MOC: Auto Mechanic

32 replies to this topic

#1 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Flying Hippo that Shoots Lasers out of its butt

Member: 486

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

Posted Image B-OV-8B

Here is my latest creation, something to accompany my Hinckley Brewery on the lonely walk of life:

Posted Image
(I'm having trouble with my camera settings, so forgive the photo quality. It's not the best... :cry_sad: )

a 3/4 shot:
Posted Image

Here's the view inside the garage door:
Posted Image

A closeup of my favorite detail, the windows:
Posted Image

A shot from the early development stages:
Posted Image

Together with the brewery:
Posted Image

And lastly, a shot of the car lift:
Posted Image

So, enjoy and if you'd like to see more, the full gallery can be found here.
Thanks and please feel free to leave feedback. :classic:

Edit: A shot of the inspiration for this MOC:

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Now playing Simon Persimmons in Walter Kovacs's Unrest in the Forest

#2 Thee Pirate

Thee Pirate

Member: 1026

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

that lift almost looks like it actually works :thumbup:
All time favorite: the original Imperial Flagship
Modern favorite: Race for the Stolen Treasure (X5 and counting)

Set list on Brickset
flickr

#3 dhaas06

dhaas06

Member: 3445

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

:cry_happy: That is incredible! I've always regarded your brewery as a work of art, but something about adding this to it takes it to a whole new level. Both MOCs are outstanding, but together they shine. The attention to detail is appreciated, and those windows really have the look of a classic, industrial city building.

I just love the way that both models have the same "feel" to them, like they are without question on the same street, in the same town, in the same era, yet still separate entities.  :thumbup:

#4 Klaus-Dieter

Klaus-Dieter

• 4-Wide Kerfuffler

Member: 1588

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

That's an amazing MOC, Hinckley! :oh:

Although you know that I don't like CC styled buildings (because of their backwalls) I really  :wub: this your MOC!
It's so perfectly designed with lots of details and great architecture! And the lift looks very realisitic, too! :oh:
I hope that TLG will release more buildings in and older architectual style like yours in the City theme, too!

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

#5 AFOL12v

AFOL12v

Member: 921

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Very good. High factor of quality and details.

#6 iamded

iamded

• Cannot neigh to save his life.

Member: 1225

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Very nice Hinckley. I love how the brown + frown work together so well in this, just as in the brewery. The roof is neat too, with that handy, er, handle. :grin: Quite clever. I do love cosy interiors, and this one is very nice indeed, with everything the crew needs. Cool lathe too, now they just need a welder. :grin: Great job again, looking forward to seeing more additions to Hinckleytown, Bazooville, Moonlight, TIP(?), whatever it is... :wacko: :tongue:
~Peace

Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the best fun.

#7 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

Hinck, thanks for sharing us. I saw the Brewery in Brickzone before, but I never knew there was a topic for it in here.  :tongue: As for this moc, I must admit I do like it very much, especially on its outer looks with great combination of brown and tan bricks.  :thumbup:

I wonder what kind of vehicles could you service inside your building? Only 4 studs?  :tongue: Oh, I heard someone in Classic Town.net has featured this remarkable moc.  :blush:

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#8 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

View PostWhiteFang, on Jan 12 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

I wonder what kind of vehicles could you service inside your building? Only 4 studs?  :tongue:
What? Them's fighting woids! :tongue: Of course not. 4-stud cars are not welcome. Actually, they won't even fit on the lift. The pics on the site are of a six-wide car being serviced...

#9 5150 Lego

5150 Lego

• Has a ball of string and isn't afraid to use it

Member: 586

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

Wow! Very impressive. Great detail inside and out. I like how you've built the whole thing on a road base plate, and built it a couple bricks of the foundation. This gives the mechanics a work bay underneath. Very cool. the tool boxes are also very creative. Great job!
Calm down... HAVE SOME DIP!

If at first you don't succeed,........ Then skydiving is not for you!

Check it out! www.emergencybricks.com

#10 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat

• Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

Cool, definitly has that old New York feel to me. :thumbup:
I like the mixing of the new and old brown to make it look like a brick wall, works very well.
What part did you use to make the lift raise? (The red grill like part)
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#11 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

This part:

Posted Image
combined with this part:

Posted Image
make a working lift.

It can be found in a few sets including Futuron, Space Police and Town.

#12 Thee Pirate

Thee Pirate

Member: 1026

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Wait, the lift works? Sweet!
All time favorite: the original Imperial Flagship
Modern favorite: Race for the Stolen Treasure (X5 and counting)

Set list on Brickset
flickr

#13 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

Mmm. Very nice indeed. Especially the interior, when very few are actually going to see it without studying it first. :tongue: But by all means, that's an outstanding exterior you've built as well.

I'm wondering, are you using the old harbourblocks as roadplates for these structures, seeing how they are raised well above the baseplate. The sidewalk hints at it, but only an answer will stop that nagging feeling of not understanding another's logic.

#14 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

View PostFreddie, on Jan 12 2009, 04:49 PM, said:

I'm wondering, are you using the old harbourblocks as roadplates for these structures, seeing how they are raised well above the baseplate.
Yes, the harbour blocks were the reason for these to be built at this standard. I used the ramp to achieve this "loading dock" effect in the brewery:

Posted Image
Now everything must match that. Someday, I'll build a nice microbrewery/restaurant to transition from street level to this standard...

#15 BlueBard

BlueBard

Member: 2796

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

Wow, wonderful MOC, Hinckley!  :thumbup:

I really like the interior, I wish this lovely building could do part of my city...  :wub: Now I'll have to do a better one! LOL  :tongue:

#16 Dragonator

Dragonator

• Blurry? No! Furry? Who knows?

Member: 2052

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

Hinckley, this is quite stunning. You really have an eye for architectural detail, although we already know that from your previous MOCs.

The colour scheme is great, very fitting to the type of building and it matches the Brewery nicely. I like the contrast between the brown front and the tan walls on the sides and back. One thing I really do love about these two buildings is your use of 1x2 bricks to give the brick-and-mortar effect. This is a really nice detail that greatly adds to the overall MOC.

I really love the windows on the front, they have a very "factory" look to them, however I'm not so sure why you put the white window frames in the middle of the glass windows on the sides. To me it just somehow looks... odd I guess. :sceptic: Maybe that's just me though. :laugh: I just don't quite understand why you did them that way, that's all, perhaps you could explain? :blush:

Other than that, the rest of the building is top standard, and I love it! :wub: It just brings together the whole look of older industrial buildings that I have a thing for, with the elaborate façade and the rather more plain side walls. This is really in the style of these buildings, and I don't think you could have captured it any better.

The interior equipment is all really well built, I especially like the lathe, it looks just like my granddads (only smaller). :grin:

A great MOC indeed, certainly a nice addition to the industrial part of your city. :sweet:

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

Feel like relaxing with a blood-thirsty game? Check out the LEGO Mafia, RPG and Wargames forum

#17 Monki

Monki

Member: 4301

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:05 AM

Wow, what a beautiful MOC. Very clever use of the brown/maroon bricks, gives it a very realistic brick look. Your MOCs are amazing, Id love to see a town layout or a scene with a few of your creations.

By the way, how do you source your lego pieces for such creations? Is it primarily from your existing supply of bricks or do you bulk order the specific pieces from Bricklink or S@H?

Posted Image

#18 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

View PostDragonator, on Jan 12 2009, 06:56 PM, said:

I really love the windows on the front, they have a very "factory" look to them, however I'm not so sure why you put the white window frames in the middle of the glass windows on the sides. To me it just somehow looks... odd I guess. :sceptic: Maybe that's just me though. :laugh: I just don't quite understand why you did them that way, that's all, perhaps you could explain? :blush:
I'm so glad you asked! That happens a lot in Chicago. People by old warehouse or factory spaces and the window are inadequate for ventilation or to see through. They're just a wall of glass brick. So what offices, condos and new businesses often do when they buy these buildings, to save a buck or two, is replace the center with a small operational window instead of replacing the whole huge area. Otherwise they have to have custom windows made and sometimes even add some supports. So... that's why I added those. I wanted it to look like this mechanic had bought and renovated an old warehouse and added those windows so he could ... well, breath ... and easily see outside.

:sweet: Great question!

View PostMonki, on Jan 12 2009, 07:05 PM, said:

Wow, what a beautiful MOC. Very clever use of the brown/maroon bricks, gives it a very realistic brick look. Your MOCs are amazing, Id love to see a town layout or a scene with a few of your creations.

By the way, how do you source your lego pieces for such creations? Is it primarily from your existing supply of bricks or do you bulk order the specific pieces from Bricklink or S@H?
Thanks Monki!

Here's a shot of my modular creations together from my Art Deco Movie Theater topic:

Posted Image

I haven't worked my industrial creations into the layout yet, but I've just had new display tables made, so we'll soon see how it'll all layout. :sweet:

Thanks for asking.

#19 Dragonator

Dragonator

• Blurry? No! Furry? Who knows?

Member: 2052

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

View PostHinckley, on Jan 13 2009, 02:15 PM, said:

I'm so glad you asked! That happens a lot in Chicago. People by old warehouse or factory spaces and the window are inadequate for ventilation or to see through. They're just a wall of glass brick. So what offices, condos and new businesses often do when they buy these buildings, to save a buck or two, is replace the center with a small operational window instead of replacing the whole huge area. Otherwise they have to have custom windows made and sometimes even add some supports. So... that's why I added those. I wanted it to look like this mechanic had bought and renovated an old warehouse and added those windows so he could ... well, breath ... and easily see outside.

:sweet: Great question!
Right, that makes sense, in that case I think they fit perfectly for the intended purpose. :sweet:

View PostHinckley, on Jan 13 2009, 02:15 PM, said:

Here's a shot of my modular creations together from my Art Deco Movie Theater topic:
Ah yes, the lovely streets of Moonlight. I Love that town. :wub:

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

Feel like relaxing with a blood-thirsty game? Check out the LEGO Mafia, RPG and Wargames forum

#20 Norro

Norro

• Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

I just saw this on Classic-town. Very impressive work. The textured bricks look great and you've combined a cool simplicity with a very detailed building. I love the intricacy of the front. Great work!

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

#21 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

A wonderful work... very charming and simply beautiful to look at!  :thumbup:

#22 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

View Postdhaas06, on Jan 12 2009, 03:55 AM, said:

:cry_happy: That is incredible! I've always regarded your brewery as a work of art, but something about adding this to it takes it to a whole new level. Both MOCs are outstanding, but together they shine. The attention to detail is appreciated, and those windows really have the look of a classic, industrial city building.

I just love the way that both models have the same "feel" to them, like they are without question on the same street, in the same town, in the same era, yet still separate entities.  :thumbup:
:blush: Work of art? Thanks! The windows were the inspiration for this model. There's a building by my office I based this off of. I always forget to post the inspiration. I'll go find that picture and do that. But I bought those 1 x 2 trans-clear bricks from LEGOland years ago. I meant to make cross-framed windows with them for a skyscraper, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I love the look of these old glass block windows in the buildings around our office, so I figured this would be a great way to use all those bricks. I still have a ton left too. :laugh:

View Postiamded, on Jan 12 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

Very nice Hinckley. I love how the brown + frown work together so well in this, just as in the brewery. The roof is neat too, with that handy, er, handle. :grin: Quite clever. I do love cosy interiors, and this one is very nice indeed, with everything the crew needs. Cool lathe too, now they just need a welder. :grin: Great job again, looking forward to seeing more additions to Hinckleytown, Bazooville, Moonlight, TIP(?), whatever it is... :wacko: :tongue:
~Peace
I suppose I should solidify the name of my town since it just becomes everything. :laugh: That handle was a last minute addition. I went a little crazy with the technic beams and pins framing the roof and I realized I had no way of removing the roof the way I had already built the walls. Thus, the "handle." It was probably the best solution and I think that extra level on the roof makes it look even more authentic. Thanks so much for the comments! :sweet:

View Post5150 Lego, on Jan 12 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

Wow! Very impressive. Great detail inside and out. I like how you've built the whole thing on a road base plate, and built it a couple bricks of the foundation. This gives the mechanics a work bay underneath. Very cool. the tool boxes are also very creative. Great job!
Thanks, man! Yes, this standard is based off of the harbor/train station plates. I used them to build the loading dock for the brewery (see above post) and now this "area" of town needs to be raised to the same level. I wonder how I'll add roads and transition it from my "sea level" area of town. :laugh:

View PostBlueBard, on Jan 12 2009, 06:10 PM, said:

Wow, wonderful MOC, Hinckley!  :thumbup:

I really like the interior, I wish this lovely building could do part of my city...  :wub: Now I'll have to do a better one! LOL  :tongue:
I can't wait to see it!

View PostMonki, on Jan 12 2009, 07:05 PM, said:

I forgot to answer this earlier. Part Pick-a-Brick but mostly Bricklink.

View PostNorro, on Jan 17 2009, 11:53 AM, said:

I just saw this on Classic-town. Very impressive work. The textured bricks look great and you've combined a cool simplicity with a very detailed building. I love the intricacy of the front. Great work!

God Bless,

Nathan

View PostAsuka, on Jan 17 2009, 12:29 PM, said:

A wonderful work... very charming and simply beautiful to look at!  :thumbup:
What's this? Is it 2006? Two of my favorites posting one after the other and commenting about my MOC? How nice. Hi guys! Good to see you. Thanks for the comments. :sweet:

#23 Zepher

Zepher

• I can't control my tongue

Member: 3241

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

As always fantastic!  The thing that always impresses me with your MOCs is the detailing.  It looks really... real.  I'd love to see you build even more and more of a city!  I'm sure it would be an incredible layout!

-Zeph

Lord Lawrence Boomingham

&

Nash Ash in Unrest in the Forest

#24 Hinckley

Hinckley

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

View PostZepher, on Jan 18 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

As always fantastic!  The thing that always impresses me with your MOCs is the detailing.  It looks really... real.  I'd love to see you build even more and more of a city!  I'm sure it would be an incredible layout!

-Zeph
Thanks Zepher! :classic:

Here is a pic of the inspiration for this building which I've also added to the first post:

Posted Image

#25 Ras 74

Ras 74

• Prince of PM´s

Member: 114

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

WOW!
This is really great Hinck  :thumbup:

Really nice. I´m just stunned.
So another building to the city.
Sometimes I want to build my own city.
Then I really need more space then I got...

Mocs like this is really an inspiration.

-Ras-
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users