Pieces: 1085

Minifigs: 3

Price:

• Australia - $149.99
  • Austria/Belgium - EUR 89.99
  • Denmark - DKK 899.00
  • United States - $99.99

Resources:

Ok folks, this is my first review, so be nice. Feedback on the review is greatly appreciated as well as feedback on the set.

Set 10194, originally thought to be a fake, has since proven to be so real that LEGO shipped it to me on the 15th of April and I recieved it on the 21st.

I set to work building it immediately, and now I'm pleased to present to you all my 10194 Emerald Night review.

10194 Emerald Night - Box

Front of the box

box-front.jpg

Back of the box

box-back.jpg

10194 Emerald Night - Locomotive

A nice angle shot of the front of the loco

loco-angle.jpg

You can see here that the Emerald Night makes use of the new train buffer. I was originally not sure about the new buffers, I didn't really like them. But Since actually having them, they are much stronger and pull the train a heap better, and for uses like that on the Santa Fe loco, bricklink as well as most of our collections have enough of the older buffer magnets to keep us going.

A photo of the back

loco-back-close.jpg

You can just see as part of the roof of the cab, there is a tan plate - actually, 10 1 x 2 tan tile modified w/ single stud pieces. This is a great set if you are looking for parts like that and the cheese in rare colours.

And a close up of the cab

loco-cab.jpg

The furnace just slides into the cab as illustrated below which is a clever function. It means that the train can be quickly and easily modified to contain a motor or to not contain one. I also like how the furnace has a flame piece inside it.

Train Pistons

loco-pistons.jpg

And the complex gear system that drives them

loco-gears.jpg

This is a great system of gears, and really fun to build and operate. I think it's really nice that this set has the ability to actually be driven from its driving wheels. It's a nice touch to an already stunning locomotive.

A side profile

loco-side.jpg

My thoughts on the loco

I really like the design of the loco. It is certainly designed with no studs in mind. The use of those flexy tube things (not entirely sure what they're called) look great between the top section and the side sections of the green pprinted slopes. I love the way it has been designed to fit all the PF gear in with minimal destruction of the loco. Just the overall feel of the engine too, it has a majestic sort of air to it - like it's ready to steam off around the countryside. It's just so grand. It has beautiful lines and is certainly the best part of the set. It was a challenging build with all the cogs etc, and I really enjoyed construction. I would probably pay the $150 just for the loco without the passenger car and the tender. Although I'm not about to give them up - take a look why:

10194 Emerald Night - Tender

The front of the tender

tender-front.jpg

The back

tender-back.jpg

And the side

tender-side.jpg

My thoughts on the tender

This is also very nice, a heap of cheese, and nice dark green brick. This is designed to house the new Power Functions battery box, and is a perfect fit for that particular part. However there has been complaining about it looking ugly and being too obvious. But I don't think it would be too hard to add a 4x8 plate then add more smaller plates to look like coal to stick on top of the battery box? The only thing that disappointed me with the tender is that the rest of the train is so incredibly detailed, yet LEGO stooped to using a ladder piece for the ladder rather than a different, new and innovative ladder design. But then, I'm probably being a little picky.

Now some pictures with the loco and the tender together

tender-loco-side.jpg

tender-loco-front.jpg

tender-loco-buffers.jpg

10194 Emerald Night - Passenger Car

Angle from one end

car-01.jpg

From the side with the doors open

car-open-doors.jpg

They actually open up really easily which suprised me. In my opinion the doors of this car look brilliant and all the people complaining that the doors aren't good enough, see the set in the flesh before making that judgement. I think they look great.

With the roof off looking onto the comfortable passenger quarters

car-inside.jpg

Tables pulled out of the car

car-tables.jpg

I do really like the interior. It's nice and simple, but it's really good to see the drawers in a set again. The only thing I could improve about the interior is possibly having light brown seats and dark brown table tops.

Looking down the car

car-hall.jpg

This view would be so much cooler with more carriages - but we'll see, because if LEGO does release more, I plan to buy them.

Bogie

car-ladder.jpg

Another thing I think is note worthy is this neat little ladder providing access from the ground to the inside of the car. Iliked this little detail as it means I have an excuse not to build a platform at every stop on my layout. :tongue:

My thoughts on the passenger car

This is very nice - the entire design. The colour scheme of the reddish and dark browns, tan and grey roof is excellent, and the use of 1x1 plates in a diamond shape is something rarely seen in official sets. Also a nice touch. This is a brilliant car that beats the megablocks out of any other cars LEGO has produced, but I still think it looks silly next to such a splendid locomotive. Well maybe not silly, but the Emerald Night kind of makes any car look bad. If I could change anything about the car, I would make it 8-wide as the loco is 8 wide, and it's a wasted opportunity to have an AFOL (8-wide and detailed) car.

10194 Emerald Night - Full train

Here's a couple of shots of the full train:

train-01.jpg

train-02.jpg

train-03.jpg

train-04.jpg

10194 Emerald Night - The other bits

Cab interior

move-motor.jpg

This one is very tricky. The nice coal oven/door thing (with a flame inside) easily lifts out and can be replaced by a motor as illustrated above.

And finally...

The Minifigures

figs.jpg

These figs are maybe a little plain. I love the guy with the suitcases - his grin and orange hair are great. But the woman could have maybe a dress or other pattern on the front of her torso. Also, the driver, his face is brilliant but I'm a little dissapointed he isn't wearing overalls. It could be just me, but I think that all LEGO steam train drivers look better in overalls.

Price: 10/10 - Brilliantly priced, 1085 parts for $150 AUD is nothing.

Build: 10/10 - Fantastic construction. Quite challenging too in comparison to most LEGO sets. But then again, it is a 14+ set, something we don't see too much of. There are a heap of great bits of SNOT, and the way all the cogs that turn the driving wheels were concealed inside the boiler whilst leaving room for the PF gear is just magnificent. I really enjoyed building the Emerald Night.

Parts: 10/10 - Brilliant array of dark green and tan, also a lot of brown. Although not too many great MOCing parts. But I'm not too concerned about that as it's such an awesome set, I won't be destroying it anyway.

Summary: 10/10 - This was a brilliant build, and it's such an amazing result. The style of the 1900's steam era is beautifully captured. It's a very cheap set for what it is. Even though it includes no track or power, there is 1085 parts for the price of $149.00 AUD. Maybe not brilliant MOCing parts, but that doesn't bother me as it's such an awesome set that I have no intention of destroying it anyway. It is a real shame that there's not more than 1 passenger car as this train should be pulling no less than 3. But I would have paid $150 AUD for just the loco and tender so I suppose the car is just an added bonus. A big thing about this set is that it's a first for LEGO trains - the first train with large train wheels. This is great becase it allows LEGO purists that don't want to use Big Ben Bricks to build steam trains.

This is a brilliant set, a challenging build, and I would strongly recommend it to every LEGO fan.

Cap'n Z: this is a beautiful review. It's a gorgeous set. I can't wait to get my replacement and build (next Monday). I'm sitting on one that was damaged in shipping.

Your pictures/angles are fantastic. I like the fact that you put it on the patio railing. The colors and 1900s era design look better than in the pictures of the box.

I want mine! NOW! :wub:

Great review and thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Thanks for the brilliant review. I am now convinced that this set is worth its price tag in all aspects. At first I thought $100 USD was too much for the Emerald Night. Now I see that it is actually much bigger than I thought that it would be. The outdoor pictures add another cool element to the review. In the fifth to last picture I can't help thinking of the train that was shown in the beginning of Disney's Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! :tongue:

A solid review of a most highly anticipated new set! Well done Capt Zuloo, and enjoy your Emerald Night.

I think your review may have persuaded me to get this fine Train for my collection. :thumbup:

This is a very enjoyable and useful review which has tempted me so much to get this train set. In fact, you might have caused me to start off collecting the Emerald Night as my first train set. The entire built is just so incredible, and I love the emerald smooth appearence from its engine till the end of the cabin. This set is incredible, and I will love to get this set soon, but it's a hassle for me to get it since its only exclusive to Shop@Home. Apart from the use of the new PF modules, I will hope to see an extension of the passenger carriage, so we are able to extend the trains much longer. Aren't trains supposed to be this way? The longer the better. :tongue:

I enjoyed this review very much, and I hope you can still contribute more reviews in the future. Good job, and keep it up.

This review has been covered in Classic-Town.net. :wink:

Very nice review of a great set. :wub: Mine should be arriving any day now... :cry_happy: I'm a bit disapointed that you need to remove the driver to motorise it... but I'm also glad that it can be motorised without major destruction. (I want it all. :wink: ) Since mine will only be motorised as a trial (I gave up on my town recently due to room issues) it's probably better for me anyway.

Captain, I built mine today and I tought about writing a review (my first on EB too), but you did it already which means no work for me :tongue:

However here are my comments about his wonderful set:

About the box

:thumbup: The ambiance is there! The box is very well design and shows a context that help children dream and imagine a Lego universe...

:thumbup: Furthermore this is clearly for Lego train connoisseurs: instead of the standard 1:1 scale minifig on the side of the box, you can see the new big driver wheels at the real scale. Great!

About building:

:thumbup: The engine building uses a lot of Technic parts and solutions, which is a good introduction to teens as well as more building fun for "System users" like me.

:thumbdown: This is clearly designed for the PF implementation. People who don't want it have to pay for all these useless part (to pay money, time efforts) but the pro is that, as Captain Zuloo said, the PF conversion is fast and easy.

:thumbup: Two children can build the set: the engine is really 14+ while the tender and the car are very easy to build (they both user basic parts and technics). I didn't feel disappointed but I can understand some people are.

:thumbup: / :thumbdown: While building, the parts are easy to find (i.e. not too many small pieces, different colours for each piece range, etc.), not like the Medieval Market (which have so many identical pieces with various colour shades).

About overall design:

:thumbup: Just look at the pictures above to be convinced!

:thumbdown: As I wrote, the set is clearly designed for PF functions, which implies fewer cab details than expected. Indeed the furnace is nice (and the way you can add/remove it is brilliant), but some manometers, wheels, etc. would have been a nice addition.

:thumbup: The PF integration is not ugly as expected when looking at the instructions.

:thumbdown: Why are there no doors at the car's extremities? This looks "unfinished", it's a pity really.

About PF use:

:thumbdown: Here is the only thing I've hated: there is a lot of friction, especially on the small leading and trailing wheels that are very hard to turn and consume a lot of power. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: A lot of energy is lost due to this bad design.

Question: did you notice that or are my parts wrong??

They should have use the same wheel system as the tender and the car, this would have been less pretty but very more functional!!

:thumbdown: The mechanism is not perfectly fluid, but it work somewhat well.

:thumbup: They use warm white leds (actually greenish-warm-white because the led should be cheap models), which is pretty compared with the standard cool white leds.

:thumbup: The train is very pleasant to drive with the remote, and you can control the speed and the led brightness independently.

Did you try the new flexible tracks?

:thumbup: They offer much flexibility (their name is not a lie)...

:thumbdown: ... But they are so ugly and so noisy!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: I won't use them anymore except in addition to standard RC tracks.

Edited by Cavannus

Thanks for the fine review, Zuloo!

This does look like a beauty and its evocative name is very appropriate. Murder on the Emerald Express!

I was impressed by the 10173 Holiday Train when it was released, but this blows it out of the water. The colour scheme is brilliant.

Mine arrived today (even though I did get charged twice for shipping... I'm not having much luck with S@H :hmpf:) and I look forward to assembling it over the weekend. Green! Green! Beautiful dark green!

Thanks for the review (even though I already read it in the Reviewer's Academy :tongue: )! I would definitely buy this set if I had the money, but I need to save it all for the Star Wars sets...

I really like the "background" that you used for this review. I actually don't like taking pictures on white cardboard, as it seems so plain, and the white sort of hurts my eyes on the computer. I should try taking pictures outside some day. :classic:

train-03.jpg

I can see you in this picture. :tongue:

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the review! This is another set that I am looking much forward to but it is it is never easy to get "5-numbered" sets in Singapore. The only other wish I have is that TLC can sell more of the train cars....., maybe some freight cars too and ....Caboose anyone? Will definitely make the train more complete.

Edited by ultraman_bc

Great review!

I'm not at all a train-guy, but this review makes it very tempting. It is a gorgeous engine.

Tacitus

Cap'n Z: After re-reading your review a little closer, I have a few questions.

1) The light kit/wire has two lights. I'm guessing one is used in the center of the large radar dish. Where is the other?

2) Where is the I/R receiver placed, next to the motor?

Again, a very nice review and I'm really interested in seeing how this new PF system operates, esp. reading Cavannus' additional remarks.

EDIT: also, does the tender open? A view from the top would be interesting to see.

Yes, the light cable has two lights, and you were correct - one goes in the front of the boiler. The other one goes in the actual lamp on top of the boiler. You can the light is sticking out a little behind the lamp in the below instruction scan.

Also, there is no special opening for the tender - it's open anyway. You can see all the PF equipment including the lights here:

scan-thebrickster-10194.gif

In regards to a real image of the top of the tender, no such luck. It's dark as anything and pouring down with rain here.

Dang!

Due to a lack of time (sorting ca. 20 pounds of lego I recently bought from a colleague), Capt. Zuloo beat me with his review.

Very well done, Zuloo, you made a marvellous job here! :thumbup:

I really like the "background" that you used for this review. I actually don't like taking pictures on white cardboard, as it seems so plain, and the white sort of hurts my eyes on the computer. I should try taking pictures outside some day. :classic:

I have to second this! Your background fits very well to the train. I used boring grey plates instead. :blush:

Your idea is so much better, I´m not willing to show my photos any more.

Cap'n Z: After re-reading your review a little closer, I have a few questions.

1) The light kit/wire has two lights. I'm guessing one is used in the center of the large radar dish. Where is the other?

2) Where is the I/R receiver placed, next to the motor?

Again, a very nice review and I'm really interested in seeing how this new PF system operates, esp. reading Cavannus' additional remarks.

EDIT: also, does the tender open? A view from the top would be interesting to see.

The position of the IR receiver can be seen here:

pict0129.jpg

pict0125.jpg

It´s in the middle of the tank (?)

The two led´s are placed in the radar dish and in the light on top of it.

pict0017.jpg

This is how it would look like if you power the train with a standard battery box:

pict0119.jpg

Price: 10/10 - Brilliantly priced, 1085 parts for $150 AUD is nothing.

Build: 10/10 - Fantastic construction. Quite challenging too in comparison to most LEGO sets. But then again, it is a 14+ set, something we don't see too much of. There are a heap of great bits of SNOT, and the way all the cogs that turn the driving wheels were concealed inside the boiler whilst leaving room for the PF gear is just magnificent. I really enjoyed building the Emerald Night.

Parts: 10/10 - Brilliant array of dark green and tan, also a lot of brown. Although not too many great MOCing parts. But I'm not too concerned about that as it's such an awesome set, I won't be destroying it anyway.

Summary: 10/10 - This was a brilliant build, and it's such an amazing result. The style of the 1900's steam era is beautifully captured. It's a very cheap set for what it is. Even though it includes no track or power, there is 1085 parts for the price of $149.00 AUD. Maybe not brilliant MOCing parts, but that doesn't bother me as it's such an awesome set that I have no intention of destroying it anyway. It is a real shame that there's not more than 1 passenger car as this train should be pulling no less than 3. But I would have paid $150 AUD for just the loco and tender so I suppose the car is just an added bonus. A big thing about this set is that it's a first for LEGO trains - the first train with large train wheels. This is great becase it allows LEGO purists that don't want to use Big Ben Bricks to build steam trains.

This is a brilliant set, a challenging build, and I would strongly recommend it to every LEGO fan.

I have to disagree to your ratings.

Price: That´s the most expensive train Lego has ever released. So I cannot agree to a perfect 10. I´d give it a 9/10. Thinking of the fact that the set is almost 200€ with all PF in :sceptic: it´s less than 9.

Build: The passanger car is quite boring, so is the tender. Again less points: 9/10

Parts: Just for the sticker sheet (that came in a very bad condition! :angry: ) it looses 1 point again. Buit I agree with the use of dark green and dark brown - Simply beautiful. And we have tan train windows!!! :wub:

Summary: Not more than 9/10. This is a beautiful set, no doubt, but look at the minifigs for example: 2 with plain torsos? Well. 1 passenger car only? Oh boy. There is room for improvement, so it cannot be a 10/10.

For those who haven´t seen it:

This are photos of the Emerald Night in comparison to the "My own train" 10205:

pict0025.jpg

pict0026.jpgpict0027.jpg

Thanks for the review Cpt. Zuloo! Even though I've already ordered mine (should be here next week, I think), and as such your review won't really affect my purchase, it is nice reading that the set is simply fantastic. That way I know I won't be dissapointed when I get it.

Dang!

Due to a lack of time (sorting ca. 20 pounds of lego I recently bought from a colleague), Capt. Zuloo beat me with his review.

Very well done, Zuloo, you made a marvellous job here! :thumbup:

I have to second this! Your background fits very well to the train. I used boring grey plates instead. :blush:

Your idea is so much better, I´m not willing to show my photos any more.

Holodoc, it will be nice if you could provide EB a rendition of your review, with the PF included. Your background shows neatness not boredom, so don't worry too much about it.

It's always interesting to read similar sets from different reviewers like yourself. :wink:

Thank you everyone for your great responses. I appreciate you positive feedback. :pir-classic:

Yes Holodoc, please do write up a review of K10194. We all know mine will be better, but I'd like to see yours anyway. :tongue:

But really, I do want to see a review of the PF gear so I know if I should spend extra on lights etc.

And yes, it may be the most expensive train, but is it not also the nicest and most detailed?

Nice review captain zuloo ^^ As I don't build trains, I think I'll not buy it, but if there's a train set I must buy, it should be this one^^

Thanks for this review we have all been waiting for so impatiently. Very nice pictures from all angles!

I voted excellent, because this set is absolutely brilliant. It surpasses all train sets we have seen. A must-own for all train fans!

I also hope that TLC releases more waggons for this set. Another passenger car would be fantastic! If they produce two more passenger cars, the better it is for us!

I had a train in the 70's, but none since. Emerald Night has tempted me back, however - I pick mine up on Sunday. I wonder how many others will rediscover Lego trains thanks to this gorgeous set ?

Incidentally, in the UK I'm told you can't buy the Emerald Night Collection (i.e. the train plus all the accessories such as Power Function stuff, flexible track) at the Milton Keynes Lego store. Not sure if that's also the case in Brighton and Bluewater. Apparently they have the train itself instore and they order all the accessories online from Lego S@H on your behalf, but with no postage to pay.

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford

Thanks Cap'n Z and Holodoc for answering my additional questions. I can't wait to turn those lights on brightly and take the train for a spin around the track.

The placement of the I/R Receiver looks rather clever. Would you say that the entire use of the PF system is a bit complex, and/or takes some getting use to; or rather, just another day in the life of a Lego builder?

What's the build time of this entire set?

What's the build time of this entire set?

I can't speak for the PF, although I wouldn't imagine that would take too long to install.

It took me about 3 hours to build the Emerald night, most of that time spent on the loco, and I recall reading that Holodoc and his son spent 2 hours building it with Holodoc on the loco, his son on the rest. So I would estimate 2 hours for the loco, 1 hour for the tender and passenger car. :pir-wink:

It took me about 3 hours to build the Emerald night, most of that time spent on the loco,

Wow! That's a long time for a train (not saying that it's bad). I know the Super Chief and BNSF engines took quite a bit longer than previous trains, but the finished products are definately well-worth the time. I often ask this question, because after spending a long time on a set, I'm reluctant to break-it apart any time soon.

I'm thinking how I might set of my new train layout now??? Break out the old Train Engine Shed... Perhaps even the Super Chief and BNSF... Should I leave the Farm in the background... What will I do with my Classic Town display... Grimwell Manor... Decisions, decisions... :wacko:

Thanks for that very fine and informative review, Captain Zuloo. :thumbup:

A very majestic looking train and a quite sophisticated set, very promising for the future of TLC´s new PF Train line indeed.

Would you say that the entire use of the PF system is a bit complex, and/or takes some getting use to; or rather, just another day in the life of a Lego builder?

Very easy to build in the PF-modules. Could be done (and was done) by a 10 year old boy. :grin:

Like Capt. Zuloo already pointed out, the EN is a set that expects to have PF added.

It took me about 3 hours to build the Emerald night, most of that time spent on the loco, and I recall reading that Holodoc and his son spent 2 hours building it with Holodoc on the loco, his son on the rest. So I would estimate 2 hours for the loco, 1 hour for the tender and passenger car. :pir-wink:

Correct.

I'm thinking how I might set of my new train layout now??? Break out the old Train Engine Shed... Perhaps even the Super Chief and BNSF... Should I leave the Farm in the background... What will I do with my Classic Town display... Grimwell Manor... Decisions, decisions... :wacko:

This brings me to the idea of taking photos with the EN and the engine shed... :sweet:

I´ll keep you updated.