11 replies to this topic

#1 Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates

Member: 5372

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

Posted Image V-LP-2E

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I decided to build a SWAT truck, I noticed that most real-world designs are pretty ugly. They're flat black and tend to look like delivery trucks. For inspiration, I turned to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City's SWAT truck design, which is significantly more attractive. I took some liberties, of course, making it look a bit meaner and tougher, but you can still see the influence.

Also, I tend to neglect play value in favor of aesthetics, but this model's actually pretty good in that regard. The side and back doors open and the roof comes off to see the inside. Two figs fit comfortably in the cab and you could cram a bunch of troopers either standing or sitting in the back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The model's also 7-wide at most points. I love building at odd widths! This has the benefit of making it large compared to modern 6-wide LEGO city vehicles, but not comically oversized.

Posted Image

More here when moderated:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=376748

Deep links:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

#2 Eilif

Eilif

• Eco-friendly cheapskate

Member: 2913

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

Brilliant Job! I especially like your work on the front and the side angles of the hood. I've never seen anything like it before.
Visit scenic Brickington
Article: How to get LEGO for a Penny Per Piece
Member, Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club.

#3 Ricecracker

Ricecracker

• Stormed Out

Member: 2221

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

Great job as always Carbs! I agree with Eilif that the hood is beautifully done, and I'm loving the exhausts. Keep up the good work.

#4 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:33 AM

I oh my goodness, this is spectacular Carbohydrates!  I especially love how you've made the rear doors and the front engine section! Beautiful!  :wub:

Batbrick Away!  :devil:
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#5 Darth_Legois

Darth_Legois

• Bagel Heretic

Member: 1496

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:00 AM

View PostBatbrick, on Apr 4 2009, 01:33 PM, said:

I oh my goodness, this is spectacular Carbohydrates! I especially love how you've made the rear doors and the front engine section! Beautiful! :wub:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I agree, This is probable the best LEGO SWAT truck I've ever seen. :cry_happy:  :thumbup:

I might have to try and make it. Also I agree that odd numbered cars look better. But im hopeless at building them. :sadnew: Probable 'cos I dont have many 3x1 plates/bricks ect...or other oddnumbered bricks. :hmpf_bad:

Anyway I love it dude, great work. Also it does look like the one from GTA :thumbup:

#6 MetroiD

MetroiD

• Lost in the forest of life

Member: 5374

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

This is simply perfect. MOCs such as this one are a real inspiration to anyone who hasn't decided on how wide their cars and trucks should be (such as myself)... Your design solutions are very crafty & quite unique, I absolutely love studying them and I guess I might even copy a few of those :]]] I do hope to see this truck built out of actual bricks, but I have to congratulate you on being able to build such a marvellous model - I personally couldn't for the life of me build something THIS complicated using only digital bricks :]
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Wow. That does look fantastic. The hood is, as others pointed out, brilliant, and I love the exhaust ports as well.

#8 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

A very detailed and cool looking SWAT truck indeed!  :classic:

#9 Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates

Member: 5372

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

View PostDarth_Legois, on Apr 3 2009, 08:00 PM, said:

I might have to try and make it. Also I agree that odd numbered cars look better. But im hopeless at building them. :sadnew: Probable 'cos I dont have many 3x1 plates/bricks ect...or other oddnumbered bricks. :hmpf_bad:
You'd need a bunch! This MOC uses 24 1x3 plates, 17 2x3 plates, and 35 1x2 w/ 1 stud (jumper) plates.

View PostAsya & Bobby Otters, on Apr 4 2009, 04:40 AM, said:

I do hope to see this truck built out of actual bricks, but I have to congratulate you on being able to build such a marvellous model - I personally couldn't for the life of me build something THIS complicated using only digital bricks :]
Thanks! I'd love to be able to build it, but at 481 pieces, it's right in the "prohibitively expensive" range until I get some more spending money.

View PostFreddie, on Apr 4 2009, 04:58 AM, said:

Wow. That does look fantastic. The hood is, as others pointed out, brilliant, and I love the exhaust ports as well.
Funny thing is the idea for the exhaust was probably one of the very last ideas I had for the MOC. I'm glad you guys dig it.

Edited by Carbohydrates, 04 April 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#10 Guss

Guss

• One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

that's a really really cool truck ! seriously this is the best "police" lego vehicle I saw for now^^ I love it!
Posted Image

#11 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

i like the back doors and the hangover over the windscreen :thumbup:

#12 VBBN

VBBN

• Teaching is made up of patience

Member: 1621

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

Woah, now that is one cool truck! I love the techniques used. Clever job! :classic:

VBBN

Tell me, do you bleed? You will. -Batman, Batman vs Superman

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users