The issue of leaked pictures and information...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Sweden

Sweden

• Enigmatic Humour

Member: 105

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

When lego2000 started his topic "LEAKED PICS!!!" I thought I'd write something about the issue of the so called "leaked pictures and information" that surface every now and then and as I think this is a issue that's worth a topic on its own (unless someone of the moderators have something else to say).

To my knowledge at least the whole issue of "leaked pictures and information" started when Mr. Tim Saupé started his (former) From Bricks to Bothans website and forums and its "Respect the Brick" policy that has become ever so famous over the long years that have past ever since it was founded.

A "personal" guess of mine is that Mr. Tim Saupé had great visions and ideas for his (former) website and that he tried to establish some sort of "relationship" with The LEGO Company trying to be the number one Star Wars LEGO website that were the place to go for exclusive news.

In the beginning it did seem to work but then all suddenly "other" websites started to get exclusive news about the LEGO Star Wars line and to make matters worse these "other" websites got yet more exclusive news even though they published so called "leaked pictures and information" about future sets.

Finally Mr. Tim Saupé gave up trying to have a relationship between The LEGO Company and all of the fans of Star Wars LEGO that had joined his (former) website and left it in the hands of "Green & Garlic and his gang" that still continued its policy against this so called "leaked pictures and information" about sets.

The reason to why I even bring up Mr. Tim Saupé and his (former) From Bricks to Bothans website and forum is because The LEGO Company in the beginning seemed to approve to this, in my personal opinion utterly stupid, policy that there's no legal news etc unless approved by The LEGO Company themself.

But over the years so called "leaked pictures and information" about future sets has been published on for example the "Rebelscum" website and forums but still they do get exclusive news about future sets and I truly wonder what logic that lays behind this weird approach by The LEGO Company. :|

What I am trying to say is...

If "leaked pictures and information" is a no no then all websites and forums should be equally treated by The LEGO Company but we all know that they aren't doing so and in my humble opinion that's business pratice that belongs to the Mafia and not a very well known toy manufacturer. *sick*

If "leaked pictures and information" is such a incredibly huge and serious problem for The LEGO Company then why the heck don't they go to the source of it instead of harrasing websites and forums for fans of their lines and once again that's Mafia business pratice. :|

One can also truly wonder why certain websites and forums endorse this business practice and try and kiss up to The LEGO Company when they got absolutely nothing for it at all and then again it's not like future LEGO sets are governmental secrets that involves national security. *sick*

The way I see it...

The so called "leaked pictures and information" about future sets is really just one helluva free advertising campaign for The LEGO Company as it creates one helluva "hype" amongst builders and collectors in the LEGO community boosting interest for new sets and making high sales figures.

Sure, I'll admitt that The LEGO Company has competition from other manufacturers of Star Wars toys like Hasbro and their action figures amongst others and that they compete with each other in the way on how and what fans of the Star Wars movies invest their hard earned money in.

But The LEGO Company doesn't really have any competition in their "specific field" of toys so that "leaked pictures and information" damage their sales figures is just one helluva big myth that they've created to boost interest for new sets and increasing sales figures.

The way it is...

To make the effort of running a website and forum worth something it's very much dependent on members and followers coming there regulary and a very qualified guess of mine is that it's the very main reason for certain websites and forums to endorse this business practice and kiss up to The LEGO Company.

Sure, we "AFOLs and KAFOLs" are just a small (around 10 or so I've seen and heard) percentage of the sales figures of The LEGO Company but we "DO" make a certain and "important" income for them but as long as "some" endorse their business practice and kiss upp to them they'll never ever respect us at all.

I've watched over the years how The LEGO Company have used websites and forums for fans of the LEGO Star Wars line as free advertising and how they don't really listen to them and as long as "it's all about the money" they'll just see us as a bunch of nerds that they can make some money on.

The hilarious part of all this...

lego2000... Who died and made the "Respect the Brick" policy a new law? :|

Imagine a trash can... Lift the lid... Place the whole policy in the trash can and put on the lid again and just forget it ever existed...

Sweden - The One... And only.

Edit:

A whole lot of what I've said was mentioned in whole or in part in that "other" topic but I was bored and wanted to contribute to the website and forums with this article about the issue of "leaked pictures and information" policy that I'll never ever will be able to understand. ;)

#2 christopher110

christopher110

Member: 196

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:35 AM

Sweden, on Oct 6 2005, 09:06 PM, said:

The way I see it...

The so called "leaked pictures and information" about future sets is really just one helluva free advertising campaign for The LEGO Company as it creates one helluva "hype" amongst builders and collectors in the LEGO community boosting interest for new sets and making high sales figures.
I totally agree on this. I like ur opinion, Sweden.

#3 Chuck

Chuck

Member: 291

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:51 AM

Sweden, on Oct 6 2005, 09:06 PM, said:

The hilarious part of all this...

lego2000... Who died and made the "Respect the Brick" policy a new law? :|
That's a good question...but not to ask me, because it would be "leaked information"...I've already said to much  *glasses*

#4 Dino_Bot

Dino_Bot

Member: 475

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

I second that...But the fans are the ones who take care of this now...Personally, Im grateful that the pics leaked, and every other fan in the world probably is...
But yes, its true, its done to create hype, neither Lego or the fans should be complaining.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users