Sign in to follow this  
I Scream Clone

Contest SMALL: Hard Choices!

[thindexedgif.gif Vig. 20c

Hard Choices!

So Laddy, whats it going to be? The venom of the coral snake, or the waves take ye to Davy Jones' Locker? :pir-devil:

This is my entry for the Small Pillage the Village category. I have made some changes as requested by the members, to hopefully present a better MOC for the contest.

The first image is deeplinked to the gallery. If you arent allowed backgrounds then I have some other pics without.

Also are the palm leaves overhang alright?

Entry pic

2965853495_44567833db_o.jpg

Our buried soldier

2966700164_fede478540_o.jpg

Our Damsel

2965853341_378c47b4cf_o.jpg

Thanks for looking, and good luck to all :pir-sweet:

Edited by SlyOwl

Uhh. what an evil pirate :pir-skull: .. I like it :pir_laugh2:

It's very nice, and I thin k you are very right - it's a hard choice :pir-tongue: Good luck with the contest.

Great job so far!

I really like some of the detailing in the sand and great use of the Castle Advent Calendar.

I have used the same technique for palm trees and I love how it looks here.

Maybe using some light blue plates (If you have any) as a transition between the white shoreline and the ocean, sea, lake, etc. would look nice.

Again great work so far. :pir-classic:

great job ^^ as expected from you ! I love it , good luck for the contest! ^^

Great work I scream Clone!

The buried soldier is hilarious, and I think the SNOT water looks great. I also think that the curving trees look good.

Perhaps like Newright said, you could add some white or light blue plates interspersed with blue next to the shoreline for added detail.

But it still looks great! :thumbup:

Great small pirate entry. It is great! I see you have put a girl tied up to the tree. Nice touch. Also I like how you tied the knock around the girl too. I assume these are suppose to be palm trees. I see the parrot sitting ontop of the tree. That is always a nice affect to make the scene more piraty. I like how you made it look like the imperial armada soldier was being burried by that pirate by only having his head there and the pirate shoveling more sand onto him. That pirates beard, is that custom made because it looks really cool on him. I see you used two horns to make it look like the tide is coming in and the expression on the pirates face fitting the incoming tide. Are the spiders suppose to look like crabs? Well, overall, you did a fantastic job on your creation and I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

My opinion:

A very nice little MOC for the contest. I really like it, it has everything it needs and it clearly appears to comply with the demands of the contestjudges/administration.

You have chosen a very creative subject, and have represented it well.

I do not fully understand why you already entered though, and didnt wait for everyones comments and/or advise. :pir-oh3:

Possible improvements:

1) The transition between the shoreline and the water looks to abrupt. The shoreline clearly has some heigth differences in it and it is obvious this should be continued when going under sealevel. As suggested by Newright and other members, I advice you to add some light-blue plates (tiles) near the coaststroke to represent the "undeep water".

2)IMHO,a grey shovel looks more realistic then a black one (if you have one, that is...)

3) Giving the woman another color(eg.red) of hair would make it look better I think, it certainly would alter the current color pannel, which contains a lot of brown already. Did you experiment with it? Try it and maybe it would look better...

4)Adding some Old-Grey "rocks" in the sand could also change this. I think it might be wise to experiment with it.

5)As said, put in "WORK IN PROGRESS" next time, you never know something usefull will turn up... :pir-sweet:

The fact I added so much "possible improvements" does not state I dot like your MOC, because I do ! I just "designed" a new rating system that reflects as much details as possible. (no, nothing to do with the contest, I will now use this system in all extensive reviews I will make)

My rating: 8,5/10 :thumbup:

Very, nice, Master of SNOT! :pir-sweet:

What's good:

The SNOT, the palm trees, the buried imperial... all very good! I also really like your wave technique. :pir-classic:

What could be improved:

The bugs seem... a little different, maybe a crow would be a better choice? Also, like others have said, perhaps a little light blue transition between the shore and the water would be good. :thumbup:

But overall, great MOC, I always enjoy SNOT. :pir-sweet:

I think the guy burying the other looks too black (nothing racist btw :pir-wink: ) with a black beard, black shovel, black torso/leg. And in my opinion crabs would look better than ants, but that is a matter of taste and if you have crabs or not (the shellfish kind, not the other "crabs" :pir-laugh:). Otherwise a nice vignette.

Great job so far!

I really like some of the detailing in the sand and great use of the Castle Advent Calendar.

I have used the same technique for palm trees and I love how it looks here.

Maybe using some light blue plates (If you have any) as a transition between the white shoreline and the ocean, sea, lake, etc. would look nice.

Again great work so far. :pir-classic:

Thanks, I dont own any light blue plates either, my collection is quite limited so far as I have only returned to Lego last year after 20 years away. Though I may purchase some and palm trees etc.

Thanks for the help!

My opinion:

A very nice little MOC for the contest. I really like it, it has everything it needs and it clearly appears to comply with the demands of the contestjudges/administration.

You have chosen a very creative subject, and have represented it well.

I do not fully understand why you already entered though, and didnt wait for everyones comments and/or advise. :pir-oh3:

Possible improvements:

1) The transition between the shoreline and the water looks to abrupt. The shoreline clearly has some heigth differences in it and it is obvious this should be continued when going under sealevel. As suggested by Newright and other members, I advice you to add some light-blue plates (tiles) near the coaststroke to represent the "undeep water".

2)IMHO,a grey shovel looks more realistic then a black one (if you have one, that is...)

3) Giving the woman another color(eg.red) of hair would make it look better I think, it certainly would alter the current color pannel, which contains a lot of brown already. Did you experiment with it? Try it and maybe it would look better...

4)Adding some Old-Grey "rocks" in the sand could also change this. I think it might be wise to experiment with it.

5)As said, put in "WORK IN PROGRESS" next time, you never know something usefull will turn up... :pir-sweet:

The fact I added so much "possible improvements" does not state I dot like your MOC, because I do ! I just "designed" a new rating system that reflects as much details as possible. (no, nothing to do with the contest, I will now use this system in all extensive reviews I will make)

My rating: 8,5/10 :thumbup:

Thanks for all the help and praise :pir-cry_happy: I will take it all on board and may end up changing a few things. I didn't see anywhere in the rules stating you had to make a WIP entry, as I can always edit the pics later, because we all have till the end of November to make changes.

Cheers

Very, nice, Master of SNOT! :pir-sweet:

What's good:

The SNOT, the palm trees, the buried imperial... all very good! I also really like your wave technique. :pir-classic:

What could be improved:

The bugs seem... a little different, maybe a crow would be a better choice? Also, like others have said, perhaps a little light blue transition between the shore and the water would be good. :thumbup:

But overall, great MOC, I always enjoy SNOT. :pir-sweet:

I may try to make a crow or crabs etc, thanks

I think the guy burying the other looks too black (nothing racist btw :pir-wink: ) with a black beard, black shovel, black torso/leg. And in my opinion crabs would look better than ants, but that is a matter of taste and if you have crabs or not (the shellfish kind, not the other "crabs" :pir-laugh:). Otherwise a nice vignette.

As said earlier, I have limited supplies to work with and the red beard didn't work with the older red of the pirate shirt :pir-cry_sad: I purposely didnt use a black hat to lift the rest of the black a little.

Thanks all for the nice comments and help. I feel the 8 x 8 really presents a challenge as to how much detail can be built in to the scene without overcrowding.

The palm trees need more branches and leaves. The water is lacking, because it needs light blue plates. I know you said you didn't have any, but that would enhance the MOC. The tied up woman and the waves are very cool. The guy that is being buried is too close to the water, unless you meant for it to be that way. Did you mean for the guy to drown at high tide or to be buried alive? Overall though good job.

I have to say that this small entry is very creative. The trees are ok, but the trunk could be improved. The buried soldier is a nice addition. May I ask what the bones in the water are? The ants seem to big and I don't think that they match the whole theme. I like how you used the new torso for the Damsel from the Castle Advent Calendar. You could make the Captain seem meaner by changing the face. He just doesn't seem mean enough to be a Pirate. There is a perfect amount of minifigures in this entry. I think that the ropes would be better if they were chains instead. I like the addition of the parrot. I give this a 5/5. :pir-classic:

Lego12

Hi ISC,

So you've made your escape from Moonlight to this little island have you? Let's take a little look then shall we?

This is a really nice vignette, and I think you've done a great job with it. I appreciate how hard it is to do landscaping, as I have a lot of trouble with it myself, and it is even harder to do something good in such a small space. I think you've pulled off the slope of a beach really well, there aren't any weird bumps that don't fit, so all good there. Yes, I must say you've handled the landscaping nicely. As a couple of others have mentioned, the transition between the land and sea is a little abrupt, but that is hard to avoid in such a small model. It is to bad you don't have any light blue plates, as I think that would have given the sea a bit more texture. The sea still looks fine without them though, and the breaking waves make up for a lack of varying colour. That technique you have used for the incoming waves is awesome! Very inventive use of parts, and they fit in well and give a nice effect.

Also to do with landscaping, I really like the curve of the trees; that adds a certain something to the overall model, and contrasts with the ridges of the sand. Very nice. The use of loose plates for dug up sand is cool as well.

Now on to the minfigs. You've got the faces just right I feel; that terrified face on the man sure is a useful one! There is one improvement I think could be made on this, and that is the placement of the bearded man. He seems far to lifeless for a bloodthirsty pirate. Try putting him in some sort of pose, for example, digging up the sand or heaving it over on top of the buried soldier. As it is, it does look fine, but a little more life would do him some good. He looks a little dull just standing there with a shovel, if you get what I mean. :grin: As for the woman, I think she is positioned perfectly. It looks like she is straining against her bonds, desperately trying to pull free and save her dear soldier. That or run away. :wink: That's the feeling I get, and all of that is just from a little bend in the knees! So as you can see, even a little bit of movement is very effective. I also find it amusing how she seems to be leaning away from the ant that she is apparently staring at in horror, not aware that there is another one coming at her on the other side. :pir_laugh2: That is really cool.

Well that's about all I have to say, I hope you find something helpful in there. You've done a terrific job, and should be very pleased with yourself. :thumbup:

The palm trees need more branches and leaves. The water is lacking, because it needs light blue plates. I know you said you didn't have any, but that would enhance the MOC. The tied up woman and the waves are very cool. The guy that is being buried is too close to the water, unless you meant for it to be that way. Did you mean for the guy to drown at high tide or to be buried alive? Overall though good job.

Cant go crazy with the leaves, though maybe I will snap up some palm leaves if I buy some light blue plates too :)

It looks very good, maybe alter colors in some of the sand. Like the chices of minifigs.

not sure what other colours go well with tan, maybe the pearl gold colour?

I have to say that this small entry is very creative. The trees are ok, but the trunk could be improved. The buried soldier is a nice addition. May I ask what the bones in the water are? The ants seem to big and I don't think that they match the whole theme. I like how you used the new torso for the Damsel from the Castle Advent Calendar. You could make the Captain seem meaner by changing the face. He just doesn't seem mean enough to be a Pirate. There is a perfect amount of minifigures in this entry. I think that the ropes would be better if they were chains instead. I like the addition of the parrot. I give this a 5/5. :pir-classic:

Lego12

The bones are meant to represent waves washing in. As for ropes versus chains I opted for ropes as Pirates have those readily available, or they could even be vines from the nearby trees.

Hi ISC,

So you've made your escape from Moonlight to this little island have you? Let's take a little look then shall we?

This is a really nice vignette, and I think you've done a great job with it. I appreciate how hard it is to do landscaping, as I have a lot of trouble with it myself, and it is even harder to do something good in such a small space. I think you've pulled off the slope of a beach really well, there aren't any weird bumps that don't fit, so all good there. Yes, I must say you've handled the landscaping nicely. As a couple of others have mentioned, the transition between the land and sea is a little abrupt, but that is hard to avoid in such a small model. It is to bad you don't have any light blue plates, as I think that would have given the sea a bit more texture. The sea still looks fine without them though, and the breaking waves make up for a lack of varying colour. That technique you have used for the incoming waves is awesome! Very inventive use of parts, and they fit in well and give a nice effect.

Also to do with landscaping, I really like the curve of the trees; that adds a certain something to the overall model, and contrasts with the ridges of the sand. Very nice. The use of loose plates for dug up sand is cool as well.

Now on to the minfigs. You've got the faces just right I feel; that terrified face on the man sure is a useful one! There is one improvement I think could be made on this, and that is the placement of the bearded man. He seems far to lifeless for a bloodthirsty pirate. Try putting him in some sort of pose, for example, digging up the sand or heaving it over on top of the buried soldier. As it is, it does look fine, but a little more life would do him some good. He looks a little dull just standing there with a shovel, if you get what I mean. :grin: As for the woman, I think she is positioned perfectly. It looks like she is straining against her bonds, desperately trying to pull free and save her dear soldier. That or run away. :wink: That's the feeling I get, and all of that is just from a little bend in the knees! So as you can see, even a little bit of movement is very effective. I also find it amusing how she seems to be leaning away from the ant that she is apparently staring at in horror, not aware that there is another one coming at her on the other side. :pir_laugh2: That is really cool.

Well that's about all I have to say, I hope you find something helpful in there. You've done a terrific job, and should be very pleased with yourself. :thumbup:

Iris lives! :pir-tongue:

Thanks mate for the nice words, i agree there could be some more posing and im toying with the idea of half burying the soldier, though this will take more space on the beach.

Well Im off to try some more little tweaks.

Thanks for all the constructive help too. :pir_laugh2:

Hello I Scream Clone,

This is a very nice MOC. You captured the feel of peril within a small MOC.

-Heads used captures and expresses the expected reactions very well.

-The transition of the SNOT water is nice

Suggestions:

-The top of the tree is distracting and I would recommend changing it or removing the two bamboo leaf pieces on each trunk.

Overall:

This is a nice MOC whether you take my suggestion or not.

Tony

Hey ISC,

Land ahoy! :pir_laugh2: Now, I discovered one of the creative castle builder, building a Pirates' moc. It looks real wicked, with that small entry of yours. How wicked can it be, when your entry immediately reminded me of Indiana Jones' face sticking out of its sandy ground, allowing red fire ants to rip the flesh out of his head. Ouch, that's sound pretty bloody.

Locking the maiden up, looking at her lover facing the brink of death, torturing by the cruelsome Captain, is a good idea which is suitable for the contest's objective. I think you have did a great job. Tweaking a little bit, to improve your entry, will defintely be its palm tree. It will be better if the leaves are extended or make used of palm leaves instead. It looks a little bare, with the current foilage. Add in a little bit of yellow sand and stone, in between to break the contrast from the blue coast and the sandy beach. I am sure the effect will look a little better.

Keep up the good work! :pir-sweet:

WhiteFang

Hi fellow Eurobrickers, I have updated my entry and would appreciate any feedback. The older photos can still be seen in the link for the first pic.

Also, If a Moderator could let me know whether the background is allowed, and if the palm leaves are overhanging too much? That would be great.

Cheers

ISC :pir-blush:

that .. looks very nice! the improvement you did are great !

and your edited background looks good! I say, you have a good chance to grab a price with it!

Looks very good now with your newest improvements, don't see what more you can do since you already responded to our suggestions.

Very nice improvements ISC! :pir-classic:

I like the way you did the water, as it's different than what most people do, and the use of the new Castle maiden is brilliant!

Great work!

I really like your improvements. I think you are now understanding the concept of the PTV contest. You have done very well fixing up your MOC and keep up the good work!

LegoKing

Really great MOC, well done.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

- I find the face on the pirate a bit tame, he doesn't look interested at all.

- I'm not a big fan of the waves (are they teeth?)

- The pirate is holding the gun with a hook? That just isn't going to work, how does he pull the trigger?

That's it, like I said great entry.

Edited by pe668

Looks very good now with your newest improvements, don't see what more you can do since you already responded to our suggestions.

Thanks, couldn't have made it better without your input.

Very nice improvements ISC! :pir-classic:

I like the way you did the water, as it's different than what most people do, and the use of the new Castle maiden is brilliant!

Great work!

It took a little fiddling to get the water right, but I think its come out well.

Really great MOC, well done.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

- I find the face on the pirate a bit tame, he doesn't look interested at all.

- I'm not a big fan of the waves (are they teeth?)

- The pirate is holding the gun with a hook? That just isn't going to work, how does he pull the trigger?

That's it, like I said great entry.

The waves are teeth / horns from the Skeleton Castle set 7093. I decided to go with something different to make the waves stand out.

As for the hook holding the pistol, as everyone is either buried or tied to a tree, the pirate is taking a break and doesn't need to fire it anytime soon, hence the cool look on his face. :pir-tongue:

Good luck to all the other entrants too, lots of creative minds on Eurobricks by the look of things.