- the bow is too empty, desperately needs a decent forecastle - a Caribbean Clipper-style build-up with a single hatch in the middle would suffice - those sailors have to sleep SOMEWHERE...
- where's the anchor?
- I'm not too happy about the sails - as many have stated before, the Jolly Roger looks childish, plus they're printed only on one side - which is especially annoying with the front sail - the ship looks worse if you look at it from its starboard side.
- the chain holding the front sail - a rope would be better, fortunately this can be easily arranged
- the sterncastle makes up for most of the flaws, I absolutely love its design and the way you can access it or remove it. The only minor flaw is the cannon, it doesn't really fit in there, but you can always remove it so it's not a big deal. Actually if I were to choose the best-looking sterncastle of all the Pirate-themed ships, that would be this one.
- the room below the sterncastle, with the rat and grog - it's great you can access it for better playability. That's what bothered me with later ships of the first Pirate era - they were all open, didn't have any accessible rooms, doors, hatches etc.
- minifigs - great looking, and I always wanted to have a mermaid The crew of the ship itself is a bit too small but we get two soldiers instead for better diversity so I'm not complaining.
- the middle part of the ship - cannons, the short ladders leading to the captain's cabin, the arched entrances to the aforementioned "rat room" - I'd say that's more than enough cool details
- it's a great part-pack, with many not-so-common pieces in interesting colours
- the overall look of the ship - she's a real beauty, if you don't look too closely at the sails that is
Overall it's a nice vessel, not as good as BSB or SES but pretty close. It's at least two times better than the RBR which was a HUGE disappointment.
I'm thinking of modifying mine a bit - adding an anchor, forecastle, some details inside the captain's quarters (not the outside which is perfect for my taste). I think I'll change the sails for white customs, remove the pirate flags and turn it into a merchant or maybe Imperial vessel. But I'm definitely not dismantling her completely - there's way too many cool features.
I'd finally like to add that it was an almost magical experiance for me - I mean, bulding a NEW Pirate ship, which is not a MOC but an actual SET, after so many years of complete void (forget the 4+ and Duplo stuff). Actually I celebrated every step of the instruction, didn't want to rush through it, I wanted it to be a memorable moment. I had about two and a half hours to build it before I had to leave, and I didn't complete it during the time given - I had to finish it in the evening when I was back home...
Edited by Dreamweb, 18 February 2009 - 09:46 AM.