REVIEW: 7045 Hovercraft Hideout

16 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

2. 2 - Below Average (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. 3 - Average (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 4 - Above Average (11 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

5. 5 - Outstanding (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

Posted Image

Hovercraft Hideout

Set #: 7045
Theme: World City - Police & Rescue
Year Released: 2004
Piece Count: 268
Minifigs: 2
List Price: $30 (USD)

Resting in the quiet area of the harbor on the other side of the tracks, is a small hideout known as Dock 13, but unknown to World City police.  There, lots of crooked deals go down as stolen items are bartered in exchange for stolen loot and other World City treasures.  One of the more popular crooks in World City, a man they call Captain Nemo, has made this place his hideout with his slow dim-witted thug, Bennie.  They've managed to steal a police hovercraft that they've repainted with custom detailing.  What's next on their agenda to steal?  Gems, Money, Lego?  You decide, in this review of 7045 Hovercraft Hideout.

7045 Hovercraft Hideout is one of my most favorite sets of the World City Collection (not including the train sets).  It includes a Hovercraft, Hideout, Jet Ski, and two Minifigs.

Action packed boxart starts the review:

Posted Image Front of Box

Posted Image Back of Box

Some images of the instructions:

Posted Image Front

Posted Image Alternate Models

A neat feature of these instructions is a collection of images of other World City sets with artwork that looks like a newspaper:

Posted Image

The set includes just a few decals:

Posted Image

I love the minifigs.  I think the Captain looks like James Mason's character of Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

Posted Image

Three gems and two $100 bills are included as accessories:

Posted Image

Here's a shot of the jet ski:

Posted Image

And the hovercraft:

Posted Image

The front section has a smoked grey windshield piece that lifts open:

Posted Image

Where Captain Nemo pilots the vessel:

Posted Image

Side view:

Posted Image

Both sides have a small box to hide stolen money and gems:

Posted Image

Here's a shot of the back:

Posted Image

The neat feature of the hovercraft is that the jet ski can be placed in the middle section.  This causes the rubberband to tighten.  When the grey piece is pushed, the jet ski pops out of the rear section:

Posted Image

The two engines are connected by a single black rod.  Moving one causes the other to move:

Posted Image

Here's the bottom section.  It has three wheels with the front wheel being able to turn 360 degress.  This makes pushing it fun:

Posted Image

My favorite part of this set is the hideout:

Posted Image

Check out the front side.  The train door slides to the right.  The little rat and fuel tank adds some nice detail to the set:

Posted Image

But the neat part is placing the jet ski inside:

Posted Image

Just like the hovercraft, pushing it in causes the rubberband to stretch, and the chimney piece lifts up.  Pushing the chimney causes the jet ski to fly out!

Posted Image

Here's  ashot of the other side:

Posted Image

And lastly, the complete set:

Posted Image

Final Thoughts:

Hovercraft Hideout was one of those sets that could easily be found on sale after the stores could not sell them for full price. I think I picked mine up for either $15 or $20 (USD).  I've used this little hideout in a number of cities and it always makes a great place to hide the stolen loot.  Here's a shot of it as part of the set for Mystery Ship:

Posted Image

I also like to combine this set with 4856 Doc Ock's Hideout as part of pier or harbor scenes.  I love the two figs, esp. Captain Nemo.  Overall, the set is packed with lots of fun and the hideout makes a great addition to any city or town.

I hope you've enjoyed this review.  Comments welcome.

#2 Skinny Boy

Skinny Boy

Member: 650

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

Ahhh. One of my all time favourite sets. Loads of useful pieces and two great figs. Thanks for the review Brickster :thumbup:
======================================

Posted Image

FlickR

#3 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

Excellent review.  :thumbup:

I bought this set in '06, I think, and haven't regretted it. I personally think it's one of the better sets, when I factor in play, design, combinations (with other themes) etc. The two crooks in this set are also unique to this set as well, breaking up the fairly common gold-toothed prison-garb figure.

I'm also crossing my fingers that we'll see something similarily themed for '10 - I suggested sets of this type when the City-team asked for suggestions.

#4 Pencoin

Pencoin

Member: 2415

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

They don't make 'em like they used to... Better then nearly every set this year.
Posted Image
Look into those beautiful eyes, the eyes of a hero. Mata-Nui.

Stop and Smell the Vorox
You need help to defeat the bone hunters in My LEGO Network? Then please consult my guide! For Bara Magna!
Befriend me here: http://mln.lego.com/...ew/pencoin.aspx You'll get clicks!

Daven Mission Force
.....Coming soon.....
Sneak peak: Here
Click This! Listen to it all the way through.

#5 Guss

Guss

• One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

it was released during my dark age, and now I regret my dark age^^ it seems that it was a really good set, and you did a great review of it !  :thumbup:
Posted Image

#6 Pencoin

Pencoin

Member: 2415

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

View PostGuss, on Nov 11 2008, 07:01 PM, said:

it was released during my dark age, and now I regret my dark age^^ it seems that it was a really good set, and you did a great review of it !  :thumbup:

All of World City was good, you should check them out on bricklink there much more worth it then the currect city sets.
Posted Image
Look into those beautiful eyes, the eyes of a hero. Mata-Nui.

Stop and Smell the Vorox
You need help to defeat the bone hunters in My LEGO Network? Then please consult my guide! For Bara Magna!
Befriend me here: http://mln.lego.com/...ew/pencoin.aspx You'll get clicks!

Daven Mission Force
.....Coming soon.....
Sneak peak: Here
Click This! Listen to it all the way through.

#7 Mariko

Mariko

Member: 3661

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

Wow. I always thought this set looked rather ridiculous . . . you have shown me the light!

#8 Joebot

Joebot

• Mayor of Fluxington

Member: 1014

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

I think this set has two things going for it:

1) The little building is very cool, and looks great with the sliding door.

2) The sheer novelty of a set devoted to shady characters doing suspicious things. Are they thieves? Smuggers? Something bad, no doubt. Since TLC overwhelms us with endless police set after police set, it's really nice to see the bad guys get a set. Those policemen need someone to chase, after all.

Unfortunately, the hovercraft is pretty absurd. A hovercraft?!?!? Really?!?! Why not a sleek black speedboat?

#9 Skinny Boy

Skinny Boy

Member: 650

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

View PostJoebot, on Nov 11 2008, 07:57 PM, said:

2) The sheer novelty of a set devoted to shady characters doing suspicious things. Are they thieves? Smuggers? Something bad, no doubt. Since TLC overwhelms us with endless police set after police set, it's really nice to see the bad guys get a set. Those policemen need someone to chase, after all.

I also think people who brag about their eco-friendly cars are bad :tongue: . I agree though, the set gets as close as it can to a crime theme, but draws itself a bit away with the hovercraft. Almost like they're baddies in an agents set or something.
======================================

Posted Image

FlickR

#10 Legoman31

Legoman31

Member: 3501

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

This is a good set especially for pieces.

View PostTheBrickster, on Nov 11 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

Posted Image
I think you switched the legs around.

#11 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

View PostLegoman31, on Nov 11 2008, 12:25 PM, said:

I think you switched the legs around.
You're absolutely correct.  Seems I switched the legs. :blush:  Sorry 'bout that.

#12 Lord Santos

Lord Santos

Member: 3003

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

I bought that set 4 years ago, and rebuilt it some weeks ago, but it has something very strange:
- 1 day after I rebuilt it it was filled with dust while permanent exhibits of mine were clean :wacko:

As for the set:

The first Hovercraft Lego has done with a nice design that was sort of reused withe fire-hovercraft.
All rise against Continente's boss Belmiro de Azevedo, richest guy in Portugal, for only having abrick and megablocks in the toy section, YOU MAKE ME SICK!!!It's thanks to him that we don't have star wars, agents, castle, belville and only having 2nd semester sets in they haven't arrived yet as of 24/01/2009!!!Lord Santos in all that above except on TRU

Sig edited by Hinckley: Please read the site guidelines. Pics in sigs may not be taller than 300 pixels. Please reduce this pic. Thank you.My city Skyline- How to combine 1998 town sets with the 2008 sets.

#13 just2good

just2good

• Bothan Spy #8

Member: 4916

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

Great review!
I like this set because it comes with 2 exclusive faces, sea related ships (love boats!!! :cry_happy: ) and a cool shack. I don't know why it didn't sell well. :sadnew:

#14 Tyleraf

Tyleraf

Member: 6290

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

Its a pretty nice set.  I wish I would have bought it.

#15 AFOL12v

AFOL12v

Member: 921

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

I voted poor. The review is great :thumbup: . But the set itself........... It's too simple build and not very exciting in my opnion. Thiefs rather use very fast boats and not a turtle going hovercraft.

#16 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

I liked the little building much, with the old window and railsdoor(don't know the good word for it).
The figs are also nice. The head of the captain is great and I find it strange I never has seen this face in an other set. (the grumpy policeman from world city is used in many sets and still available).
The hovercraft looks not that bad, but it had something which made the sets of town/city earlier not good: Big pieces, with not much use for something else.
Duke of Equestria

#17 The Green Brick Giant

The Green Brick Giant

Member: 5270

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

I have almost all the none train World City sets, if not all of them besides this set, I loved them, however this one just is blah.

I do like the minifigures through, the faces are neat and different and I like the design of the shirt on the set.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users