• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Legolas

Darth Legolas

• Oh boy vomit brick!

Member: 4695

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

Posted Image
Now, I've finally done it. The perfect MOC, with the perfect pictures. I'm hoping. Please don't look and leave, because I spent time doing this! It has an Indy Jones German Pilot, (with cooler pants,) but it's only in flesh because the torso isn't yellow!

To begin, here's an angle shot.

Posted Image

Front shot.

Posted Image

Birds eye view, showing my two custom-printed Prussian Iron Crosses.

Posted Image

Close up of the Cross.

Posted Image

The wheels!

Posted Image

The pilot. Yeah, no face mask.

Posted Image

I thought it needed a little more red.

Posted Image

Side view!

Posted Image

Cockpit.

Posted Image

Size comparison.

Posted Image

And last but not least, gallery, when public.

Please comment!

Edited by Rufus, 24 July 2011 - 01:58 PM.
Indexed

...I have a Death Star...

#2 Spyder

Spyder

• Minifig Identikit

Member: 5419

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

Great work. The only thing I think you might want to change is the fact that the guns are blocking the pilots view.  :sceptic:  You just might want to raise his seat a bit. Other than that, it looks very authentic.  :thumbup:

Edited by Spyder, 14 April 2009 - 09:24 PM.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." -Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

Long Live The Nizam!

Quoting Charlieboy:

Be carefull playing lego in the nude,those small parts can get everywhere!!!

#3 Natman8000

Natman8000

• Dorky Obnoxious Tusken Accountant

Member: 2813

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

Holy cow! Nice moc! Wowie! I really like how you made this. Really do. How long did it take, 15 minutes?

( :tongue:)
Posted Image   Posted Image

#4 Tanotrooper

Tanotrooper

• TT Commander

Member: 1514

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Very nice, my only complaint would be that the wings should be rectangular instead of those wedges.

The wheels are very nice though, did you use an elastic around them?

TT
http://www.brickshel...i?m=Tanotrooper
Project Waterloo 1815: FINISHED AT THE MOMENT: 2 companies of the 1st bataillon of "le 45ème regiment d'infanterie de ligne" (pic=link)

Posted Image
  Posted Image
flickr

#5 Darth Legolas

Darth Legolas

• Oh boy vomit brick!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

View PostTanotrooper, on Apr 14 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

Very nice, my only complaint would be that the wings should be rectangular instead of those wedges.

The wheels are very nice though, did you use an elastic around them?

TT

:grin: I used black wagon wheels. It looks like elastic though, doesn't it?  :tongue: I feel bad, because I half-painted some other wheels before I realized I had these!

@Nateman: It probably would've if i had the pieces in front of me! The longest part was the pictures.  :tongue:

Thanks for the comments!

#6 Natman8000

Natman8000

• Dorky Obnoxious Tusken Accountant

Member: 2813

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

View PostDarth Legolas, on Apr 14 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

@Nateman: It probably would've if i had the pieces in front of me! The longest part was the pictures.  :tongue:
Nateman? Its Natman, never nateman. Dont forget that. :wink:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#7 Commander Assassin

Commander Assassin

Member: 5692

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

Nice job! :thumbup: the only thing I didn't love was the propeller which seemed a little blocky. Other than that keep up the good work!

#8 Darth Legolas

Darth Legolas

• Oh boy vomit brick!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the comments! (Again!)  :tongue: I'm taking them all in a lot. I know the wings should be rectangular, but to tell you the truth, I simply found it easier this way. If you could give me some advice on how to fix the propellor I'd gladly do it. And to solve the Pilot problem, when you put him standing upright he'll be above eye level with the guns. I can simply mod on a strange sort of standing-up seat.  :tongue:

#9 Millacol88

Millacol88

• Pokey

Member: 2723

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:16 AM

Very nicely done. My only complaint is that the back looks pretty unnatural with that large curve piece. It just doesn't seem to slope down naturally, you know?

By the way, your pictures are getting better.  :classic:

#10 Thrash

Thrash

• BrickWarriors Creator

Member: 398

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:00 AM

Great work!  I like the decal on the wings  :thumbup:

~Thrash

Posted Image

#11 Dwarfinator

Dwarfinator

Member: 5641

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Not bad. The pilot could have been better, but that's OK. The flag on the back looks a little out of place... but it's not bad, nice build.
Posted Image

#12 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Member: 309

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

I'd been meaning to post my opinion about this MOC a few days ago, but as I was thinking about it got interrupted by a telephone call and forgot all about it.

Other people have already told you that the wings really ought to be more rectangular and you might move them forward a bit.
What lets the MOC down is the shape of the fuselage. If you look at just about any picture of a triplane, you'll see that the top of the fuselage is practically horizontal and that the bottom slopes up towards the tail. Right now, the tail on yours looks as though you ran out of parts. Trying to stick closer to that shape would also solve the problem you are having with the pilot sitting too low.  :classic:
You'll see that the wheels tend to be attached to fairly thin stalks quite far under the fuselage. That's not easy to replicate on something this small, but you might try to see whether you can build something abit less bulky then you have now.

Despite this, the overall look is pretty good. I think the propellor looks fine, although you perhaps replace it with an actual propellor part. I like your use of a 4x4 round brick for the engine. It might not be the most sophisticated thing to do, but it looks the part. The stickers are nice. I also like the wheels, although I suspect they're a bit too big. The pilot looks fine to me and the pictures are nice and well-focused  :thumbup:

Cheers,
Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S, 21 April 2009 - 01:15 PM.

For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#13 jifel

jifel

Member: 1711

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

View PostTanotrooper, on Apr 14 2009, 05:58 PM, said:

Ditto. It is still really good looking, and very realistic. The guns blocking view is a minor point, as it is easy to fix.

jifel

#14 Darth Legolas

Darth Legolas

• Oh boy vomit brick!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

View PostRalph_S, on Apr 21 2009, 06:56 AM, said:

I'd been meaning to post my opinion about this MOC a few days ago, but as I was thinking about it got interrupted by a telephone call and forgot all about it.

Other people have already told you that the wings really ought to be more rectangular and you might move them forward a bit.
What lets the MOC down is the shape of the fuselage. If you look at just about any picture of a triplane, you'll see that the top of the fuselage is practically horizontal and that the bottom slopes up towards the tail. Right now, the tail on yours looks as though you ran out of parts. Trying to stick closer to that shape would also solve the problem you are having with the pilot sitting too low.  :classic:
You'll see that the wheels tend to be attached to fairly thin stalks quite far under the fuselage. That's not easy to replicate on something this small, but you might try to see whether you can build something abit less bulky then you have now.

Despite this, the overall look is pretty good. I think the propellor looks fine, although you perhaps replace it with an actual propellor part. I like your use of a 4x4 round brick for the engine. It might not be the most sophisticated thing to do, but it looks the part. The stickers are nice. I also like the wheels, although I suspect they're a bit too big. The pilot looks fine to me and the pictures are nice and well-focused  :thumbup:

Cheers,
Ralph

Thanks for the tips! Right now, I don't have any of those propeller parts, but I will try to get my hands on one when I make my Sopwith Camel!

#15 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Member: 309

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

View PostDarth Legolas, on Apr 21 2009, 03:37 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips! Right now, I don't have any of those propeller parts, but I will try to get my hands on one when I make my Sopwith Camel!

You're welcome. You may know that building planes is one of the main things I do with LEGO and I'm very particular about what I like, so my comments might be a bit more critical than those by other builders. That doesn't mean I dislike what you're doing. I think it's a great subject to build and think you've done a pretty good job. The propellors shouldn't be too expensive on bricklink. BTW, they work really well in water, that is until they get caught in the 'pondweed' :grin:

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#16 KimT

KimT

• Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith

Member: 101

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Wow, it looks nice.
I'll move this to the 'Other Themes' forum where it belongs.
Good work :thumbup:
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words

Posted Image

#17 Admiral Rodgers

Admiral Rodgers

Member: 5669

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

All very nice EXCEPT the boxyness of the cockpit. I've finished making a Sopwith Camel minifig scale. Other than that great job :thumbup:
Posted Image''Honi soit qui mal y pense''  
'' Evil be to him who evil thinks'

While living in Nazi-occupied Paris during World War II, Picasso suffered harassment from the Gestapo. One officer allegedly asked him, upon seeing a photo of Guernica in his apartment, "Did you do that?" Picasso responded, "No, you did."

#18 Guss

Guss

• One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

nice moc, as everyone stated , I would prefer rectangular wings, but that's cool , I just wonder , on the topic's title there is

AMAZING PICTURES!

what did you mean by that ? Not that your pictures are not cool but why did you put it in the title ? ^^
Posted Image

#19 DJ Force

DJ Force

• Topic Killer

Member: 1193

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

Not really commenting this MOC (It looks okay to me, but I´m a total noob with planes), but I need to ask how the guns would shoot without destroying the own propellors?!

Chapter 2 is online!
Posted Image
Don´t miss this epic adventure, the continuation of the Exo-Force story arch and let Exo-Force get the AFOL-treatment!

Chapter 1, Chapter 2
Building Instructions: Golden City Mini-Flyer, Sky Spy

#20 Eilif

Eilif

• Eco-friendly cheapskate

Member: 2913

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

I guess this is an older thread, but as long as I'm here.  Nice plane.  I think you captured much of the spirit of the Folker Dr1.  However, as others have noted, the wing shape and the dropoff of the fuselage aft of the cockpit are important details in need of modifications.   Good quality pictures also, but at this point, I think the subtext to the thread should read "Historic styled, good pictures".

Keep up the good work, this is a good MOC with alot of potential!

DJ force,  
Machineguns that fired through the propeller's arc were generally synchronized so as not to hit the proplellers.  However some early unsynchonized systems simply consisted of deflector plates attached to the propellers in case the bullets hit them!

Edited by Eilif, 09 June 2009 - 05:36 PM.

Visit scenic Brickington
Article: How to get LEGO for a Penny Per Piece
Member, Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club.

#21 DJ Force

DJ Force

• Topic Killer

Member: 1193

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

View PostEilif, on Jun 9 2009, 05:13 PM, said:

DJ force,  
Machineguns that fired through the propeller's arc were synchronized so as not to hit the proplellers.
Ahh. I thought so, but I didn´t think it was possible back then...

Chapter 2 is online!
Posted Image
Don´t miss this epic adventure, the continuation of the Exo-Force story arch and let Exo-Force get the AFOL-treatment!

Chapter 1, Chapter 2
Building Instructions: Golden City Mini-Flyer, Sky Spy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users