Review: 6039 Twin-Arm Launcher

13 replies to this topic

Poll: 6039 Twin-Arm Launcher Poll (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Above Average (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

5. Superb (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dj2005

dj2005

• Academy teacher and dumb knight

Member: 3835

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

Posted Image
Title of Set: 6039 Twin-Arm Launcher
Theme: Castle/Lion Knights
Year Released: 1988
Pieces Count: 73
Minifigures: 2
Original Price: $8.50 (USD), Unknown (EUR), Unknown (GBP)
Further Information: Brickset, Lugnet, Peeron, Photobucket Album

Set 6039 Twin-Arm Launcher is one of the earliest forms of catapults within the Castle theme. Armed with two side-by-side trench buckets and manned by two Lion Knights, this catapult is ready for action.

Instruction Pamphlet:
Posted Image

Posted Image
The instructions utilize a foldout system much like what is found in many smaller LEGO sets. All 15 steps are displayed in surprisingly large, clear pictures making this a very simple build. The front of the pamphlet accurately portraits what the set will look like once built.

Parts:

Posted Image
With only a 73 piece count and only two minifigs, this set does not offer a whole lot. Still, some nice pieces are in there.

Minifigs:
Posted Image
Two ordinary Lion Knights are included in this set, along with a white horse.

Accessories:
Posted Image
Here is where this set shines its brightest. Two regular gray guard helms are included, along with various weapons. The sword is not made from the flimsy plastic that recent Castle sets use, but of strong ABS plastic that takes a good amount of force to bend. Arguably the best items of this set are the barding and two round shields. More detail on both of these in the following section.

Unique Pieces:
Posted Image
The barding has a red base coat with yellow details prominently displaying two lions on each side. The round shields do not have a U-clip, but instead, a single bar grip. Both the barding and round shields are quite rare and were featured in only a few vintage sets.

Partially Built:
Posted Image
Many of the steps are for building up the bulk of the catapult.

Set without minifigs:
Front:
Posted Image

Side:
Posted Image

Back:
Posted Image
The catapult is almost all black in color. The arms of each launcher have a finger design that allows manual movement at each end: the handle and the trench bucket. Yellow barrels are used as ammo. The front of the catapult holds a brown barrel container and two brown spears. The back has plenty of room for the four yellow barrels, as well as the two flags. There are two wheels on each side and two red barrels that, I assume, are to emulate torches. Lastly, the two black antennas are there to keep the launching arms from going all the way down. The 2x2 red tiles that exist on each side also help with this.

Completed set with minifigs:
Posted Image
As displayed before but with the two included Lion Knights and white horse.

Reviewer's Score:

Playability: 6.5/10 - Alone, this set does not offer a whole lot as a catapult is made for destroying the opposition. Still, some fun can be had with shooting yellow barrels around the room.

Design: 8.5/10 - The catapult doesn't flip/tip when launching and the structure is very stable as a whole. The four brown wheels make it easy to push around while not making it look childish. The catapult is able to fling the barrels very nicely - not too far and not too close. The uses of red and yellow accents are great and there is no doubt that the Lion Knights have built this siege weapon.

Price: 5/10 - The weakest area of the set. At the MSRP, it is too pricey for only two minifigs and 73 pieces when compared to other sets released during this era.

Total: 20/30 - A mediocre set. The lack of an extra minifig and/or more accessories really hurt this set. Not all is bad, though. The design is nicely thought out, and the unique accessories are great pieces to have in one's LEGO collection.

#2 KimT

KimT

• Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith

Member: 101

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

One of my favourite castle sets.
I've got 3 of them and I love them.
This is the numero uno catapult to own.
Indexed.
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words

Posted Image

#3 Dadster

Dadster

Member: 2375

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

I always thought those round shields were cool.  And they also came in the trans red for spacemen!

#4 KimT

KimT

• Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith

Member: 101

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:23 PM

View PostDadster, on Oct 30 2008, 12:22 AM, said:

I always thought those round shields were cool.  And they also came in the trans red for spacemen!
And trans-clear :wub:
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words

Posted Image

#5 Nikola Bathory

Nikola Bathory

Member: 2940

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

:thumbup: This is a great set! Best catapult in my humble opinion.
and the barding is a great bonus!  :thumbup:

#6 Cardinal Brick

Cardinal Brick

• Academy Teacher

Member: 2547

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

I good set in my opinion, though I've always wondered how such a poorlooking knight, no armour or proper helm could afford such a nice barding.
Posted Image    Posted Image

#7 dj2005

dj2005

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

View PostCardinal Brick, on Oct 30 2008, 09:01 AM, said:

I good set in my opinion, though I've always wondered how such a poorlooking knight, no armour or proper helm could afford such a nice barding.

It's a rental. :tongue:

#8 MoonCheese

MoonCheese

Member: 2952

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

This might have been my first castle set ever...one of my first, anyway. I still have that horse barding.
Liek wutz a sig neway?

#9 legotrainfan

legotrainfan

Member: 2562

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for this review! Now I finally know what this set looks like if assembled. Mine is MISB. The round shields are really rare, but they also came with the catapult that preceded this one, namely the black falcon's catapult 6030, which I have as well but not MISB.  :wink:

Don't you think that the two red and round bricks, one on each side, are also ammunition? It could be burning ammunition to set fire to a castle or to medieval houses.
[...]
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 dj2005

dj2005

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

View Postlegotrainfan, on Oct 30 2008, 01:28 PM, said:

Thanks for this review! Now I finally know what this set looks like if assembled. Mine is MISB. The round shields are really rare, but they also came with the catapult that preceded this one, namely the black falcon's catapult 6030, which I have as well but not MISB.  :wink:

Don't you think that the two red and round bricks, one on each side, are also ammunition? It could be burning ammunition to set fire to a castle or to medieval houses.

Could be, but isn't the ammo suppose to be loaded then set on fire?

#11 Kliq

Kliq

Member: 2155

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

Very nice review!  This was one of the classic sets I picked up during a recent ebay/bricklink spree, and I have to say it is certainly worth the more money.  A couple classic knights, a very cool catapult on wagon wheels, and that barding all make for excellent reasons to pick this up.

#12 legotrainfan

legotrainfan

Member: 2562

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

View Postdj2005, on Oct 30 2008, 10:34 PM, said:

Could be, but isn't the ammo suppose to be loaded then set on fire?

Actually yes, but I don't have a better explanation for the use of those round red bricks. To make it really realistic, you would need something like chameleon bricks; bricks that turn from yellow to red as soon as they are loaded.  :wink:
[...]
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 Guss

Guss

• One armed pirate

Member: 3895

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

Oo I never saw those round shield before, It was a great set , I wish I had it ^^ you makes really nice reviews Dj2005 !  :thumbup:

my flickr - My website

Some look at things that are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not? (George Bernard Shaw)

#14 castlestrike666

castlestrike666

Member: 2958

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

Nice review! You've made some great pics there.

It's an outstanding set. I especially like the barding of the white horse! One of the best bardings Lego ever made!  :thumbup:  :tongue:

Castlestrike666 - BeLUG Member

My Flickr account

Cheap LEGO? www.brickgifts.eu!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users