WesternOutlaw

Lego Farms: Western or City?

farmwestcity.jpg

I've been admiring my little farm diorama on the tabletop, and as I was looking at the great black & white cows, and an awesome blue tractor, it got me thinking...

Is Lego's official Farm theme a sub-theme of City; or perhaps, does it lend itself to a sub-theme of Wild West. Some might argue that Wild West is before the 1900s, but what about "WESTERN"? Couldn't you consider a barn, silo, cows, tractors, and minifigs with country-style fedoras western? Perhaps the mid-west?

What are your thoughts on this subject? esp. from some of you fans of the Wild West theme? Is Farm really a City sub-theme? What do you think?

Some visuals to help picture the theme:

farmhousescene.jpg

farmhouserev1.jpg

7634tractor3.jpg

7637 Farm on Brickset

I don't think so. Farms, at least in the American context, appear all across the nation, in every state of the union. New York, for example, has a great deal of rural farming areas. It's definitely city, as I think Western implies not just geographical connotations, but historical ones.

It's definitely city, as I think Western implies not just geographical connotations, but historical ones.

Interesting point Mania3. To some, "western" may take a historic connotation, but other might equate "western" as cowboys, horses, boots, jeans, and a belt buckle big enough to serve a sirloin on; as in "Western Clothing".

Interesting point Mania3. To some, "western" may take a historic connotation, but other might equate "western" as cowboys, horses, boots, jeans, and a belt buckle big enough to serve a sirloin on; as in "Western Clothing".

That's a good point as well. Given that fact, it makes the geographical term pointless a second time. I live in San Diego, CA. Nearly as far West as you can get in the US, yet I never see any of the things you mention. So I think you've introduced the third cultural option, which might be a bit more befitting of the initial point you were trying to make.

Personally I thinks its a sub theme because in some countries the farms are very close to the large cities.

It is definitely a city sub-theme, judging at least from the LEGO sets we have seen so far. It is easy to place a farm set in a city display even if it is not in the city's heart, just like the 6379 Riding Stable.Let's don't forget the fact that some displays are not "cities" but "towns" and having a farm in there is perfectly ok.

Even if it's under a "Western" tag, it is still considered a city sub-theme (just like the Paradisa).

Excellent points there mania3. :thumbup:

Coming from outside the US and leaving geography aside, it's most definitely a city sub theme.

Whilst the cows will fit nicely into a whole range of themes, the previous LEGO Western theme was without a doubt "Cowboys and Indians" in the historical play theme context.

I think Tractors and grain silos do not fit the stereotype here. Of course with a bit of modification of the buildings I'm sure they'd make a great Western style ranch with cattle (modern or historical). That of course is the beauty of LEGO. :classic:

'Course not! In my opinion at least, Wild West or Western will always be cowboys on horses and ghost trains and coach robberies.

Western is pretty well defined in the realm LEGO products as a semi-historical setting loosely based on the USA sometime in the late 1800's. So no, I think the recent modern farm sets is definitely not a western sub-theme. I think it would be geographically correct if it were a subset of "Town", but as we don't have town, it's best placed as a sub-theme of City.

To some, "western" may take a historic connotation, but other might equate "western" as cowboys, horses, boots, jeans, and a belt buckle big enough to serve a sirloin on; as in "Western Clothing".

You are clearly taking the word "Western" out of all context. In the LEGO universe "Western" is clearly a historical theme.

Even if you allowed that "Western" was somehow contemporary your thesis would still be flawed as there is nothing distinctly "western" (in the sense of the western portion of North America) in the sets. As has been pointed out, the farm sets represent farms that would be more at home in the eastern portion of North America.

Sheesh, the farmer even wears a fedora NOT a cowboy hat. No self-respecting "westerner" would wear a fedora. :hmpf:

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

Supposably you know my answer already anyway:

The Farm theme is not only a subtheme of City but goes of course with the Western theme (and with the Castle theme and other (possible) themes), too. :thumbup:

After the beginning of the sedlessness of human there was agriculture and there were buildings which you could more or less count to a farm. So you could even say that the Farm theme belongs to Stone Age, Greeks, Romans, Middle Age (= Castle theme), early modern age, the discovery of the new world (= Pirates theme), industrial revolution and time of the American Civil War (= Western theme) over imperialism, the 20th century until now. (Sorry, people, but I study history! :tongue: )

It's clear that you can't use the City Farm sets for Western, Castle or what ever theme TLG might release. But there could be farm sets which are in the respective style and include the respective accessory and minifigs that they go with this theme.

I really hope that if TLG one day hopefully will release some new Western sets that they will offer us a Western farm set with this typical wind wheel, a barn, some cows or horses, a little field, a farmhouse and the farmer with his family - that would be absoluetly awesome! :oh: :oh: :oh:

Klaus-Dieter

Good discussion. I enjoy reading everyones' point of view, many of which are definately calling Farm a City Sub-Theme, as Lego intended.

You are clearly taking the word "Western" out of all context. In the LEGO universe "Western" is clearly a historical theme.

Not exactly. Wild West is the historic theme that we're all familiar with (part of the "Lego Universe" as you call it). But I'm not talking about Wild West, but rather "Western", sort of a quasi-Wild West + Town. You might even call it "COUNTRY", a new theme entirely.

Even if you allowed that "Western" was somehow contemporary your thesis would still be flawed

Not a thesis, but rather a discussion point. I like to offer a different type of idea (a creative one you might say), and see what others think - good intellectual discussions and debates in the Trains & Town forum.

as there is nothing distinctly "western" (in the sense of the western portion of North America) in the sets. As has been pointed out, the farm sets represent farms that would be more at home in the eastern portion of North America.

I don't know about this. American farms are generally associated with the mid-west, not upstate New York. I'm not a farmer, but eastern N. America is rather cold for good crops and grain, although I'm sure farms are found in these places, as well as California. In addition, we've sort of labelled this as an American farm, but beautiful farms are found throughout Europe as well, Switzerland, France, Germany, etc, as well as other parts of the world. I would not limit the farm sets to Eastern U.S.

Sheesh, the farmer even wears a fedora NOT a cowboy hat. No self-respecting "westerner" would wear a fedora. :hmpf:

Okay, I'll give you that one. :laugh: Perhaps we don't have to call it a Fedora. :wink:

Great discussion!

I think that it is a should be classed as a sub-theme for city. This is due to the fact that when people often think of "Western" they think of things happening a few centuries back, not right now. Also the actual sets fit in too much with the city theme (big, open, lots of vehicles etc.) to be classed as a "Western" theme. Now a farm period could be classed in a western theme, but not the actual sets that LEGO has just produced.

Got to be a town subtheme. There are too many farm machines for it to be a wild west subtheme.

Steve

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

Thanks KD. I was looking for your opinion here, as a WW fan.

The Farm theme is not only a subtheme of City but goes of course with the Western theme (and with the Castle theme and other (possible) themes), too. :thumbup:

Yes, I agree with you completely, and was waiting for someone to bring up this point. Farms can relate to any theme. We've seen great Castle farms as well as well as those more relating to the Wild West.

It's clear that you can't use the City Farm sets for Western, Castle or what ever theme TLG might release.

Why not? With some modification you can easily incorporate the barn. With the cows, fence pieces and other elements, these can easily be used as part of a WW farm.

I was thinking about "spooking up the barn" for a Grave Stone addition.

I really hope that if TLG one day hopefully will release some new Western sets that they will offer us a Western farm set with this typical wind wheel, a barn, some cows or horses, a little field, a farmhouse and the farmer with his family.

Definately, an entirely new idea to the Wild West theme. :thumbup: That would be awesome!

Good points KD.

Also the actual sets fit in too much with the city theme (big, open, lots of vehicles etc.) to be classed as a "Western" theme.
There are too many farm machines for it to be a wild west subtheme.

Yes, the vehicles are definately more modernized. But then again, western ranches and cowboys are using modern machinery these days.

well, tlg classify the farm theme as a sub theme of city. at least that's how you need to navigate on S@H to get to the farm sets.

but i agree with you in that it's more like a modern mid-west (western?) setting.

as i mentioned in a few threads before, it probably makes sense to classify themes in four broader categories: historical, current, fiction, and sci-fi. :tongue: it's then quite clear where this theme sits.

but no matter how you classify themes there are bound to be themes which cross genres. like in a venn diagram, these would share/cross into the major categories. eg. steampunk = historical/sci-fi or in the current categories - castle/city.

Why not? With some modification you can easily incorporate the barn. With the cows, fence pieces and other elements, these can easily be used as part of a WW farm.

I was thinking about "spooking up the barn" for a Grave Stone addition.

Of course you're right in this point, TheBrickster.

But when you want to design your own farm (to which theme it ever may belong - City, Western, Castle, ...) you don't need an official set for this but order bricks form PaB, S@H, Ebay, BL or what so ever.

I was speaking only about this one new Farm set (7637) and meant that when you take it like it is officialy designed (and don't change something) then you can't use it for any other theme.

Definately, an entirely new idea to the Wild West theme. :thumbup: That would be awesome!

Good points KD.

Thanks, TheBrickster! :classic:

I mean: If TLG releases some new WW sets there have to be some really new sets, too, and what's nearer - and more in demand - than a stage coach with post office, a saloon, a steam train with station and a farm?! :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

I'd say it's more city than farm. We've got quite a few farms in my home state, and we're on the east coast! There's nothing "Western" about them at all. ;)

I remember having a similar conversation years and years ago on rec.toys.lego regarding Lego's short-lived "Outback" theme. It was commonly thought of as a "City sub-theme," which really doesn't make any sense. If it's in the Outback ... it's as far from the city as you can get! Likewise, being on a farm is definitely NOT in a city!

But ... I think the City product line is more a thematic one than a literal one. I would define the City theme as "contemporary, realistic sets based on current real-world objects." So, even though you wouldn't often find a tractor or a combine in a city, the fact that tractors and combines are current real-world vehicles would place those sets firmly within Lego's City product line.

I would say city even though farms usually aren't anywhere near cities :P they're more around towns. I always though lego should name the theme towns & cities or something like that because a lot of things such as farms would be more considered town sub themes instead of city.