I've just completed this model and I can say that it is a work of art both aesthetically and technically. I own every Technic set made, and I think this beats all of them. The sheer number of technical functions packed within it is amazing. It uses parts which span decades going back to original bushes, axles, and beams, and all the way to the present with liftarms. I think every kind of gear ever made by Lego is represented here (not counting Samsonite). There are the old 8, 16, 24 and 40 tooth spurs. The 24 tooth crown. The old 14 tooth bevels and the newer 12 tooth bevels. Both the old and new differentials (but not the brand new one). Worm gears and rack gears. The newer 12 and 20 tooth double bevel gears. The 24 tooth clutch gear and the 16 tooth transmission gear. It even has the obscure 20 tooth bevel gear! In all I count 125 gears in this model which is many more than you find in any release from Lego. It also has both generations of 9V motor, fiber optics, and a 12 cylinder engine. Honestly, I can't imagine how you could pack any more into it. It weighs a ton.
CP5670, if this was your first MOC then you are a talented individual indeed. Thanks for sharing. My kids love this thing! They are eager to put an eye out as soon as possible.
Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying your copy.
I tried to include everything I could think of that would be reasonable for a vehicle of this size.
You can actually see the entire pile of gears in the last picture. (although it was taken during the upgrade and has many parts that are no longer used, like the blue stuff)
Your render is awesome and the background fits it very well. It just became my new desktop background, in fact.
It might also be interesting to try adding in some sort of bloom or lens flare effect around the transparent parts, maybe just on the 2D image itself.
# Added missing worm gear axle right next to rear motor to drive the clutch gear for the translating launcher. (I have no way of knowing if this is the way you did it, but this function doesn't work without it.)
# Moved 40 tooth gears for launcher lift back one hole (needed to engage mating pinions)
# Changed length of 4 axles which are used as pushrods to lift the launcher from 4 to 3. Launcher would not completely lower with length 4, and length 3 is what seems to be in your photos.
Yes, all of those changes are how it should be. I guess I messed up a few things in the ldraw file.
Changed wheels from white to gray to better match the vehicle.
I was also thinking that would look better. I used white ones since I don't have any of the earlier sets with the gray kind.
Some (non-Technic) sets in the last few years have also come with them in black, and I have been seeing them on Bricklink lately. They might work even better.
One thing still missing in the model is the electrical wiring. It took me a fair bit of time to decipher it, and I think I did some things differently than you. For example, I don't run the fiber optic wire all the way up to the front. I just put it on top of the rear motor which means the lights are on whenever the rear motor is running. If I had thought of it earlier, I might have been able to snake it through the inside of the platform.
That should work too. I did it the existing way mainly because I happened to have a longer wire available.
The wiring is generally similar to what is done on the 8480 Space Shuttle. The ldraw file contains comments next to some pieces that give additional information about them. I numbered the wire ends that way and roughly described how long the wire is (among the five or six standard lengths of 9V wires).
Note that the platform is fairly easy to remove by disconnecting two of these
from their pins, if you need to adjust anything under it. I did this many times while I was building it.
Edited by CP5670, 19 December 2008 - 10:46 PM.