REVIEW: 8633 Agents Mission 4 Speedboat Rescue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this set? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Your opinion

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. Above Average (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. Outstanding (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Trouble on the high seas!

No not pirates, Breakjaw, one of Dr Inferno's Henchmen has captured Agent Trace. Breakjaw intends on feeding her to the terrible cyborg sharks! Will Agent Chase rescue her in time?

Set Description

Set Name: Agents Mission 4: Speedboat Rescue
Year of release: 2008
Set Number: #8633
Pieces: 340
Minifigures: 3 (5 if you count sharks  :wink: )
Price: 40.99 Eur/29.35 Pound/39.99 Dollars US/ 59.99 Au Dollars
Brickset
Bricklink
S@H

Box
I must admit I really like the box art for this set, and the Agents Colour scheme is very eye catching (without haveing to be lime green) This is Mission 4 out of 7, with Dr Inferno's base not being a numbered mission. All out action is seen on the box, showing all the characters in the midst of good ol fashioned spy action.

Posted Image

Instructions

The instruction cover is the standard copy of the box art, I assume to make matching up sets a lot easier.
Posted Image

Stickers
In order to make these Agents sets really stand out, TLC has used stickers. I don't usually like the dreaded sticker sheet, but in this case I feel they serve a purpose in adding flair to this set.
Posted Image

Minifigures
A standard Agent Chase is included (hey, he's the man!) Token Damsel Agent Trace, and Breakjaw.
Agent Trace features a double sided head, one losing her cool spy exterior, and the other in control of herself.
Posted Image

Posted Image

There are also 2 great sharks in this set, which were a nice inclusion and spice up the ocean action nicely. The evil Breakjaw and Dr Inferno have fitted these sharks with radio collars and lasers (Dr Evil would be proud)
Posted Image

Release the "Laser" sharks
Posted Image

The Build
The build starts off with the detachable mini boat, piloted by Agent Chase. This is a sleek, well designed vessel.
Posted Image

It looks even more impressive with the cockpit on.
Posted Image

Next up we have a progress shot of the twin-hulled speedboat. Rather than overlapping plates on top, the hulls are connected by technic pins. You can also see the placement of the steering wheel on the right side. This only allows a minifigure to stand when piloting the speedboat.
Posted Image

A closer look at the speedboat shows my hand pushing down the docking mechanism release for the smaller boat.
Posted Image

Next up we have the small oil rig beacon platform. It has Breakjaw's jet ski safely stowed inside. The side of the rig is ejected out using a technic push rod on the other side of the platform, also propelling the jet ski out into the ocean for a quick getaway.
Posted Image

From another angle we get a better look at the side of the rig with the very nice ladder detailing using 3 of this piece Posted Image, as well as a great look at the smooth styling s of the jet ski. Nice use of cheese slopes maintains the low profile of the jet ski too.
Posted Image

The completed rig, shows the hanging Agent Trace in a whole lot of trouble. The top of the rig has a nicely constructed beacon light as well.
Posted Image

Complete
There is a whole lot going on in this set with the large and small speedboats, rig platform, jet ski, and two radio controlled sharks.
The complete speedboat boasts a winch on the right side attached to the anchor/harpoon, and a net gun on the left side, which fires out a net nicely capturing the target. A missile is also able to be launched from the left side of the boat. This is a flickfire missile.
Posted Image

A closer look shows that Dr Inferno must have a great dental plan, besides Breakjaw, his sharks have pearly whites!
Posted Image

To finish, I present a picture with a nice ocean backdrop to situate the action appropriately.
Posted Image

Conclusion

Design: 9/10, A well designed set with lots of moving parts.

Price: 8/10, Lots of great vehicles included as well as figures and sharks.

Playability: 9/10, You will get a lot of play hours out of this set. From the sharks, minifigures, boats and the array of weapons.

Overall: 8.7/10, A well deserved score for a great set.

In closing, let me say I had a lot of fun building this set, with its many nods to James Bond and other spy movies from my youth. If you feel the same sense of nostalgia towards these movies, I suggest taking a look at the Agents Lego sets, you wont be disappointed!

Thank you for reading.
Cheers
ISC

More pictures here

Edited by TheBrickster, 01 January 2009 - 08:01 PM.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  

#2 mandziarat

mandziarat

Member: 4626

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

I got this for Christmas, nice review. I always say "Sharks with fr***ing laser beams on their heads :classic:
Don't try me, unless  we can make a deal for Power Miners.

#3 MightyMegs

MightyMegs

Member: 3694

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

I LOVE the mini-sub. I put Chase in it, and carry it around everywhere.

#4 Darth_Legois

Darth_Legois

• Bagel Heretic

Member: 1496

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:39 AM

This was my first Agents set :classic: [And definetly not my last I have Turbocar, Speedboat, Goldhunt, jetpack pursuit and I will get Volcano base & Mobile Command Centre]

I really like it, Probable one of my favourite Agents set :sweet:

Accept I think Chase would be better if he had the double-sided head  :hmpf_bad:

But Trace makes up for it. :sweet:

Nice review btw. :classic:

#5 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

This is a very nice review.  The pictures are fantastic!  I also like the humor with Dr. Evil.  

I really love those new sharks.  I may have to break down and buy this set just to get some of those sharks (although I have one in the new Pirate set, Brickbeard's Bounty, that I haven't opened yet).

In any case, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

#6 Mike Yates

Mike Yates

Member: 4783

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:23 AM

View PostDarth_Legois, on Dec 30 2008, 01:39 AM, said:

This was my first Agents set :classic: [And definetly not my last I have Turbocar, Speedboat, Goldhunt, jetpack pursuit and I will get Volcano base & Mobile Command Centre]

I really like it, Probable one of my favourite Agents set :sweet:

Accept I think Chase would be better if he had the double-sided head  :hmpf_bad:

But Trace makes up for it. :sweet:

Nice review btw. :classic:

The volcano base agent chase has one side with shades and the other side is quite diffrent, its the standard city angry one

#7 kill will

kill will

Member: 2273

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:11 AM

Sharks with frickin' laser beams! What more can be said, really. Anyways, great review ISC, though I personally don't care for the set.  :sceptic:
A winrar is you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users