Imperials or Imperials!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Imperials...or Imperials? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

SW or P(?)?

1. Star Wars!!! (42 votes [51.85%])

Percentage of vote: 51.85%

2. Pirates (cricket chirps.) (39 votes [48.15%])

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Darth Legolas

Darth Legolas

• Oh boy vomit brick!

Member: 4695

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:36 PM

Well you heard me. I guess I'm a little biased here with a Darth in my user name, but I'm not going to vote in this topic!

So, not counting Clone Wars cuz "everyone hates it..." which is overall better play and quality? Pirates or Star Wars? I wanna know within the EB community!

It's just a matter of opinionon! I wanna know!
...I have a Death Star...

#2 General Armendariz

General Armendariz

• I invoke upon thee...the Curse of the Merman-General!

Member: 4056

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

Pirates :wink:

#3 daxflame680

daxflame680

Member: 4322

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:24 AM

I voted Pirates. ORIGINAL THEMES FOR THE WIN!! :pir_mad:

#4 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:53 AM

Star Wars. LICENSED THEMES FTW!!!!! :tongue:

#5 CommanderCody77

CommanderCody77

Member: 3697

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

Star Wars definitely because I have known about the theme much longer and
I have not gotten a Pirate set before
I am also a big fan of Liverpool FC, Chelsea, QPR (Queens Park Rangers) , and West Bromwich Albion

Common Sense is not so common
  -François-Marie Aroue

You can do anything, but not everything.
—David Allen

A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
—Baltasar Gracian

#6 Bob

Bob

• Existential Iffy-ness

Member: 3487

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:39 AM

I wish there was an "Other" choice, however, I picked Star Wars as I really enjoy the movies.

However if city theme was up there, it would be a different story.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Click the Spock to see the guided tour through Lexington, my city.
Bob from various Mafia Games

Brickshelf

#7 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

Pirates, obviously. LEGO is supposed to be about creativity and imagination, not rebuilding someone else's idea. Original themes FTW!

#8 Oky

Oky

• I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:17 AM

*huh* Huh? What kind of a question is this? Are we talking about minifigs or about which faction is better in general? Or is this just about the themes? And does this include Classic Pirates? I'm confused. :sceptic:

EDIT: Reading the first post again carefully, I can see that this is simply a Battle of the Themes. However, the Classic Pirates-Yes-or-No question still remains.

EDIT 2: After giving it a lot of thought, I have to say that no matter if Classic Pirates is included in this or not, Star Wars is the way to go! There is a much larger variety in sets, vehicles, minifigs, and exclusive parts. Also, the models of SW are much more accurate to the things they are based on than the ships, forts, and minifgs in Pirates.

View PostBob the Construction Man, on Apr 29 2009, 07:39 PM, said:

I wish there was an "Other" choice (...) if city theme was up there, it would be a different story.
What kind of "other imperials" exists in the city theme? McDonalds? :tongue:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi, 30 April 2009 - 05:32 AM.

#9 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Member: 4757

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

My standard answer will always be: Anything But Star Wars ™. It isn't creative enough, its more expensive than regular themes and some of the construction leaves a lot to be desired. When a theme starts to repeat (releasing the same craft with minimal difference to the first one without a gap of years where said theme was unavailable) and when it costs so much I don't like it.
Pirates isn't my favourite theme (Agents is), I have bought a few sets, but I am waiting for a smaller ship as Pirates were my favourite thing when I was small and yes I find it better than Star Wars for its Not Star Wars™-ness but I like pirates more than an SF that sadly permeated the whole genre so as to come to a point were fanbois and those who don't know any better accuse older works of "ripping it off" (All my favourite SF is pre 1970s dontcha' know) but that is just me and my opinion.
I think I established before that I am Not a Star Wars fan, in earlier topics plus my limited entry to the Star Wars section of this site (I say limited because my friend loves Star Wars and every once in a while the set pictures topic comes up and I link him the new images).

Edited by Peppermint_M, 30 April 2009 - 07:41 AM.

Its the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 mikey

mikey

Member: 5926

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

I think is really hard to decide!  I am a kid of the 80's, so I think the original trilogy was amazing (can't stand the modern ones though).  I think if your from the UK your childhood christmases might have been defined by seeing these films every year (as you frantically tried to recreate the films with a limited supply of classic space?)  I think Star Wars Lego has maybe given us new colours and elements...

But when you see those Lego Pirates, and lines of 18th century infantry lined up.  To me unlicensed themes are the heart and soul of Lego.  What we have here is imagination, creativity, people can go into fantasy or they can head towards historical accuracy.  I'm all for TLC making as much money as possible, so with original themes they don't have to pay out a cut of the profits (which gives them more money to develop new themes and elements, I hope?).  Also the technical ability of the MOC's in the pirate forum here is amazing, i've seen massive accurate ships, ports, harbours and lots more.  So I think for pure creativity it is Pirates, and I hope Lego keeps making it, and giving the right elements, for all the Pirate fans in the world!
my flickr

#11 Guss

Guss

• One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

What if I want to vote for Creator ? ^^

I voted pirates, why ? because I love it^^
Posted Image

#12 Etzel

Etzel

• Me Want Ducky!!!!

Member: 2625

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Easy choice, Pirates of course! :pir-grin:
SW isn't really anything for me, I like the films but I think TLG has used that theme for way too long. It's time for something new.

#13 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

View PostEtzel, on Apr 30 2009, 11:33 AM, said:

Easy choice, Pirates of course! :pir-grin:
SW isn't really anything for me, I like the films but I think TLG has used that theme for way too long. It's time for something new.
I quite agree.

#14 Erdbeereis

Erdbeereis

• Not short in real life

Member: 2630

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Arrgh matey, it be pirate for me! :pir-laugh:

I like Star Wars as well, but Pirates will always be numero uno in my book.

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#15 Eskallon

Eskallon

• Plays with His Ponies in the Corner of His Exploding Glass House

Member: 4444

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

I chose star wars as it s the heart and soul of the lego world. I love the classic pirates sets but there are more star wars sets that I lke and normally after seeing a film I start recreating scenes even when I have seen the film one billion times.

#16 mikey

mikey

Member: 5926

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

View PostEskallon, on Apr 30 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

I chose star wars as it s the heart and soul of the lego world.

Whilst I understand that Lego Star Wars has introduced a generation to Lego, and hopefully earned them a substantial profit, and who can look at a Lego Darth Vader and not smile?

I appreciate the designs and characters, (i would have luved to be kid and had this type of Lego!).  And this all comes down to personal opinions, for every SW fan, you will find a Pirate fan, all equally convinced that their theme is best maybe?

To be honest I don't think we could ever choose between themes, the adaptibility of elements is the key point.  As long as every element continues to connect across the diverse world of Lego, how can we ever hope to choose between these themes?

I wanted to disagree with this view, but now I am seeing every theme as equally valid and creative!  But in my heart I see the core value of Lego to be in the unlicensed themes, in which the imagination and creative aspects should be unleashed!
my flickr

#17 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

I chose star wars as it s the heart and soul of the lego world.
This statement is incorrect.

Financially it's LEGO's best selling theme, but LEGO's heart and soul lies with creativity and imagination, two things that seem rather uninvolved with re-creating scenes from movies of George Lucas's imagining.

Edited by Algernon, 30 April 2009 - 07:24 PM.

#18 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

View PostAlgernon, on Apr 30 2009, 08:23 PM, said:

This statement is incorrect.

Financially it's LEGO's best selling theme, but LEGO's heart and soul lies with creativity and imagination, two things that seem rather uninvolved with re-creating scenes from movies of George Lucas's imagining.
QFT

Plus, Star Wars isn't an evergreen its a perennial weed sadly kept in the media spotlight by endless "quels" (Pre, Se and Mid) being thrown at us from all corners

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 daxflame680

daxflame680

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

View PostEskallon, on Apr 30 2009, 10:22 AM, said:

I chose star wars as it s the heart and soul of the lego world. I love the classic pirates sets but there are more star wars sets that I lke and normally after seeing a film I start recreating scenes even when I have seen the film one billion times.
:angry:WRONG

View PostPeppermint_M, on Apr 30 2009, 03:28 PM, said:

QFT

Plus, Star Wars isn't an evergreen its a perennial weed sadly kept in the media spotlight by endless "quels" (Pre, Se and Mid) being thrown at us from all corners
HAHA, that's pretty funny! I'll have to sig that. :laugh:

#20 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

It is just an opinion greatly jaded by too many fanboys and ignored MOCs on MOCpages, plus the fact that said franchise and myself existed in this happy state where I knew it was there and appreciated it as a decent SF story with some prequel issues and it wasn't constantly there and affecting my interaction with my hobbies and likes. Then I came upon the internet and the denziens therin... It has pushed me into a position where I am sick to the back teeth of it and irritated that SF creativity is strangled by those who don't want innovation they want Jedi V Sith or Clones V Droids or what have you. So yeah. Hype Backlash on my part.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Tom Bricks

Tom Bricks

• Video Games Reviewer

Member: 5938

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

I suspected a win for Star wars but right now it's 24-24. I voted Pirates because I think that it is more creative than the SW sets. The SW sets are also more expensive per part and concentrate on the vehicles. The recent sets - New pirates  :wub: and the Clone Wars sets only tip the scale further in my opinion to the  Pirates.
You can call me Tom
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Flickr
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

#22 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker

• Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

Pirates all the way!  I throw all Star Wars lego in the items to sell to someone else bin.  Can't stand them with only three for four parts exceptions they are useless to me.  Star Wars was awsome... then they wrecked it with the new movies....wrecked it.... no amount of lego can fix that...they are the worst!  I need a drink.  I thought I was over this years ago...wrecked it...wrecked it...
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#23 daxflame680

daxflame680

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:01 AM

Oops. I think I'm losing interest in Star Wars now that I've read through this thread. :tongue:

#24 Tinn-man

Tinn-man

Member: 4164

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:12 AM

Star Wars, because their minifigures go so much further and are much more detailed than pirates.

However, Indiana Jones is my favorite overall theme.

#25 Perterz

Perterz

Member: 5815

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Yeah I bought me a couple Star Wars sets but I sold them all again having had them for a month. I liked the accuracy of the ships and the minifigs are incredible but the parts are -to me- useless and the models got boring after a while.
But that all has more to do with personal preference tho, I really like natural kinda things, landscapes, cliffs, rivers and seas but also surreal and paranormal crapload, witches, ghosts, mythes anyway I think you've guessed by now my vote went to Pirates.
WIP: remote controlled Heavy Terrain Flatbed Pick-Up Truck
Progress: 25%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users