Review: 8420 Lego Street Bike- ALTERNATE BUILD

3 replies to this topic

#1 starstreak

starstreak

• RA Anniversary had won over the 'Malevolence'

Member: 5099

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

I'm going to do a brief review of the alternate set for the #8420 Lego Street Bike, which is a "Low Rider" type bike.  I would normally include it in the normal review, but I just built it and wanted people to see it.

Set Name: 8420 Lego Street Bike- Alternate build
Theme: Technic
Released: 2005
Pieces: 506
Price: $49.95/39.99euro/35.45pounds

Alternate set- Low Rider
Posted Image
This is what it should look like in the manual.

Build Process
Posted Image

Engine build.  Looks the same as the street bike.

Posted Image
Starting on the frame of the bike.

Posted Image
More of the front frame is on.

Posted Image
Rear frame and tire now on.  Looks good with the tire like that. I like the one-sided arm.

Posted Image
Turned around.  Now you see I added the rear frame and front holder for the fork.

Posted Image
Now the aero parts parts on, including the chain and rear fender.

Posted Image
Now front wheel and fork is on.

Posted Image
Flipped it around. Finished.  You can see the mufflers and handlebar is all done. :)

Sexy finished shots.
Posted Image
Side profile.

Posted Image

Front view.  Wow.  Looks great either way.  Either as a street bike or low rider.

Posted Image
Rear shot.  Very clean.  Interesting how it used the windshield as the rear fender.  It works well like that.

Features
No suspension like the first bike, but the wheels turn, the handlebar swivels, the rear tire turns the chain and moves the engine pistons.  

Final thoughts
Wow.  I never thought of building alternate sets.  This one came out so well, it could've been the main set.   I did notice that it required alot less pieces.  That in itself is unusual.  Normally you build the set, and find extra pieces to make the alternate.  This one, I think I had exactly the parts for the main.

My rating:

Playability:
4 out of 5. Works like a toy bike. I wouldn't fling it down the stairs, but its good.
Design: 5 out of 5. So close. They should make a UC version of this. (updated.  It's higher now because the alt is that good.)
Build experience: 3 out of 5. On a technic scale. It's a little harder than the snow mobile. But you don't need to be in high-school to build it.
Overall: 5 of 5. Buy it if you like bikes or a good technic set.  (updated.  It's higher now because the alt is that good.)

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

#2 Front

Front

• Odonaman!

Member: 2934

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for showing the alternative, I have never done anything but the main model.
It has to be said that the steering angle is a bit extreme on this model, but it can be found on real custom bikes too.

The bike does not look that great from the side, but your two last pictures from other angles, make the bike appear much more cool.

#3 starstreak

starstreak

• RA Anniversary had won over the 'Malevolence'

Member: 5099

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:00 PM

Yes.  I think the angle view gives it the "look" that bike mags might use. :)
But I'm like you.  I don't do alt, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought I would try.  And it turned out fine.

View PostFront, on Mar 14 2009, 11:52 AM, said:

Thank you for showing the alternative, I have never done anything but the main model.
It has to be said that the steering angle is a bit extreme on this model, but it can be found on real custom bikes too.

The bike does not look that great from the side, but your two last pictures from other angles, make the bike appear much more cool.

#4 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

This looks better than the first model because it has no unsightly gaps, unlike the racer which had no gas tank. The only thing i don't understand is why lego choppers have their front lights at a 45 degree angle pointing up (this and the blue creator 3-in-1 set)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users