Legoman

MOD: 10144 Sandcrawler - Motorised!

What would you like to see next?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see next?

• A Sandcrawler R/C
    • A Sandcrawler programed to do things with an RCX
    • Nothing - keep it as it is
  2. 2. What do you think of the initial MOD?

• Great Job! Keep it up!
    • It's good...
    • It's average... It needs... (follow up - post in topic)
    • It sucked because... (follow up - post in topic)

indexed.gif

EDIT: Update: video here

Well, i desided to MOD a Sandcrawler. I basicly just stuck a couple of motor's in it. :tongue:

From the outside you can't even tell!

sandcrawler1.jpg

These two pics basicly show the (very basic) mechanisim.

sandcrawler3.jpg

sandcrawler4.jpg

It's fairly simple. But it works great! It took me about an hour or so. And after a few tries i had it working great!

Over-all, i'm quite pleased with it. :sweet:

Let me know what you think. :sweet: All Questions / comments / constructive critisims welcome :wink:

Legoman

Edited by KimT

Full points for not having it show up on the outside, but unless you change it to a wireless controller, you're going to have to open the sandcrawler each time to turn it on/off aren't you?

Oh - i forgot to add that bit... :tongue:

The Top...

sandcrawler6.jpg

Has a hatch...

sandcrawler7.jpg

Wich you can put this little thing through

sandcrawler8.jpg

sandcrawler9.jpg

But thanks for that idea of making it RC... i might just try that if i get the new power funtions stuff....

Legoman

That looks real nice, Legoman. Might just have to look into that myself. Adding the infrared wireless activator would make it even better, it's true, though. And (no criticism of your Sandcrawler) Í still would have prefered it if TLC would have made the front tracks steerable instead of the back tracks...

That looks real nice, Legoman. Might just have to look into that myself. Adding the infrared wireless activator would make it even better, it's true, though. And (no criticism of your Sandcrawler) Í still would have prefered it if TLC would have made the front tracks steerable instead of the back tracks...

Yeah i aggree, but then you couldn't put the crane in. :wink: (not that the crane was any good mind you :tongue: )

I will look into Adding the infrared wireless activator - once i free up some money to get it. :cry_sad:

This is a great modification. You are right, you can't even tell the difference. You made a not so well set become an amazing, motorized set. This actually reminds me of the motorized AT-AT. Is that where you got the idea from? Did you use mindstorm parts for this mod?

LegoKing

This is a great modification. You are right, you can't even tell the difference.

LegoKing

Thanks!

You made a not so well set become an amazing, motorized set.

LegoKing

Thanks! But To be honest i think this set is unfairly trashed. It looks avarage in most pics, but in the flesh i really like it! I think it's actully a really good set.

This actually reminds me of the motorized AT-AT. Is that where you got the idea from?

LegoKing

Not really. I've always been into mechanical stuff and when building the set i felt it was made to be made motorised.

Did you use mindstorm parts for this mod?

LegoKing

Nope. Just the original 9v motors and battery box.

Legoman

Edited by legoman

Kit-bashing RC functions would make it complete. :classic: If you can afford two then you'd be able to race them! Thank you very much for enchancing a vehicle that would otherwise be very unlikely to be motorised!

Genius! Pure genius! If I had the set, I'd do it in an instant.

Thanks! :classic:

Kit-bashing RC functions would make it complete. :classic: If you can afford two then you'd be able to race them! Thank you very much for enchancing a vehicle that would otherwise be very unlikely to be motorised!

As i said i'll work on it. :wink:

And ummm.... I have 4 of them :blush: (What a shame only one is mine to keep) :tongue:

I was thinking, if you had two separate motors, one for both the right side tracks, and one for both the left side tracks, along with IR, you could therefore drive it like a tank? Smashing idea, I do like the Sandcrawler and you've given me a few ideas on how to make it more playable!

Cheers,

M.

Great idea! :thumbup: Great technique! :thumbup:

Perhaps you could make the motor blend in by adding some pipes and machinery around it. :thumbup:

JD

I was thinking, if you had two separate motors, one for both the right side tracks, and one for both the left side tracks, along with IR, you could therefore drive it like a tank? Smashing idea, I do like the Sandcrawler and you've given me a few ideas on how to make it more playable!

Cheers,

M.

Well. It does use two motors. It's just that a sandcrawler uses 4 tracks - not 2. Therefor, needs steering and cannot drive like a tank.

awesome idea indeed.

nice modification.

great job. :thumbup:

Thanks! :classic:

Great idea! :thumbup: Great technique! :thumbup:

Perhaps you could make the motor blend in by adding some pipes and machinery around it. :thumbup:

JD

Thanks! To be honest thats probably not going to happen. My next job is motorising the steering and hooking it all up to an RCX to program.

I will update you all as it goes on. I'm currently up to programing and final MOD's :wink:

EDITED: Added Poll. Please vote :wink:

Fine modification.

I'd love to see this with the RC unit installed.

Indexed and thanks for sharing.

Great modification and great idea offcourse.

To steer it, maybe you can use 4 mirco 9v motors and rebuild the tracks itself. In this way you need only a few wires inside the sandcrawler for the batteryholder. And you can use the powerfuntion to control it. Only I hope the micro 9v motors are strong enough to move the sandcrawler.

OK guys

Well I don't currently have any RC stuff, but i have got the sandcrawler all hooked up with steering and mooving tracks. I'll try program it over the next few days.

Any ideas on what to program it to do?