and vehicles.

Thank you for inspiring ASYLUM!

Thank you, Marko. )

I hope you'll return to our friendly bat-fans family! ) :laugh: And you have a nice collection there! :wink:

6) Look forward to the comic. :thumbup:

And I'm looking forward to seeing your new wonderful MOCs. ) :classic::thumbup:

awesome creation Penguin. :thumbup:

i like the building very much, nice story too.

the exterior is great with nice photography.

the interior is marvelous too. i like the floor plan, really well organized.

how do you managed to made the floor plan like that?

do you make the sketchs first?

this building really used many bricks i think.

great work. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, djo! )

No, I don't usually draw any plans and sketches. I try to keep it all in my head. ) Well, I guess, I might count them one day..... ) :laugh:

WoW! It's amazing, the figs, the arkitexture (sp?) everything. Is the offer for a debriefing of some of Arkhams lesser known inmates still on offer? :grin:

You are always welcome! ) :wink: Thanks a lot! )

Wow! When you said you were creating a new Batman moc I never though it would be this big!

Fantastic job with Arkham Penguin, you've done a great job establishing as eerie mood but also keeping it looking like a facility. The front entrance is the one thing I don't like, it's too plain for me, I think more foliage would be better, and the reception room is a tad plain as well. I think more chairs would add to the look. The actual front of the building is amazing though, I love the gargoyles and skulls, though I noticed a few bricks are not locked in together tightly. The actual patient's room is terrific though, I love the series of floors. The characters rooms are great, though I think Freeze should have a special cell. The rails around the platforms look very neat too ,and the above floor with equipment is a great little touch. I really love the therapy room, it's great, especially with the lights, blackboard and potions. And yes! Another Simon the Pieman cameo!

Overall the whole thing looks spectacular, especially the interior, which is fantastically built. You've really outdone yourself this time friend!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Thanks friend! ) Much obliged! ) :sweet:

As for the bricks, yes, huge MOCs sometimes are difficult to transport, that's why that happens. ) But, it adds to the image of Arkham, does it not? ) :classic:

Well, I can't find any other words to thank you, so just thanks again! ) :cry_happy:

Nice! It gives a very creepy atmosphere, and I agree with you, long, empty hallways are... well, just chilling.

Though the music I was listening to kinda ruined the creepy atmosphere

:laugh: In fact, when I was writing that I was watchinf Family Guy and there was a song "A bag of weed", but still I hope that it didn't ruin the creepeness! ) :laugh: Thanks a lot! ) :classic::thumbup:

WOW how did you made this :oh:*oh2* . This is so amazing, OMG! Your best moc ever. Love it so much. Also like the therapy room, wait this whole this is amazing!

Thanks for this great moc, can't wait to see a new one.

I don't suposed to be in arkham, i must go to blackgate :tongue: . Make that also? :tongue:

The Riddler!

Thanks, comrade! ) :sweet:

Why not? ) You seem pretty crazy to me! ) :laugh: Just kidding.....

Very large and nice MOC, loved the storyline aswell :grin:

TT

Thanks a lot, Tanotrooper! ) :classic:

Fantastic stuff. I didn't know the Creeper goes to Arkham, but I guess he might.

And great narration too!

Thanks a lot! ) i thought it might be an unusual way to present a MOC that way. ) :sweet:

Very, very nice MOC. I was admiring this last night but was too tired to comment on it (it was about 2am)!

The first thing I noticed was the very inventive technique of the men holding balls - if you look in Lego Batman: The Videogame on the flying levels you see a few of them too, and including it in your MOC really captures the spirit! :thumbup:

The exterior looks magnificent and the interior is brilliant too, I love the cells! Great narration/tour also. :devil:

Only one irk I have about this - it looks a little too tall, I've been in castles that (if to scale) would not be so high as this. I know it's meant to be a big building in the comics, but it just looks a little odd, not too bad though.

An all-round well done though, this is a masterpiece! :sweet:

:skull:

Thank you very much, Shoc! ) :sweet::thumbup:

Yes, I also like those statues with balls: looks very Gotham-like in my opinion. ) :classic:

oh, you are too kind! ) :blush:

Thnks for comments! ) :sweet:

WHOAH!!! :wub:

Amazing piece of work!

All those cells.... Which one is mine? :tongue:

The model is really good, with tons of details. Though perhaps it could have a security room.

But what is that little ring of bars for?

Sorry for late reply, gentlemen! ) :blush:

WHOAH!!! :wub:

Amazing piece of work!

All those cells.... Which one is mine? :tongue:

The model is really good, with tons of details. Though perhaps it could have a security room.

But what is that little ring of bars for?

Thanks a lot! ) :classic::thumbup:

*In the voice of the doctor* Oh, you can choose any you wish, dear! ) :laugh:

Ring of bars, pardon? ) :sweet:

I still can't believe you brassoed a Marion head...

Well, I love to customize the figs, and I don't really find anything awful here. ) :classic: