Sign in to follow this  
MetroiD

MOC: Divco Flower Power Truck

indexed.gif V-LC-12A

So Asya wants us to build a florist's store once we're done with our current big project - and that sounds like a fun build. But then we thought that just keeping those flowers locked up in a shop would be a crying shame... so we decided that we'd let our florist have some help in the form of a delivery guy who would drive one of those cute little snub-nosed trucks.

divco_5_6_04_001.jpg

We haven't even started with the florist's store yet, but we're already done with our Flower Power truck. There it is, the lovable Divco, restored to and ready to roll around the city and deliver some happiness - not in the usual (for this truck) form of dairy products, but it still caries a rather natural product!

[imghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-i9tb1-HUhSA/Tu_jsEouR4I/AAAAAAAAHas/9Tdu4DliGaI/s500/1235774041m_SPLASH.jpg[/img]

12357736192_DISPLAY.jpg

Building this was tons of fun and I guess it shows... despite using some of my discoloured bricks (after all, it IS a truck from the 1960s!)

12357736224_DISPLAY.jpg

Divco trucks were equipped with a brilliant driving system which had the gas and brakes positioned next to the steering wheel. In that way, the driver did not have to sit down in order to operate one of these and that was a feature we wanted to bring to our creation. The reason for that is that these ones were usually used as milk distribution trucks, so they had to make multiple stops every other second - and having the driver sit down and stand up all the time was quite impractical for that.

12357736213_DISPLAY.jpg

The traditional windshield design is complemented by the side windows' form. A big issue with this one, however, is the gap which remains between the "windshield" and the side window. Owing to the fact that the latter actually swings open, I could not think of any way to close up that gap. I would be extremely grateful if any of you guys could come up with a solution of that problem...

12357736235_DISPLAY.jpg

Coming up next: The florist's shop. More pics of our snub-nosed friend can be seen @ MOCpages.

P.S.: Chopper Otters? LOL!!! :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: Thanks guys, I love our new nickname :D

Edited by Phred
Fixed broken images.

You've captured the original shape very nicely with this MOC. :thumbup: My favourite part is the two different levels of curved on the bonnet. I also like the angled front windshield and the window wipers, but off the top of my head I can't think of solution to cover that gap. Hmm. If I think of anything I'll let you know!

My only feedback would be that I'd probably have used one of the old style wheel arches at the back rather than the new ones that stick out slighly (I'd still have kept a new one at the front though). I think this would been more faithful to the original shape, but I like your interpretation.

Looking forward to the florists!

Thanks Pedro :) Actually, this one is not a 1:1 copy of the pic I posted... here's another reference photo:

crystal_springs_divco.jpg

Divcos came in different shapes & sizes throughout the years, but we tried to go for the "original" 60s look, hence the usage of all four wide fenders. That gap is still bothering me tho and the worst part is, even if I can implement a SNOT solution to cover up that gap, it makes the truck look too gaudy - which is a thing I definitely wanted to prevent from happening. Minimalistic, yet colourful is pretty much what the original was all about. Do let me know if you get any ideas :]

I wouldn't worry too much about that gap. It's not too noticeable and a worthy sacrifice to be able to maintain the shape of the nose and windshield which i think you've got spot on. I like the flowers on the side too, a very clever way of showing its purpose.

Laurie

This is solid, unique and cute. I think you would do a better job in six wide or wider though. You are brilliant! You can make it look even sleeker and rounder, I bet. Besides, we are on the same side of the six-wide/wider roadplates war. Promote six-wide vehicle building! This is still really great despite my size complex. :blush: Nice work.

Thank you for your comments guys. Guess I won't worry about those gaps any longer then ;]

Promote six-wide vehicle building!

Thanks for the kind words mate - but I think I'll keep this one in 4-wide for the time being, since it feels more realistic that way. The Divcos do look smallish and building one in 6-wide would be sorta like building a Mini Cooper or VW Bug in 6-wide... But you got me thinking. I did build a Ford Crown Victoria taxi a couple of months ago in 4-wide, however I wasn't exactly thrilled with the outcome. I think I'll rebuild that one in 6-wide and turn it into my 6-wide initiation MOC :D

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters