• 5 - Outstanding

7032 Highway Patrol & Undercover Van

Set #: 7032

Theme: World City - Police & Rescue

Year Released: 2003

Piece Count: 151

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $15 (USD)

Set 7032 Highway Patrol & Undercover Van reminds me so much of Classic Town. With it's 4-stud-wide vehicles, excellent minifigs, and lots of extras brings me back to a simpler time in which Classic Town sets were abundant in Lego's line-up. Let's take a closer look at this set and let you decide how well you like it.

Starting with a similar box as other World City sets, not much in terms of detailed boxart:

01box1.jpg

The back of the box still shows some alternate models including an airplane and jeep:

02box2.jpg

The set includes three small stickers:

03decals.jpg

I like the accessories (some not pictured as I left them attached to the vehicles), esp. the road block and lap top computer:

04access.jpg

The set includes two figs, a nicely detailed police officer, and "Man In Black", the mysterious Mr. X. I love that black suit :wub: :

05figs.jpg

My favorite of the two vehicles is this Highway Patrol vehicle that I think looks more like an all-terrain vehicle or 4-wheel drive. The black 1x3 doors gives it the Classic Town look:

06jeep1.jpg

Here it is at a different angle:

07jeep2.jpg

I like the creative use of the grill piece and the 1x3 angled plates:

08front.jpg

The back end has some space and hooks for attaching police equipment:

09back.jpg

The van is pretty nice as well, but very non-descript. I suppose the alternative would be to have large POLICE decals on each side of the van, not really making it very undercover. I like the use of the small train windows on each side of the van:

10van1.jpg

The van also includes some surveillance equipment:

11radar.jpg

I love the back end with opening doors. The inside can be used to store some of the police equipment:

12vback.jpg

Here's a Highway scene with both vehicled stopped for a road block:

13set1.jpg

And the complete set:

14set2.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Although I don't think the name really describes this set very well, it is a wonderful little police set for the World City collection. As mentioned above, with the 4-stud-wide vehicles complete with 1x3 doors, this set really has a Classic Town look in my opinion. I esp. like the Police Jeep and the Man in Black, the two highlights of this set. It was a good value set offering a lot of police chase fun.

Nice review! I remember buying this along with 7044 helocopter years ago. I bought this set formy nephew, and the helocopter for myself! This was during my dark ages and i remeber him and I having alot of fun playing with both these sets. Brings back some good memories. :cry_happy: Thanks for bringing me back Brickster! :classic::thumbup:

These vehicles are definitely reminiscent of classic town. The van is strikingly similar to the one in this set. The camera and radar/antenna can actually fit inside the van, which I think looks better than hanging them on the outside.

The MIB is one of my favorite town minifigs, and the printed badges are also a nice touch.

The tires in my set were slightly defective though, bulging out at the edges for some reason. The van's wheels wouldn't turn smoothly with them and I had to replace them. It's a good thing those tires are so common.

Edited by CP5670

Above average for the World City line, which makes it average compared to the rest of the Town line. The van is a good feature, but the chunky tires make it look odd. It would have been neat if the van was made to look like a flower or delivery van, pretty typical of undercover vans in movies/tv.

Thanks for the great review, Brickster. :thumbup:

Honestly, this is how 4 wide vehicles should be done. I've never been a fan of the tiny go-cart style vehicles in many old town kits, but that doesn't mean I don't like four wide at all. On the contrary - sets like this one show that you can stay in the 4-wide scale and still achieve a smooth and fairly realisticially scaled design. Add two great looking vehicles to two nice figures and some good acessories, and you have a 5 from me! :wink:

Im still kicking myself for not geting this! I remember seeing this on the shelf and not geting it! :hmpf_bad::sad:

I miss that old police torso, Its more realistic then the new ones... :hmpf_bad:

Anyway I gave it a above average, Nice review too :classic:

Hi!

I'm not one for "necromancing" old threads needlessly, but this is one of the VERY FEW town sets for which I was able to recreate one of the alternate models from a single photo from the back of the box - the plane with control center. Hopefully my photos will help people recreate it, including myself - I never bothered to recreate it in LDD or any virtual lego software!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=390256

Above average for the World City line, which makes it average compared to the rest of the Town line. The van is a good feature, but the chunky tires make it look odd. It would have been neat if the van was made to look like a flower or delivery van, pretty typical of undercover vans in movies/tv.

100% agree to this statement!

Edith has just noticed how old this thread was... :blush:

Edited by PsyKater