REVIEW: 4712 Troll on the loose

5 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (16 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 - Below Average (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 3 - Average (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

4. 4 - Above Average (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

5. 5 - Outstanding (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Matn

Matn

• supermegaawesome

Member: 2084

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

This set was released in 2002, in the second wave of Harry Potter sets. The scene appeared in the first Harry Potter book/film: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Hermoine rushed to the toilet, but a troll was on the loose. And offcourse, the gang of three ran into him.

So far my little introduction. As said, this set is located in the first movie. Hermoine ran off to the toilets and stumbled upon a troll. Ron and Harry got to her and together they defeated the beast. This little set doesn't include Ron or Hermoine, but the troll and, another, Harry Potter figure. It counts 71 parts and costed about 10 euro. I bought it for 8 euro, but it was in new condition.
Posted Image

As said, the set only contains two minifigures. That's a little pathetic, if you know the movie scene had four characters. Again a Harry Potter, man, I have way to many of them. However, we do get a troll figure. And that one is just awesome! It's the only set this troll comes in.
Posted Image

The troll is just great. He has a sand blue color and a "bloody" head which is useful for zombies and such. A shame the other arm doesn't move and nothing fits in it. You may notice this isn't the right club  which is normally brick built. When I got this set I immediatly changed it with the newer Castle one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I guess the building is ok. It isn't that impressive or special. It includes a sink, a door, some walls and an arch on top of it.
Posted Image

The door can open for extra playability! =P
Posted Image

Here is the rather nice sink. I like it. It even "breaks" like the sinks in the movie.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh, and there is a strange thing just beneath the arch. A little crate with brown bricks in it. You can let them fall. WOW!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Another highlight in this set is the orange pumpkin head. It only appears in two sets: this one and the Scary Laboratory (1382).
Posted Image

That was it. The 4712 Troll on the loose set isn't that bad. It's fine. The special pieces (sink, troll, pumpkin head) compensate the not that impressive building. Offcourse this set is usefull for its parts, just like any other Harry Potter set. It's a nice addition to your Harry Potter collection, if you collect them. If you see it for a low price, and it includes the troll, don't let it get away!

I hope you enjoyed this Harry Potter review.  :classic:

Edited by WhiteFang, 11 February 2009 - 04:33 PM.
Poll added.

#2 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Matn, thanks for doing this review! It is wonderful to look at those past Harry Potter sets in here. I find the big troll pretty interesting, but I never really get to own this. By the way, I find this set name pretty amusing. I still prefer the recent Troll (Brown or Green) from the Castle sets.  :tongue:

I have added a poll in it. Hope you don't mind.  :classic:

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#3 soc399

soc399

Member: 5223

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the review!  I got this set recently, mostly because I wanted the special troll.  The sink and jack o' lantern pieces are nice, too.

#4 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Man, I miss Harry Potter. It's strange, because I don't think it's a great theme- it was notorious for underdeveloped structures and having WAY too many arches- but I still really miss it. This review brought me back. Thanks, and I'd love to see some more!  :thumbup:

#5 Matn

Matn

• supermegaawesome

Member: 2084

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Thanks.

And yes, I miss them too. Every time I get a "new" Harry Potter set it takes my back seven years when I was little. And then I get that nostalgic feeling, going in the toystore and seeing all those HP sets together. Oh well... The next review will be up in a few minutes. =)

#6 ILikePi

ILikePi

Member: 5159

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

That troll minifigure (or should I say gigantofigure  :tongue: ) looks weird, but hey, it's an exclusive to the set!  :cry_happy:
It doesn't look right when it's naked  :look:

Edited by ILikePi, 17 February 2009 - 04:55 AM.

Find out more about me on my WIP About Me page!
Latest LDD model: 7263 Temple Escape - Flickr - Brickshelf - My Collection (Brickset)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users