42 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

10200 Custom Car Garage - Part 1

Gentlemen, start your engines! A review of Lego's new Custom Garage has finally come to Eurobricks, after much excitement and anticipation.

First, to get you into the right mood for this most excellent bodacious review, let's turn on the radio dial and play some classic car tuneage:

I wonder what's playing?

That's better. Now, on to Part 1.

Let's check out some of the set stats:

Set Name: Custom Car Garage

Set #: 10200

Theme: Factory / Town/City

Year of Release: 2008 (Sep)

Pieces: 893

Minifigs: 4

Price: $69.99 (USD)

Official Set Description:

Customize these classic hot-rod racers!

These custom hot rods are tuned-up, turbo-charged, and ready to burn up the road! Designed by some of the most talented LEGO fans around, they’ve got classic racing details, innovative parts and building techniques, and modular engines that you can swap from car to car, plus a racing garage with a working auto lift and removable roof to let you customize them even more!

Includes 3 cars and drivers, mechanic with tools, High Speed Customs garage, 6 different hot rod engines, and a LEGO Digital Designer CD!

Create your own custom models and order them online at LEGO Factory!

How about some pictures?

I was pleasantly surprised at the brighly colored box and artwork on the front side:

01box1.jpg

Although the backside doesn't have any alternate models, the artwork, colors, and set photos are nicely done:

02box2.jpg

Here's some close-ups of the imagery:

03box3.jpgYellow Car with Six Modular Engines

04box4.jpgThe Garage

05box5.jpgMinifigs and Red Deuce Coupe

The set DOES include two sets of instructions, Book 1 for the three cars; and Book 2 for the garage:

06inst1.jpg

The backside of Book 1 depicts three alternate models (no instructions included):

08inst3.jpg

The back of Book 2 shows a few shots of the set. I love the vivid sunset images:

07inst2.jpg

A LDD CD is included within the set with the same image as the box:

09cd.jpg

To my surprise, the set does include printed pieces with just a few decals:

10decals.jpg

And lastly, the contents of the box include 14 separate bags of bricks:

11pieces.jpg

END PART 1

I plan to build this set later this evening and post images in the morning.

I'll leave you with some additional music/videos to help you appreciate this awesome hotrod set:

Little Deuce Coupe - Beach Boys

I Get Around - Beach Boys

Little Old Lady From Pasadena - Jan & Dean

Part 2 coming soon...

Oooh, lookin' good so far, TheBrickster! Can't wait to see the set built. Looking forward to part 2!

~Peace

Wow! This looks really good. Can't wait to see the finished product!

And by the way, has anyone but me noticed that on of the minifigs torso is the same as the Naboo Pilot?

Has anyone noticed that on of the minifigs torso is the same as the Naboo Pilot?

Has anyone noticed that one of the minifigs has a Dr. Inferno henchmen jumpsuit? :sceptic:

Glad you managed to grab this set. Can't wait for you to build finish, and see this completed set. :thumbup:

Thanks for the first part of the review TheBrickster! I love this st a lot, the cars are so neat and the figs look excellent too. Love the garage too, so much tan! :wub:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

10200 Custom Car Garage - Part 1

Gentlemen, start your engines! A review of Lego's new Custom Garage has finally come to Eurobricks, after much excitement and anticipation.

First, to get you into the right mood for this most excellent bodacious review, let's turn on the radio dial and play some classic car tuneage:

I wonder what's playing? CLICK ME

That's better. Now, on to Part 1.

Let's check out some of the set stats:

Set Name: Custom Car Garage

Set #: 10200

Theme: Factory / Town/City

Year of Release: 2008 (Sep)

Pieces: 893

Minifigs: 4

Price: $69.99 (USD)

How about some pictures?

I was pleasantly surprised at the brighly colored box and artwork on the front side:

01box1.jpg

Although the backside doesn't have any alternate models, the artwork, colors, and set photos are nicely done:

02box2.jpg

Here's some close-ups of the imagery:

03box3.jpgYellow Car with Six Modular Engines

04box4.jpgThe Garage

05box5.jpgMinifigs and Red Deuce Coupe

The set DOES include two sets of instructions, Book 1 for the three cars; and Book 2 for the garage:

06inst1.jpg

The backside of Book 1 depicts three alternate models (no instructions included):

08inst3.jpg

The back of Book 2 shows a few shots of the set. I love the vivid sunset images:

07inst2.jpg

A LDD CD is included within the set with the same image as the box:

09cd.jpg

To my surprise, the set does include printed pieces with just a few decals:

10decals.jpg

And lastly, the contents of the box include 14 separate bags of bricks:

11pieces.jpg

END PART 1

I plan to build this set later this evening and post images in the morning.

I'll leave you with some additional music/videos to help you appreciate this awesome hotrod set:

Little Deuce Coupe - Beach Boys

I Get Around - Beach Boys

Little Old Lady From Pasadena - Jan & Dean

Part 2 coming soon...

what are really the book numbers

Please don't quote his entire post. Great job so far, I can't wait to see the build. I like the Dr. Inferno and Naboo pilot torsos.

WOW! This is a great review so far, Brickster! :thumbup: Even now, I know that I have to buy this set.

10200 Custom Car Garage - Part 2

Continuing Part 2 of this review...

The set includes four figs with a variety of different torsos:

20figs.jpg

As mentioned in the set description, the set includes six modular engines that can be interchanged throughout the three vehicles:

22eng1.jpgSet 1

23eng2.jpgSet 2

24eng3.jpgSet 3

Among my favorite of the vehicles/components within this set is this little red cherry, the Red Roadster:

31red2.jpg

The front end has some nice details including the lights and bumper:

32front.jpg

The back section has a nice rounded design:

33rear.jpg

The back end lifts open for a trunk or placement of a second minifig:

34trunk.jpg

Here's a shot of the tail end with dual technic enhaust:

35tail.jpg

The brick/tile built doors open and the front end has long wheel fenders:

36hood.jpg

Here's the car without the engine:

37remove.jpg

Replacing it with another engine:

38swap.jpg

The white top can be easily removed for playability or the "convertable-look":

39top.jpg

And here's the Red Roadster with two minifigs:

40drive.jpg

And a few alternate shots on a green background (in case the white doesn't show the top very well):

41green1.jpg

42green2.jpg

Red Roadster Comments:

As I mentioned above, this is my favorite of the three vehicles. It looks so different than the pictures, esp. with the all red engine/hood. I was very surprised at the size of this vehicle and the number of pieces it took to build it. It is very detailed and nearly took me an hour to build. The piece bags are not numbered so there's a lot of piece searching required (and the pieces are mostly small). When I'm done with this review, I'll take a few shots of this car with a standard 4-stude wide vehicle for comparison. It is a large and detailed vehicle, and the design is terrific.

End Part 2

The red roadster definitely looks the best, perfect for any minifig who likes to drive fast and with some class. I am still waiting to see if the yellow car is really an SUV :tongue: and if the gray/brown car is really a pickup truck. Nice review and don't stop :thumbup:

The red roadster definitely looks the best, perfect for any minifig who likes to drive fast and with some class. I am still waiting to see if the yellow car is really an SUV :tongue: and if the gray/brown car is really a pickup truck. Nice review and don't stop :thumbup:

I don't think it's a SUV, more of a a station wagon...

M.

Thanks for this great first section. I prefer less hot-rodded cars, so I was pleased to see that the red car looks great with the covered engine. I'll be curious to see how the others look.

I'll be looking for the next segments.

Thank you very much for this review of the first part of this set, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

Nevertheless my opinion towards this set didn't change: I really don't like it :sad: because it looks too simple and "too custom" :thumbdown: .

The 6561 Hot Rod Club :wub: (which I gladly own :classic: ) is waaaaay better than this set.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

10200 Custom Car Garage - Part 3

Moving on to the 2nd vehicle, the low-riding truck:

50truck1.jpg

The front end uses trans clear 1x2 plates as headlights:

51front.jpg

I like the back section of this vehicle the most:

52back.jpg

I want to load the bed up up with some adventure gear and add Johny Thunder or Indiana Jones.

The use of brown chairs for wheel fenders isn't the first, but still a clever design. The black exhaust pieces are goblets/cups:

53bed.jpg

Here's a shot from the top of the vehicle, 8-stud wide in the back:

54top.jpg

The top of this vehicle doesn't come off as easy, but still "doable". What's nice is that it does allow placement of two minifigs:

55in.jpg

Door swing open on both sides:

56door.jpg

This vehicle is definately a "low-rider" with wheels very close to the ground. Take a look at the under section:

57under.jpg

Here's a shot of the low-rider with a more detailed engine:

58eng.jpg

And lastly, another image with green back and roadplate:

59green.jpg

Low-Rider Comments:

While I like this low-rider truck, I would almost prefer that it be jacked up with big wheels giving it an appearance of a 4-wheel drive. That way, I could add some adventure gear and some Adventurers to go exploring Deserts and Jungles. It's still nicely designed, and I love the back section / truck bed. Being able to place two minifigs inside is also a great feature of the design. I also like this truck with a more powerful looking engine as depicted in the last picture.

Share your thoughts.

10200 Custom Car Garage - Part 4

The third and final vehicle is this yellow and grey station wagon:

60sta1.jpg

I like the front end with the use of a 2x2 round plate and yellow cups for head lights:

61front.jpg

Featured on this car is the nicely detailed big-block engine:

62eng.jpg

The doors to this vehicle are set at an angle and do not open/close very well with single grey clip/hook. I do like the back section with windows:

63back.jpg

The back end has an elaborate SNOT section:

64tail.jpg

The top opens to allow easy access to the interior which seats two minifigs:

66in.jpg

Here's a side view with driver:

65side.jpg

And lastly, the station wagon pictured with green background and roadplate:

67green.jpg

Oops, not so fast... What's that coming...? CLICK ME and scroll down.

E

C

T

O

69ghost2.jpg

This one's for Flatfoot Thompsen :laugh: Enjoy!

End Part 4

A great review so far and I look forward to the continuation of it, one question am I the only one here who’s reminded of the Top Gear most stupid looking engine/exhaust contest some years ago with all those changeable engine?

I dislike the yellow car. It looks more like a hearse with no back window. Also, is there no smooth engine for the yellow car? And as an added bonus, my Rolls Royce engine part could be swapped, I just noticed: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g39/axle417/car4.png http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g39/axle417/car1.png

I may get this set, ohh, but the Pirates! AND INDY! IT'S TOO HARD TO DECIDE. :cry_sad:

Edited by Axle