Released: 2007

Price: EUR 9.95, GBP 6.99, USD 9.99, CDN 12.99

Pieces: 123

Minifigures: 4

Review

The Box

Front

001.jpg

The front of the box shows a nice little battle scene that can be made with the components of this set, as well as a detailed backdrop and some cool visual effects.

Back

002.jpg

The back shows another battle, how the catapult mechanism works, a close up of the two skellies, and all of the wonderful accessories included in the set.

Instructions

Front

003.jpg

This is basically the same as the front of the box. The instructions are flawless and clear.

Back

004.jpg

This shows the other three stellar sets that released alongside this one.

The Minifigures

005.jpg

These are, of course, the main selling point of this set. It comes with a white skeleton who wears a uniquely molded helmet, a black skeleton thats pretty standard , and two of the usual knights. The knights have the standard torso and helmet, but have unique facial expressions. One appears confident and calm, whilst the other one appears downright angry. This was the first castle set I ever bought, and so I spent a good deal of time just looking at them. In all seriousness, I probably would have paid the price of admission for this set just for the figs.

Minifigure accessories/weapons

006.jpg

Lego definitely did not skimp on weapons here. The treasure trove of pain-inflicting devices consists of a crossbow, a mace, one small and one large skeleton shield, three spears, two knight shields, and a short sword. :oh: Once again, I declare, This set is worth the money for the figs and weapons.

Extra Pieces

007.jpg

The extra pieces are: a technic pin, a black skeleton leg and arm, as well as a white tusk and skeleton arm. The only one here thats very useful is the tusk.

Skeleton Barricade

008.jpg

This small but well-made barricade makes a nice addition to this set. It consists of three sections of plates, joined together by some hinge pieces. Also, there are two spears, a large shield, and two tusks on the front to make it look more menacing. There is also an elevated spot for the skeleton crossbowman to discreetly pick off unsuspecting knights. The whole thing really fits in with the skeleton theme and uses few parts to great effect.

Catapult

009.jpg

The namesake of the set, this catapult is well-designed, sturdy, and looks like it would be fired by noble knights. It uses a simple mechanism to fire a rock. It works fairly well, however you have to hold down the catapult so it won't move while you are firing. The colour scheme of brown, dark blue, and pearl gold looks great and fits in with other castle sets. Two shields, one on each side, add more to the look of the machine. Probably the most interesting piece in the set is the barrel that holds the rock.

Front view

010.jpg

Not much to comment on here.

Back View

011.jpg

This shows the rock that the catapult fires, as well as the barrel that holds it.

Side View

012.jpg

This shows a shield, the pearl gold slopes, and a brown cross piece that I am not sure has a purpose in this set.

Entire Set

013.jpg

Heres an overview of the whole thing. The skeletons are attempting to ward off the knights and there large siege engine.

Aerial View

014.jpg

015.jpg

The brave knight engages the mace-wielding skeleton!

What will the knights use for ammunition when they run out of rocks?

016.jpg

Overall

Design: 10/10 There are really no problems here.

Playability: 8/10 The only problem is that you have to hold down the catapult to fire it.

Minifigures: 10/10 There simply as good as they get.

Price: 9/10 This set was totally worth the price.

Ease of Build: 10/10 There were no problems

Total: 47/50

Conclusion

This is a near perfect set that I think should be in everyones collection. The minifigures are good, the catapult is fun, and the price is not only manageable, its a bargain. In other words, if you can still find it in a store, then run (dont walk) to one and buy this set.

Edited by KimT
indexed

Very good review, millacol88! However i bet it is already reviewed :laugh: i don't care, because it's along the crossbow attack (and the battlepacks, of course) the main army builder for crownies and skellies, so an interessting set! I agree with you: the price is totally worth it.

Nice review! :thumbup: I think that this set is ok, I'll probably never buy it though... :classic:

Very good review, millacol88! However i bet it is already reviewed :laugh: i don't care, because it's along the crossbow attack (and the battlepacks, of course) the main army builder for crownies and skellies, so an interessting set! I agree with you: the price is totally worth it.

Yes it is, and ya know what? It doesn't matter.

We've got plenty of room for reviews and it's always great to have different opinions on a set.

A great set in my opinion.

I bought me a few of these for army building and for the pieces.

For size and price it's definately a fair set, though I'd rather have the Dwarf Mine Defender.

But you're right, it should be in everyone's Castle collection.

Thanks for your comments, guys. Could someone please add a poll?

EDIT: I dont know what happened, for some reason it posted twice.

EDIT2: I merged it

Edited by KimT

Awesome review of an awesome set!

One extra emphasis on the weapons and misc items: this is one of the few (maybe the ONLY?) set that has a shield for ALL figs. really nice.

I bought a copy of this set early on for the mentioned euro price.

When I found it on discount for E6.99 I bought all the remaining copies in the store :D :D :D

really, really nice set :D

Edited by Lockt

Superset and superreview.

I really like this set, my nephew bought 4!!! of them, just as an army builder and to have some artillery.

He said he only paid 7.69 per set, since they were in discount. Seems they are in discount everywhere, overproduced???

I mean 7,69 is REALLY cheap...

Can't say it's a perfect set, but gets close. I own two of this, and voted Above average.

Thanks for the review.

Nice review from a nice set. :thumbup::classic:

I found this set so good (although I first was disappointed it was another catapult set) that I bought 3 of it.

It has many figs for this prize and some nice pieces ,although I don't like the many studless technic beams in it.

Also the 4 shields in a little set like this is very statisfying.

This is a really nicely done little set. Fun catapult, looks good, nice parts, and a cool little barricade like in any of those computer games where you have to fight undead.

Two reasonably kitted out good guys and two skellies - it's great.

I bought an extra one in addition to the one included in the Complete Castle Collection which I bought last year.

This was my first fantasy-era Castle set. Oddly enough, I was never that much into Castle before that, preferring Pirates, then Western, then some of the weird late-90s space stuff.

It's an excellent little set with 4 figs from two factions plus some siege equipment for the knights. I might have close to 100 fantasy-era figs now, which is making my mom wonder why I want the Giant Chess Set...

I need one of those scared faces, did the one on the guy in the catapult come with the set or is it from another set? It would be a big bonus if there was a scared face in such a cheap set. :pirate:

Nice review, cool ammo after the rock, but I do not think it will do much damage against a giant skellie army.

Great review. :thumbup: The minifigures look quite good and we also get a decent amount of accesories in this set. Great to see that the catapult look well-built.

Please don't bump an 5 year old thread with a discontinued set to say "good job" or "nice".

I am sorry, I am sort of new here, and I am checking reviews of sets I do not have but want. I will keep my mouth closed if I see a nice set review.