TLC sets VS MOC's

8 replies to this topic

Poll: TLC sets VS MOC's (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Would your opinion on a TLC set be different if it was a MOC? (read below before voting)

1. Yes (10 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

2. No (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Who it comes from doesn't matter to me, we're all Lego builders! (13 votes [48.15%])

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dark Sword Ragnarok

Dark Sword Ragnarok

Member: 2225

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:11 AM

MODS/ADMINS: If this does not belong here, please PM me/lock/move the topic. Thanks!

I've been thinking about a lot of opinions on the new SW sets and even the '08 sets. I was wondering why everyone is so harsh on TLC sets. Is it because we expect too much?

Everyone bagged on the Twilight (clunkadunk) before it came out. I've seen first hand the design and creativity of the thing. Everyone is so critical on TLC's stuff, but I've noticed that we are much less harsh on MOC's.

What I want to know is, if it were a MOC and not a TLC set, would your opinion be different? (By this I mean any SW set) I'm curious as to what people's opinions are.

DSR

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you..."-Muse, "Knights of Cydonia"

My Flickr Account
My Latest MOC's:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Pickerel

Pickerel

Member: 3618

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:21 AM

Well, it really depends on the builder. TLC sets are payed to look good and are made by a professional. A MOC however, is made by someone who may not have a lot experience and is not being payed to make it, so I'd be lighter on the criticism.
:classic:
Martinus, Azufre's best baker

#3 darkrebellion

darkrebellion

Member: 2482

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:13 AM

To be honest, it depends all of the builder  :thumbup: . The sets created by the TLC are in my opinion fantastic and I think they are not that easy to design (Cause I tried to build some ships and they donīt finish so well  :tongue: ) but if someone is a good MOCer than I think it will be better than the ones by the TLC. We also need to count that the TLC have a limited price point so they canīt include a lot of detail with greebling or applicate SNOT techniques  :classic: .

Edited by darkrebellion, 18 November 2008 - 03:14 AM.

#4 pr0visorak

pr0visorak

• Silvery Provo

Member: 3570

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:57 AM

I chose the third option, but the TLC sets provide us with bricks neccesary and gives us the different techniques oh how to build it. from those techniques, we can improve and make our own MOC. From those mocs, The Lego company knows where to improve and what everyone likes. So it is mostly give and take :classic:
2nd Singaporean in Eurobricks and first few to enter the Singapore F1 Night Race on the 1st day!

Today is the Star wars Clone wars Ryloth the trilogy!
Posted Image

#5 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

I think thisÂīre two pretty different things. A creation by TLC is first and foremost a product... a result of a long
developing process with many aspects... A MOCÂīs much more a personal expression with different
limitations and therefor not really well comparable to an official LEGO set when it comes to criticism.

#6 KinGanon

KinGanon

Member: 3952

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

Well LEGO makes a living making the stuff, so yeah I beleive they should do good job

But a MOCer on the other hand uses it like a hobby, and probably has a fraction of the resources LEGO has.

#7 Dark Brickz

Dark Brickz

Member: 3995

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:31 AM

to me it doesnt matter for as long as your having fun building it. i wouldnt care what people think of my creations.
Without light there is no "Darkness"

#8 JimBee

JimBee

• Bubbler

Member: 2436

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

No, not really. IF a MOC is good enough to be a Lego set, it's good enough for me. If an official Lego set fails in my book, it fails. End of story. It doesn't really matter who made it, what matters (not to sound harsh), what matters (to me) is that it's good enough to buy, and (TLG) that they make good profits off of the set. :classic:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 53-year-old male imp Chi Monk in the Heroica RPG

Currently playing Jerry Bergeron in Red Menace Mafia
Stats | Bio

#9 Legoking

Legoking

• Classic-Pirates' cabin boy

Member: 3200

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:48 AM

I think there is a difference between TLC builders and MOC'ers. I do think a lot of people expect too much from the Lego Company. For example, if I worked for the Lego Company and made a new version of Jango Fett, everyone would criticize on how bad of a job TLC did on it. But if I made it as a MOC'er, people would look at it differently and not be as harsh and cruel. But everyone has different opinions on this.
My MOC page
My Brickshelf
My Brickset   
My Current Trades

Credit of my wonderful drawn avatar goes to Hound Knight. Posted Image
I am the Lego King of the World!

Support the Pirates forum, buy your LEGO here!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users