4485 Mini Anakin's Podracer and Sebulba's Podracer

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the set (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your opinion

1. Poor (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Below Average (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Average (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Above Average (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. Outstanding (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image
Set#: 4485
Name: Mini Anakin's Podracer and Sebulba's Podracer
Theme: Star Wars
Year: 2003
Pieces: 72
Price: I paid 1000 yen
MSP: $4 US

Peeron
Bricklink
Brickset

Posted Image
From Amazon

Who will win the Boonta Eve Classic podrace? Hold the power of the force in the palm of your hand! Build amazingly detailed smaller versions of classic Star Wars ships and vehicles with LEGO Star Wars Mini Models! Return to Mos Espa and recreate the thrills of the Boonta Eve podrace with these detailed MINI Models. Who will win -- Anakin Skywalker or Sebulba? You decide! Collect all four sets -- 4484, 4485, 4486, and 4487 -- and get the pieces needed to build a special TIE Bomber MINI Model. A great addition to your Star Wars collection!

I've been looking for these 448~ series sets.  I like minis, but also, I want to build that Tie Bomber.  Of the 4 sets though, this was the one I was least excited to get.  I had the original Anakin's Podracer set, and it was okay, but not a favorite.  After building this though, I was pleasantly surprised.

The Package
Posted Image

The Pieces
There weren't any printed pieces or stickers, but there were some interesting pieces.  Particularly, the clear stands (made with standard turret molds and dishes) and the sharp-looking orange pieces are welcome new additions to my collection.
Posted Image

Leftovers
Posted Image

The Promotion
As I said above, the set is came with 1/4 of a Tie Bomber.  Very successful promotion since that's why I bought the set!
Posted Image
The Tie Bomber wing
Posted Image

The Finished Product
Sebulba's Podracer
I really dig this ship.  I like the weight of it, the aero-dynamism of it.  The colors are beautiful together.  Maybe it was the low expectations I'd had, but I said "Wow" when I finished it.
Posted Image
I like the way the engine bricks are twisted at 45 degrees to create the arrow shape.  
Posted Image
The clear underside does a good job of creating the illusion of floating.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anakin's Podracer
I liked this one a lot less.  The build is simpler, and is the first ship in the instruction book (the first is generally the weaker of the two).  It's built in four steps.  But, it is relatively accurate to the movie version.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All together

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overall
Design: 9/10 These are difficult ships to design, since they are so sparse.  Definitely Sebulba's ship by itself is a 10/10.  One thing which might have made it better would be some kind of tube connecting the engines to the ships, though it might have made it clunky.

Playability: 10/10 The paired sets are a perfect (LEGO) idea.  These ships make up a large part of the Phantom Menace's best scene, and you get two to race against each other.  You can hear the DON-DON-DON-DON-DON of the racers just by picking them up!

Price: 10/10 Not much money, and you get two cool sets.  If it was just Sebulba's racer, I would be fine with the price

Build: 8/10 Nothing too unusual, but Sebulba's racer has some interesting techniques on the engines, to create the right angles on it.

Average Score: 9/10

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#2 DarthSion

DarthSion

• Almost Delicious

Member: 5003

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Nice set, how did you manage to do 2 reviews so close, 5mins apart?.
I suffer from chronic apathy, I was going to go see a doctor about it, but I don't really care.
Twitter for dummy's, kind of redundant isn't it.
A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.
APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.
Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi, 'The Return of the Jedi'

#3 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

3 :tongue:

They were in the reviewers academy, and I was just moving them over.

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#4 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

I was gonna get this set but they only had the snowspeeder and atst so i got that. I think this is better though just for the different colours and clear parts

#5 soc399

soc399

Member: 5223

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Nice review!  It really makes me want this set, especially since I've enjoyed the recent minis so much.  I bet it was awesome to collect all the sets from 2003 and make the TIE bomber.

#6 kill will

kill will

Member: 2273

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

This is one of the 2 SW minis I have, and I don't really care for it.  :hmpf_bad:

Good review though!
A winrar is you!

#7 RileyC

RileyC

• >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

I missed out on all these mini sets.  :sceptic: They are really cool but they are not worth $25 NZ for them now though. Great review by the way! :tongue:

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#8 Commander Flash

Commander Flash

Member: 5083

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:33 AM

Nice set and review, the two trans-orange lightsaber piece was a good choice, although i would just make them into sabers  :classic:
My brickshelf: http://www.brickshel...manderFlash7707
Flickr account: http://www.flickr.co...rflash/?saved=1

Looking for any helpful Town/City based tutorials, such as buildings, cars, and other things in a city. PM if you would like to share tutorials

Posted Image
Carlo Fergusen in Noir Mafia...Died Loyal

#9 Brickthing

Brickthing

• Mr. Perfect

Member: 4229

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Good review! This is one of the two Star Wars sets that I have, and although I don't care to much for the models, the pieces of this set are wonderful, especially the orange heads, yellow flameholders and the trans-orange lightsaber bars.  :thumbup:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users