REVIEW: 4789 Alpha Team Aquatic Mech

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (8 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 - Below Average (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 3 - Average (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 4 - Above Average (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. 5 - Outstanding (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:49 AM

4789 Alpha Team Aquatic Mech

Set #: 4789
Theme: Alpha Team - Mission Deep Sea
Year of Release: 2002
Pieces: 164
Minifigs: 1
Price: $20 (USD)

In 2002, Lego released a new underwater sub-theme called Mission Deep Sea.  The sub-theme was part of Alpha Team with some of the same characters and villains from 2001 (e.g. Ogel and others).  Although I don't think the theme was too good, this limited release Mech was a pretty slick set.  It included a large robotic underwater mech, a small "Tee Vee" probe, Alpha Team hero Dash, and a hammerhead shark.  This collection of components made for a nice set with a great play value.  I think the mech served as an early proto-type for Exo-Force mechs that would come many years later.

Let's take a look at this set in better detail.

The front of the box had some nice artwork with a look that reminds me of Aquaraiders:

Posted Image

The back of the box provides inspiration for two different alternative models:

Posted Image

Here's a close-up:

Posted Image

The set includes one minifig (Dash as named on the box) that has a brown hairpiece and diving equipment:

Posted Image

A nice extra is this little camera probe that has a sharp printed brick.  I like it's name, "TEE-VEE":

Posted Image

The set also includes a black hammerhead shark and some underwater sea life:

Posted Image

And these extras:

Posted Image

The best part of this set is this large industrial mech that reminds me of something from the movie Aliens:

Posted Image

The cockpit is pretty slick with a yellow stretcher holder that covers the see-through piece:

Posted Image

The cockpit includes two levers and the nice printed sloped bricks:

Posted Image

In the back of the mech are two underwater propellors that can swivel up and down:

Posted Image

The strong legs of the mech utilize this unique printed piece found only in a few Alpha Team sets.  They swivel similar to the first Star Wars AT-ST set:

Posted Image 41525px1

Posted Image

Each legs also includes a container/safe piece:

Posted Image

Here's a shot of the front of the mech with its two long arms:

Posted Image

Each arm utilizes two arm sections:

Posted Image

The right arm has a claw that remains closed until manually opened.  A small rubberband keeps it closed:

Posted Image

The mech's left arm has two trans yellow saw blades:

Posted Image

A shot of the mech in action:

Posted Image

And lastly, the complete set:

Posted Image

Summary:

I picked up just a few Alpha Team Deep Sea sets back in the early 2000s, none of which I really liked; but after finding this set for $20 at my local TRU store, I had to buy one.  I like this set in that it has some great pieces, none of which have stickers.  As I said earlier, this particular mech reminds me of the mech that was used to fight the Alien in the 1986 sci-fi flick.  I think it looks good in yellow giving it a real industrial look plus adding an element of underwater use to its design.  I think this set is the best among the 2002 Mission Deep Sea collection.  

Share your thoughts.

#2 Scyzoryk

Scyzoryk

Member: 2576

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

Awwww, Classic!

Love the review! :thumbup:
BDMF2DG4L(;

#3 Skorpius47

Skorpius47

Member: 3451

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

It's a very generic design, but the entire set makes up for the lack of creativity by including many interest pieces.  The printed bricks look excellent for MOCs and there are plenty of other useful bricks.

May I request a favor?  I'd like to see how the mech looks with each arm missing a section.  Would it be possible to remove the bicep from each arm and snap a picture?

#4 kill will

kill will

Member: 2273

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:50 AM

Yes, it does look kind of like this:
Posted Image

Just like aquaraiders, unless the pilot was wearing breathing apparatus, they would drown.  :sceptic:  I would buy the set for the Aliens like mech and cool little tee vee dude, though the price seems steep. Where did you get yours? I might be interested in buying one. Nice review!  :thumbup:
A winrar is you!

#5 xaphor

xaphor

Member: 2764

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:53 AM

Love all these reviews of classic and overlooked sets Brickster, but I think Lego were going for a sawfish with that shark mold.

Sawfish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawfish

Hammerhead
http://en.wikipedia....ammerhead_shark

#6 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

View PostSkorpius47, on Sep 20 2008, 05:11 PM, said:

May I request a favor?  I'd like to see how the mech looks with each arm missing a section.  Would it be possible to remove the bicep from each arm and snap a picture?
Sure, here you go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

View Postkill will, on Sep 20 2008, 05:50 PM, said:

Yes, it does look kind of like this:
Thanks for sharing.  That was the mech I was thinking of.

View Postxaphor, on Sep 20 2008, 06:53 PM, said:

but I think Lego were going for a sawfish with that shark mold.
Oh, that's exactly what I meant - not sure why I typed hammer head.

#7 Skorpius47

Skorpius47

Member: 3451

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Ah, there we go.  It looks a lot more proportionate without the two arm parts and it looks as though it still has the same range of motion.  

Thanks for the pics.

#8 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

Brickster, this is another set which I have never seen before. Is this a limited edition set? I was not aware that Alpha Team was venturing Deep Sea Missions during that period.

Looking at the boxart for the very first time, I must admit that it looks a little like Aqua Raiders with yellow color combination. The minfig, Dash looks normal and does not really appeal to me. More importantly, TEE-VEE looks way much better! You surprised me, that the sharp brick on the side is actually printed, with its name.  :wub: I thought all blackhammer shark are supposed to be in grey? It seemed some elements in this set are my first encounter.

The yellow mech robot, is defintely a beauty. I love to watch Aliens, seeing Ripely in action fighting against the Alien Queen. The yellow scheme is great, with great features such as the water propellors, container safe piece, unique leg piece and cockpit.

This set must be one of the signs of Exo Force. The difference between this mech and current Exo Force models, is most of the bricks used are actually printed instead of using stickers.

Thanks Brickster, for doing up this lovely review which is unknown to me.  :sweet:

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users