REVIEW: 7032 Highway Patrol & Undercover Van

7 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 - Below Average (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

3. 3 - Average (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

4. 4- Above Average (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

5. 5 - Outstanding (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

7032 Highway Patrol & Undercover Van

Set #: 7032
Theme: World City - Police & Rescue
Year Released: 2003
Piece Count: 151
Minifigs: 2
List Price: $15 (USD)

Set 7032 Highway Patrol & Undercover Van reminds me so much of Classic Town.  With it's 4-stud-wide vehicles, excellent minifigs, and lots of extras brings me back to a simpler time in which Classic Town sets were abundant in Lego's line-up.  Let's take a closer look at this set and let you decide how well you like it.

Starting with a similar box as other World City sets, not much in terms of detailed boxart:

Posted Image

The back of the box still shows some alternate models including an airplane and jeep:

Posted Image

The set includes three small stickers:

Posted Image

I like the accessories (some not pictured as I left them attached to the vehicles), esp. the road block and lap top computer:

Posted Image

The set includes two figs, a nicely detailed police officer, and "Man In Black", the mysterious Mr. X.  I love that black suit :wub: :

Posted Image

My favorite of the two vehicles is this Highway Patrol vehicle that I think looks more like an all-terrain vehicle or 4-wheel drive.  The black 1x3 doors gives it the Classic Town look:

Posted Image

Here it is at a different angle:

Posted Image

I like the creative use of the grill piece and the 1x3 angled plates:

Posted Image

The back end has some space and hooks for attaching police equipment:

Posted Image

The van is pretty nice as well, but very non-descript.  I suppose the alternative would be to have large POLICE decals on each side of the van, not really making it very undercover.  I like the use of the small train windows on each side of the van:

Posted Image

The van also includes some surveillance equipment:

Posted Image

I love the back end with opening doors.  The inside can be used to store some of the police equipment:

Posted Image

Here's a Highway scene with both vehicled stopped for a road block:

Posted Image

And the complete set:

Posted Image

Final Thoughts:

Although I don't think the name really describes this set very well, it is a wonderful little police set for the World City collection.  As mentioned above, with the 4-stud-wide vehicles complete with 1x3 doors, this set really has a Classic Town look in my opinion.  I esp. like the Police Jeep and the Man in Black, the two highlights of this set.  It was a good value set offering a lot of police chase fun.

#2 5150 Lego

5150 Lego

• Has a ball of string and isn't afraid to use it

Member: 586

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Nice review! I remember buying this along with 7044 helocopter years ago. I bought this set formy nephew, and the helocopter for myself! This was during my dark ages and i remeber him and I having alot of fun playing with both these sets. Brings back some good memories. :cry_happy:  Thanks for bringing me back Brickster! :classic:  :thumbup:
Calm down... HAVE SOME DIP!

If at first you don't succeed,........ Then skydiving is not for you!

Check it out! www.emergencybricks.com

#3 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

These vehicles are definitely reminiscent of classic town. The van is strikingly similar to the one in this set. The camera and radar/antenna can actually fit inside the van, which I think looks better than hanging them on the outside.

The MIB is one of my favorite town minifigs, and the printed badges are also a nice touch.

The tires in my set were slightly defective though, bulging out at the edges for some reason. The van's wheels wouldn't turn smoothly with them and I had to replace them. It's a good thing those tires are so common.

Edited by CP5670, 27 December 2008 - 10:51 AM.

#4 Section8

Section8

Member: 857

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Above average for the World City line, which makes it average compared to the rest of the Town line.  The van is a good feature, but the chunky tires make it look odd.  It would have been neat if the van was made to look like a flower or delivery van, pretty typical of undercover vans in movies/tv.

#5 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the great review, Brickster.  :thumbup:

Honestly, this is how 4 wide vehicles should be done. I've never been a fan of the tiny go-cart style vehicles in many old town kits, but that doesn't mean I don't like four wide at all. On the contrary - sets like this one show that you can stay in the 4-wide scale and still achieve a smooth and fairly realisticially scaled design. Add two great looking vehicles to two nice figures and some good acessories, and you have a 5 from me!  :wink:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Darth_Legois

Darth_Legois

• Bagel Heretic

Member: 1496

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

Im still kicking myself for not geting this! I remember seeing this on the shelf and not geting it! :hmpf_bad:  :sad:

I miss that old police torso, Its more realistic then the new ones... :hmpf_bad:

Anyway I gave it a above average, Nice review too :classic:

#7 SheepEater

SheepEater

Member: 28524

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hi!

I'm not one for "necromancing" old threads needlessly, but this is one of the VERY FEW town sets for which I was able to recreate one of the alternate models from a single photo from the back of the box - the plane with control center. Hopefully my photos will help people recreate it, including myself - I never bothered to recreate it in LDD or any virtual lego software!

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=390256

#8 PsyKater

PsyKater

• I am Adriano. Please be nice.

Member: 30022

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostSection8, on 28 December 2008 - 06:30 PM, said:

Above average for the World City line, which makes it average compared to the rest of the Town line.  The van is a good feature, but the chunky tires make it look odd.  It would have been neat if the van was made to look like a flower or delivery van, pretty typical of undercover vans in movies/tv.
100% agree to this statement!

Edith has just noticed how old this thread was...  :blush:

Edited by PsyKater, 14 August 2012 - 02:17 PM.

- PsyKater [psyː'kɑtɐ]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Stigveladi Kötturin, the Ghost Buster

in Sandy's Heroica! The RPG!

247 years old Dwarven Mage

[stats] | [story] | [intro] | [currently on the Fields of Glory]

Timezone: CEST (UTC/GMT+2)

Retak Yps, Nephilim Necromancer

in Sandy's Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis

2013 years old male Fenerian Necromancer

Posted Image

We opened a new BrickLink Store for you: steinreich24.com - From fans for fans! Learn more about our idea in the Bazaar!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users