#1 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Long Ranger Constraction

Member: 486

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:35 AM

Posted Image B-OM-5C

Modular Art Deco Movie Theater

Posted Image

Art Deco Movie Theater: In continuing my Town in Progress project, I bring you my latest modular creation. This is an update and modification of the movie theater from the 10184 Town Plan. Enjoy and look for more pics of the roof and projector room soon. This is the most detailed interior I've built so far, but in the interest in producing some work, I left the second floor unfinished so I could show it. It's been a while since I've built something and I've been working on this on and off for some time. Enjoy!

Art Deco Movie Theater menu on BrickZone

More detail shots: (click on any pic for the menu...)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Enjoy and please feel free to leave feedback. Thanks! :sweet:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 furious

furious

Member: 3903

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:52 AM

very cool.

On a side note. I would love to see a building with some graffiti on the side wall. Just like in real life. I don't know why.

#3 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:03 AM

Hinckley, best ever modular mocs ever! It's just so amazing and I am very speechless. I love the entire building design and the color scheme is awesome. The corridor inside the theater with its red carpet is similar to the ones in my countries. Of course, the building design is not grand as yours. This is exactly what a grand theater should look like. I am sure with Cafe Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, and your very own Art Deco Movie Theater. It just looks amazing. Perhaps, you could name the street after you.  :tongue:

Oh, did anyone tell you that someone featured this moc in Classic-Town.net?  :look: :blush:

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#4 iamded

iamded

• Cannot neigh to save his life.

Member: 1225

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

Holy smokes, that's awesome! The SNOT, the detail, the wicked techniques. I love it! Superb job, Hinckley. :thumbup: One thing I'm not sure about though is the sand green. Not sure of a replacement though...
~Peace

Edited by iamded, 18 December 2008 - 10:34 AM.

Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the best fun.

#5 wulf

wulf

Member: 2361

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:13 AM

Finally a place to watch the whacker and the walrus :laugh: ! You should work for the lego company! I like how you used those fish, are those white helmets for lights and also is there a second story ?

Edited by wulf, 07 November 2008 - 04:15 AM.

~Wulf's brickshelf~ ~sincerely Wulf the saxon~      see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:

Click on link to see and comment now!lego space comic And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

#6 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo

• god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

Hink, this is bloody fantastic!  :thumbup:  I can't tell you how impressed I am. This is great. One of my favourite parts is how you used those huge windows without making it look really juniorised and basic. Great work!

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#7 spade450

spade450

Member: 4298

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

Calling this a "modification" of the theater from 10184 is a bit of an understatement!  WOW - great work!

Edited by spade450, 07 November 2008 - 08:48 AM.

". . . but when I became a man, I put away childish things." - 1 Corinthians 13:11

"Everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance." - Kurt Vonnegut

#8 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

I agree with spade450, modification is an understatement. I'd call this a MOC. It's very, very cool, though.

But, I can't help but think that it looks more gothic with art-deco inspiration that art-deco. I thought art-deco was more simplistic?

#9 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

Wow. This is just plain stunning. Any chance of a photo alongside another modular set?

View PostFreddie, on Nov 7 2008, 07:02 PM, said:

But, I can't help but think that it looks more gothic with art-deco inspiration that art-deco. I thought art-deco was more simplistic?
Yes, I agree.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#10 Serengeti

Serengeti

Member: 1040

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

This is very impressive. Some very good creative uses of parts. The gothic feel reminds me of Gotham city.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MinifigTimes.com    Leaving no brick unturned in the search for scandals

#11 Big Supie

Big Supie

Member: 2861

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

WOW. What a great Moc. It´s amazing.  The detailed interior is awesome. :thumbup:

#12 BlueBard

BlueBard

Member: 2796

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

Impressive work!  :sweet:

I really like that art-deco style so well designed (the main wall has some great details!  :wink:), and the interior is also well detailed. I've to say Bravo!  :thumbup:

#13 Legoman31

Legoman31

Member: 3501

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Wow, very nice! I would love to see pics of this next to Cafe Corner and Green Grocer.

#14 Guss

Guss

• One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

just look like a cinema I used to go in Marseille 10 years ago ^^ that's a wonderful  creation, I just love every details in it , even if the floor is a little too much " art deco " at some places XD that's really a cool amazing creation !
Posted Image

#15 brickzone

brickzone

• No Relation

Member: 2481

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

My word that is an astounding creation - it looks amazing. Very reminiscent of Art Deco buildings I've seen/visited.

The amount of detail is great. I particularly like the Rebel helmets with trans light blue visors as old-style uplighters.

#16 Buttons

Buttons

Member: 4104

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

Very very similar, apart from the colours to a 1958 box lid graphic of a cinema I once came across. Keep up the good work :thumbup:
Now that you've found it, it's gone
Now that you feel it, you don't
You've gone off the rails

#17 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:40 AM

Wow!  This is really impressive Hinck.  I don't think I could ever build something like this.  It definately takes a really good and unique builder to create the details that you have captured in this superb creation, esp those in the the upper section and interior of the cinema.  I really like the colors of the first floor that look a lot like Lego's official Town Plan combined with different colors used above.  The detail is incredible.  I esp. like the all well-known concession stand complete with popcorn bricks and soda machine - very nice!  Makes me hungry for some popcorn and a good Western.

The entire MOC is excellent; and as always, an outstanding creation.  Great job! :thumbup:

#18 Jones

Jones

Member: 2322

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:44 AM

I opened this thread and my jaw hit the floor!  What a creation!  I'm very VERY impressed.  It looks simply beautiful.  Well done!!

#19 Badsneaker

Badsneaker

Member: 3096

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

This is a really great piece of work. I've never seen these techniques used in such abundance. It takes a while to see all the detail!

How long did it take? Did you have all the ideas in your head or did you build as you go, trying new pieces here and there, etc?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 benny

benny

Member: 4111

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:08 AM

View PostBadsneaker, on Nov 8 2008, 10:48 AM, said:

This is a really great piece of work. I've never seen these techniques used in such abundance. It takes a while to see all the detail!

How long did it take? Did you have all the ideas in your head or did you build as you go, trying new pieces here and there, etc?

very nice outlook, it is much beter than town plan one but the fish at the front is not matched to the cinema!

#21 Dragonator

Dragonator

• Blurry? No! Furry? Who knows?

Member: 2052

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:50 AM

Very impressive Hinck, well done. The detail on the interior is really nice, I like what you did with the floors, and the main cinema is very cool. As for the exterior, well, what is there to say? It's awesome. It reminds me a lot of a cinema I saw in Melbourne whilst I was away, I can't remember what it was called, but it had this sort of style to it. It has a very grand, looming sort of quality, I like it! The inclusion of pieces from the Town Plan set is very nicely done and add to this MOC in a positive way. I also like your creative use of parts, such as the use of SW rebel helmets. The top half is very clever with some nice use of sand green to highlight the greys. The topography is very well thought out too.

My one criticism is that the second floor looks a little empty. :tongue:

Keep building mate, I'm looking forward to seeing your newly refurbished town complete! I only wonder what devilishly evil things the people of Moonlight will get up to in that cinema during the Baritones 2. :devil:

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

Feel like relaxing with a blood-thirsty game? Check out the LEGO Mafia, RPG and Wargames forum

#22 dj2005

dj2005

• Academy teacher and dumb knight

Member: 3835

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:11 AM

This really took me by surprise last night and left me mumbling "wow." Absolutely stunning, Hinckley.

Edited by dj2005, 08 November 2008 - 06:12 AM.

#23 Zepher

Zepher

• Green!

Member: 3241

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

Incredible build.  I basically echo everything that Draggy said.  The outside is stunning, and inside is wondeful, the details are everywhere.  The whole thing is truthfully wondeful.  It looks gothic, but I like that.  The upper part look like part of an olden church, prehaps.

http://brickzone.net...heater/008.html

That looks like the front of a truch drove through and got stuck there, but it may just be me.  :tongue:

Overall super fantastic job!

Lord Lawrence Boomingham

&

Lil' Zepher In Mafia School

#24 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

Terriffic! :thumbup:
I like this style so much.
Duke of Equestria

#25 VBBN