This is the latest addition to the Achilles; string ratlines. I've never been satisfied with the Lego ratlines (they don't look very real and you can't move the yardarms).
The rigging took a while. The vertical strings on each mast are continuous. I used black technic plates (with the holes) along the channels. I'd tie a knot in one end then thread the string up through each top and over the mast to the other side. I then threaded the string through a hole and then over to the next one. Then back up the mast and so on. All the while threading those little black technic things on. I left lots of slack in the lines after I'd finished threading. Then I'd tie a piece around the mast at each yardarm.
I used a thinner string for the horizontal parts of the ratlines (see brickshelf for photos). The thin string burns really well too, so if or when you melt the ends like I did be ready to blow it out! I found out the hard way. I also added a fore stay, and also a few changes to the quarter galleries and catheads.
Another addition you might notice is the "ocean" that the ship is sailing through. I made it out of salt dough on a cardboard base. Strips of cardboard were glued under the thicker areas like the waves to save on salt dough. I taped up the bottom of the ship so it wouldn't stick and used it as a mold (the ship lifts right off, it's not stuck). The whole thing took a month or 2 to dry completely, but i bet if you did it a little at a time it would dry faster. I topped it off with a blue/green acrylic paint.
Let me know what you think.
Edited by SlyOwl, 21 September 2009 - 05:18 PM.