4487 Mini Slave I and Jedi Starfighter

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the set (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your opinion

1. Poor (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Above Average (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

5. Outstanding (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image
Set#: 4487
Name: Mini Slave I and Jedi Starfighter
Theme: Star Wars
Year: 2003
Pieces: 50
Price: I paid 500 yen
MSP: $4 US

Peeron
Bricklink
Brickset

Posted Image

This came up at a good price on the auction, so I grabbed it.  I have the full size Slave and Starfighter, and I really like getting the minis to go with them.  I'm pretty mixed about Episode 2.  I was embarrassed watching the movie with my (then) girlfriend when it came out, but that was because of the lame story and romance.  The ship design was top notch, and the color schemes fairly modern and retro.  The navy and yellow of the Slave and the white and burgundy of the Starfighter feel quite good, better than some of the current Clone Wars color schemes.

The Package
Posted Image

The Pieces
Posted Image
The set has 4 printed pieces.  Two for the starfighter, one for the Slave, and one for the Bomber
Posted Image

The Promotion
This was a Japanese set, and here are the three Kabaya sets released around the same time, advertised within.
Posted Image
As well as the other Lego sets of that year.
Posted Image
The set has 1/4 of a tie bomber, shown here.
Posted Image

The Finished Product
The Slave
I really like this little ship, it's sleek and simple, but really captures the shape.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The Starfighter
This thing is a little too simple for my tastes.  With standard bricks, I don't know what would make it better, but this is kind of flat and boring.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Tie Piece
Posted Image
I'm shopping around to get those other Tie Bomber pieces.

The extra parts
Posted Image

All together
Posted Image

Overall
Design: 8/10 I give the Slave a 10/10, the Starfighter a 6/10.  There's very little to the Starfighter, it's made in 6 steps, the Slave in 8 steps.  Bonus points for both having printed parts, the Starfighter having 2, and the Slave having the large blue piece printed with green and yellow.

Playability: 10/10  These mini pair sets were really well thought out, and are really fun.  This set recreates part of Episode II and if I were a kid rather than just a kid at heart, I'd be thrilled to have this.

Price: 10/10 I was lucky getting it at the price I did, but up to $10 would be really reasonable for this set.

Build: 8/10  Really simple, but you can learn a lot about using odd pieces, so, particularly with the Slave, it is a lesson in effective minimalism.

Average Score: 9/10

Edited by def, 01 June 2009 - 04:00 AM.

Da Shen

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#2 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

This is the best of all four of those MINIs :thumbup:

#3 KinGanon

KinGanon

Member: 3952

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

This thing is a little too simple for my tastes.  With standard bricks, I don't know what would make it better, but this is kind of flat and boring.

Maybe if they used a translucent cheese slope the cockpit would look a lot nicer(though I'm pretty sure cheese slopes weren't available yet)

Anyway great review, the Slave One looks phenomenal(by far my favorite of the first wave), and I agree that the Jedi Starfighter is bland(but its great that they even put printed pieces in a MINI :wub: )

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users