Moose

Shipwreck hideout

This is a review of #6253 Shipwreck hideout. Its my first review, so I hope its decent

Set Name: Shipwreck Hideout

Set Number: 6253

Theme: Pirates

Pieces: 310

Minifigs: 6 (if you countthe skeleton)

Release: 2009 (officially)

Price: $39.99 U.S.

front of the box

pirate1.jpg

back of the box

pirate2.jpg

the contents of the box

pirate3.jpg

the instruction manual

pirate4.jpg

the new colored bridge

pirate5.jpg

a random instruction page

pirate6.jpg

the new blue boat!

pirate7.jpg

the soldiers (a little blurry)

pirate8.jpg

the soldiers (gorgeous new soldiers!)

pirate9.jpg

the great new pirates with FEMALE

pirate10.jpg

some special pieces, gold chest, white oar, new fish

pirate11.jpg

comic in the middle of instructions

pirate12.jpg

the inside of the cabin. theres a trapdoor under the table

pirate13.jpg

comic at the end of the instructions

pirate14.jpg

a pic demonstratng the trap door and skulls

pirate15.jpg

a picture showing 2 more traps. all of the traps are shown with the female pirate. she must really be evil!

pirate16.jpg

rest of the sets

pirate17.jpg

pirate18.jpg

the set in its individual construction sections

pirate19.jpg

assembled

pirate20.jpg

pirate21.jpg

the left overs with 2 epaulettes!

pirate22.jpg

final pic

pirate23.jpg

*Price: 9.5/10. it was a little expensive ($39.99 for 310 pieces) but not too much. for a new pirate set ill pay it

*Figs: 10/10. the captain is great. the soldiers are amazing. oh yeah, theres a female pirate! i believe she has the torso from the medieval village set, and the hair from the agent girl. these figs are awesome.

*Pieces: 10/10. i love the new pieces and new colors(fish, bridge, chest, boat, shooting cannon!). the only downside is the crappy mast. the new skull and crossbones isnt too bad actually

*Build: 8/10. Nothing to special. It wasn't very difficult, even with taking pictures it took about only 30 minutes. Building it was pretty fun though.

*Playability: 10/10. 2 soldiers vs. 3 pirates creates a number of different scenarios for raids and attacks and the like

*Overall: 47.5/50 = 95. Id recommend this set to any pirate fan. at first it may seem a little <insert that tiresome argument>, but ull realize its pretty cool. the concept is great, a ship crashed into rocks, and ites executed well. The set feels a little different from old pirates, not completely different, just like its a new age of pirates and thats what it is!

post-3507-1226793584.jpg

Edited by Moose

I bought shipwreck hideout today and took pics. ill put them up after dinner

How can you eat knowing that the WHOLE WORLD is waiting for your pictures? :pir_bawling:

You must be some kind of heartless pirate to taunt us like this.

I've already stayed up late and should be sleeping right now. :pir_bawling:

Just upload them on an image host as www.imageshack.us for example, and then post the right links here. Could you also post them a bit bigger, if it is possible? Thank you. :pir-classic:

edit: If you want to show them per brickshelf, you have to deeplink them because your folder is not yet public.

Edited by metalandi

i put them on brickshelf but the folder is not public yet. if imageshack makes them readily available ill do that too

no clue what deep link means. i hope my pics are worth all this trouble :pir-tongue:

it took for ever but we should be good. let me know how they turn out and if theres any other pics i should take. ill try to make them bigger but ive had enough with them for one night

Thank you for the review! This set is definitely a must buy, dark brown logs and a girl pirate? I'm in heaven :pir-wub:

Thanks, the pictures are not too bad, i wanted to see the interior and details and those i saw, and i love them :pir-wub: I definitely have to grab one of these when they come out over here. For now, the soldier fort has to make it for me at christmas :pir-tongue:

The pics had better quality, but metalandi requested that they be bigger so i enlarged them a little so they kinda got grainy. I could always resize them again for better quality but smaller pictures if thats the general consensus. Once I get my own camera I plan on joining the Academy so I can make great reviews for everyone.

thanks for the pictures ^^ I really love this set ! you're so lucky to have it!

Thanks for the review, Moose. :pir-sweet:

An interesting and charming set with great MFs and pretty cool parts.

The trap feature´s nice and funny, and these golden window parts´re real eye catchers... :pir-wub:

Nice Review, thanks! :thumbup: In fact, it's so good that it makes me think over my plans of only buying multiple impulse sets and consider just getting this set instead. It comes with all the minifigs you could ask for, and a whole buch of useful parts! And $40 seems quite alright for such a set. I always wanted one of those bridge pieces, and you just gotta love that Pirate chick! :pir-wub:

Just one question, though. Do I see right that there is only one of the new telescope pieces in this set?

New Pirates ON! :thumbup:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Exactly what color is the rope bridge? It looks tan in some pictures, and dark tan in others, to me.

It looks a bit gold'ish to me..

Thanks for this review! It's a fantastic set, and I almost like every aspect of it. However, they should have included a 16x32 blue baseplate, it really needs one.

to answer some questions, yes there is only one telescope in the set. and i have no idea how to properly classify the new color of the bridge. it seems tan and gold and sorta greyish almost all at once. i think its supposed to be closer to tanish to show that its made of dried out faded vines

I updated the review and adjusted the pics, so hopefully they should be a little more clear

You know, this set could be useful in a town layout as well! As one of those big adventure playgrounds! :pir-grin:

That's what this set reminds me of. Sigh... Good ol' childhood...

Could an admin or someone add "REVIEW" to my title so that people know its an actual review? Thanks!