• Please log in to reply
1331 replies to this topic

#1326 Jim

Jim

• Staring at favicons

Member: 19306

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

Littleworlds, on 17 July 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

Maybe inside a bigger box to prevent the package from being damaged too.
This comment is very important. Preferably store the boxes inside another box or (non sticking) bag or wrapping. Plastic bags might stick to the box when it gets hot (not sure, maybe).

#1327 ACPin

ACPin

• Fantastically Plastic Man

Member: 9552

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

A very economical/easy to use for parting out sets and sorting deconstructed MOCs are the advent calendar trays.

AC

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1328 SevenStuds

SevenStuds

Member: 144827

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

I've tried those Advent Calendar trays, but it find it difficult to see parts at the bottom of the black compartments. Back in 2009 (I think), they were transparent and before that white, which made them better for storage. I believe that Kinder also makes advent calendars today with white 24 compartment trays, but you can't part out chocolates on Bricklink just to keep the trays :laugh:

#1329 legosamsonite

legosamsonite

Member: 142978

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

This is a very helpful thread, I've been collecting since 2008 but on a child budget and currently student budget, i only have about 200 sets and it was kind of getting crowded in my 7 ft by 10 ft lego area, so im taking apart 50% of my collection, mostly childhood sets i dont like anymore, for scrap parts, so this gives me some ideas for my project i started in april

I may have procrastinated a bit

#1330 Preuss

Preuss

Member: 84820

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

bartneck, on 23 January 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

I got so fascinated by the topic that I compiled my research into a little book: The Ideal Order. You might enjoy reading into the foundation of the sorting problem.

Posted Image

I bought the book after seeing this post without even reading the Amazon.com description. As I started reading, I thought it was a nice touch to have an introduction showing the human side of the issue and even read some parts to my wife to show our arguments about LEGO are not that uncommon.

It took a couple of chapters for me to realise it wasn't a step by step guide to sorting LEGO, but something much more personal - and I'm glad my wife's disdain isn't anywhere near Maki's level (yet?). Now I am wondering how much of it is fictional while eagerly reading chapter after chapter to see how it will end. And maybe how I should try sorting my bricks.

I'm particularly enjoying the discussions around taxonomies - maybe my degree in what was formerly known as Library Sciences has something to do with it. Oh, and it almost made me go ahead and bricklink a 928 - something I've been considering for a while. If I do, I'll have to tell my wife it was your fault.

Edited by Preuss, 28 July 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#1331 Mega-l0-maan

Mega-l0-maan

Member: 162852

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Sorry to butt in, but did you try out your new setup yet with the blue containers, Jim?

Very curious on how it turned out, since I am too on the verge of rearranging my bricks for easier access.

#1332 Jim

Jim

• Staring at favicons

Member: 19306

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostMega-l0-maan, on 18 August 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

Sorry to butt in, but did you try out your new setup yet with the blue containers, Jim?

Very curious on how it turned out, since I am too on the verge of rearranging my bricks for easier access.
Actually I am still in the midst of sorting and reorganizing. I do already like these containers, because I like to build like this:

Posted Image
(not done sorting yet)

I can take the containers I need and put them on my desk. Liftarms, panels and bigger stuff I store in bigger transparent pvc containers or Stanley boxes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ASK HERE, sorting, storage, large collection, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users