Dream LEGO Licenses

Percy jackson Disney under water aqua sea Theme Possible LEGO

• Please log in to reply
1439 replies to this topic

#1026 Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus

Member: 32567

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

I'd like to see The Malazan Book of the Fallen, or, slightly more realistic here but still exceedingly unlikely, R.A. Salvatore's stuff for Forgotten Realms.

#1027 OzBen

OzBen

Member: 28969

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

View PostEndeavour, on 06 November 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

The license i would kill for(Just an expression, but pretty close) would be LEGO The Adventures of Tintin. I'm a great fan of Hergé's comic books and a tie-in license for Peter Jackson's upcoming sequel to the first Tintin film makes perfect profitable sense.
And seeing as TLC already has the license to all of Peter Jackson's films we could well see the first Tintin sets in 2015. :drool:

Another theme i will continue to dream of is the in-review Cuusoo project Back to the Future line. :wub:

http://www.facebook....172789269450502

:thumbup:

#1028 theultimatetoa001

theultimatetoa001

Member: 32848

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

I would KILL for Lego Megaman. With the Classic series, X series, Zero series, and all the spin offs,there is a TON of sets that could be made.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1029 Another Brick In The Wall

Another Brick In The Wall

Member: 27855

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostJargo, on 21 October 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Gerry Anderson's stuff is ripe for it. Fireball XL-5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, Terrahawks, Space 1999, UFO, Space precinct. The array of parts we have now Lego could easily pull off the vehicles.

Here's a SNOT-astic Eagle on CUUSOO. The creator almost nails it (the cockpit was always gonna pose problems). Still great. Sadly, will never be produced.

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall, 11 November 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#1030 Dr.Cogg

Dr.Cogg

• They're called "wet lands"

Member: 4030

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

So I just saw Wreck-it Ralph, and thought why didn't lego make sets based on this movie, did they miss the bus on this one seeing as lego and Disney have a partnership, what are your thoughts?
Immortal and loving it.

Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#1031 Legonardo

Legonardo

• Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back

Member: 22773

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

LEGO and Disney do have a partnership but I believe if TLG were to do this they would need to purchase another licence for this. besides, I am fully aware it's a kids movie but TLG shouldn't have too many licences!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Flickr

Facebook

#1032 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

It should also be noted that Wreck-It Ralph appears to be a stand-alone movie, whereas most of the LEGO Group's partnership with Disney has been to promote movies that are at least intended to serve as part of a larger franchise. After all, the larger a movie franchise is, the more brand name appeal it will have, and series that are still ongoing have a particular advantage in that TLG can usually count on the license remaining profitable (since the marketing for new installments in the franchise basically amounts to easy marketing for the LEGO themes as well).

#1033 Jargo

Jargo

Member: 10639

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Well speaking of licenses, I'd love lego versions of How to train your Dragon and Dragons - Riders of Berk. At least ten different types of Dragon, visually interesting Vikings. An array of buildings and the islands they sit on. Not to mention boats and ships. And a sheep named Fungus.

I know Lego has done Dragons in Harry Potter, Fantasy castle and Ninjago but you can't go wrong with Dragons and you can never have too many. Also the main characters are young teens which always sits well with Lego's target market.

There's also the villainous Outcasts with their leader Alvin the treacherous. Lots of potential for Dragon riders versus Outcasts sets. A ship to bring them to the island of Berk is essential . And Trader Johann would also come with his boat. I suppose a fishing boat could be included with any village set.

I probably haven't thought this through enough and I'm terrible at selling ideas. You get my general drift though.

#1034 Ludzik

Ludzik

Member: 23579

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I know it's an older series but a Bablyon 5 license would be great!  The station, Star Fury, Vorlon ship, the cruisers.... there could be an endless supply of sets :)  Unfortunately though I think most of the sets would have to be big so it'd be a hard one to sell by getting kids interested in the smaller sets first :(  

An option would be though to maybe release it as micro scale only>

#1035 Vindicare

Vindicare

Member: 12542

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

View Posttheultimatetoa001, on 11 November 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

I would KILL for Lego Megaman. With the Classic series, X series, Zero series, and all the spin offs,there is a TON of sets that could be made.

That's a cool idea. I'd even settle for brick built, mosaic type character builds. All the different robots, Dr. Light and Dr. Wily.
Clone Army-147 & counting...

#1036 GandalfofHoth

GandalfofHoth

Member: 33398

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

View Postdarth-3po, on 18 September 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

I'd love to see a secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel book series license. character descriptions
I love that book series but don't think that'll happen. :sceptic:

Edited by GandalfofHoth, 27 November 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#1037 Chri5kng

Chri5kng

Member: 33137

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Do you guys think this would be a good idea?

Think of having set like The Simpson house, nuclear power plant, springfield wharf, Ned house etc.... I think this would be a classic theme if Lego ever got the Simpson license, and I know for one I would get every set available!

#1038 jonwil

jonwil

Member: 1239

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Would never happen, The Simpsons has too many things that just dont fit with what LEGO aims for.

#1039 PsyKater

PsyKater

• I am Adriano. Please be nice.

Member: 30022

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hmmm... they are yellow... :grin:
- PsyKater [psyː'kɑtɐ]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Stigveladi Kötturin, the Ghost Buster

in Sandy's Heroica! The RPG!

247 years old Dwarven Mage

[stats] | [story] | [intro] | [currently on the Fields of Glory]

Timezone: CEST (UTC/GMT+2)

Retak Yps, Nephilim Necromancer

in Sandy's Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis

2013 years old male Fenerian Necromancer

Posted Image

We opened a new BrickLink Store for you: steinreich24.com - From fans for fans! Learn more about our idea in the Bazaar!

#1040 gundamz

gundamz

Member: 31807

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Nay.  The Simpsons demographic, IIRC, is mostly teens and adults (not really a kid-friendly show).  LEGO's main demographic is still kids (as evidenced by the fact that kid-geared themes dominate - Ninjago, Star Wars Clone Wars, TMNT to an extent).  Unless there is a huge AFOL movement for Simpson's sets, I don't think LEGO will do it.

#1041 Chri5kng

Chri5kng

Member: 33137

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

View Postgundamz, on 28 November 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Nay.  The Simpsons demographic, IIRC, is mostly teens and adults (not really a kid-friendly show).  LEGO's main demographic is still kids (as evidenced by the fact that kid-geared themes dominate - Ninjago, Star Wars Clone Wars, TMNT to an extent).  Unless there is a huge AFOL movement for Simpson's sets, I don't think LEGO will do it.

But do you guys want it?

#1042 PsyKater

PsyKater

• I am Adriano. Please be nice.

Member: 30022

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

><((((º>

Posted Image
courtesy of http://cmybacon.com
- PsyKater [psyː'kɑtɐ]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Stigveladi Kötturin, the Ghost Buster

in Sandy's Heroica! The RPG!

247 years old Dwarven Mage

[stats] | [story] | [intro] | [currently on the Fields of Glory]

Timezone: CEST (UTC/GMT+2)

Retak Yps, Nephilim Necromancer

in Sandy's Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis

2013 years old male Fenerian Necromancer

Posted Image

We opened a new BrickLink Store for you: steinreich24.com - From fans for fans! Learn more about our idea in the Bazaar!

#1043 shadowhearth

shadowhearth

Member: 34575

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

hey, i am pretty new around here, so dont be mad at me if you had this topic already.

I came back to lego as 26 years old adult ( at least i think i am adult, though after this xmas i am not too sure now :hmpf_bad: ). I Love technic Sets and thats what i am reviving my lego skills with. i am big gamer and PC hardware enthusiast on the other side too. I discovered that CUUSOO had an EVE online rifter frigate entry. It was quite an amazing Moc and i am not even saying this as an EVE player! :sweet: . Now we got in review Portal 2 set and we have minecraft set out for sale too.

A lot of Lego fans are gamers too. Gaming is one of the biggest entertainment industry in the world ( if not biggest ), wouldnt that be like a gold mine for lego to introduce some gaming related themes ( and i am talking about theme, not just one off set )? I am pretty sure LEGO is not stupid and they see this market, so there must be something i dont know so?

for example there are very huge gaming worlds and themes. I know i sow some World of Warcraft brick sets and Halo, but i cant remember who made them. Though i know i was quite surprised that Lego did not snatched WOW license for Lego. there are around 10million active Wow players and even more of those who are Ex wow players like myself. Thing is i would buy almost any Lego world of warcraft lego set, because it was a huge part of my life once. I love that universe and lore even now, so having it in lego would be just plain awesome!
We got such themes like Mass effect, Starcraft, Fallout, Bioshock, League of legends, Dota, Elder scroll, half life? portal, team fortress 2, warhammer 40k? I am pretty sure that even not a lego fan gamers would have that just because of its Nerdiness factor. Surely it would be quite a good thing to developers of these games too?

#1044 Faefrost

Faefrost

• Fire Policefighter

Member: 27890

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

It all comes down to audience numbers and the speed of change. In order for a licensed product to be viable for Lego it really needs a built in audience of several million. Say in excess of 2-3 million at an absolute minimum, preferably 5 million plus. While gaming populations are strong and very vocal, in truth very few video games hit these numbers.  For those the do hey can be further subdivided by those that are inappropriate under Legos brand guidelines (ie Call of Duty).

As you point out Megabloks has a World of Warcraft license. This is one of the most popular games in the world, but still the sets have been so so sellers.

Lego has dipped its toes into video game sets. They have made 4 sets based on Star Wars video games, with a rumored 5th in the works. The Minecraft set was a great seller for CuuSoo. But I don't think the audience penetration is there yet for the full blown themes that you want.

View Postshadowhearth, on 31 December 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

We got such themes like Mass effect, Starcraft, Fallout, Bioshock, League of legends, Dota, Elder scroll, half life? portal, team fortress 2, warhammer 40k? I am pretty sure that even not a lego fan gamers would have that just because of its Nerdiness factor. Surely it would be quite a good thing to developers of these games too?

Your list perfectly illustrates a huge part of the problem. Not one game on that list would pass Lego's brand fit review. Maybe Portal? Everything else is way outside the violence or content guidelines that Lego maintains to protect the Lego brand name.
Posted Image
My First Real MOC!
Almost ready for customers! Comics, Karate, and brutally painful Dentistry, all under one roof!

#1045 shadowhearth

shadowhearth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostFaefrost, on 31 December 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

It all comes down to audience numbers and the speed of change. In order for a licensed product to be viable for Lego it really needs a built in audience of several million. Say in excess of 2-3 million at an absolute minimum, preferably 5 million plus. While gaming populations are strong and very vocal, in truth very few video games hit these numbers.  For those the do hey can be further subdivided by those that are inappropriate under Legos brand guidelines (ie Call of Duty).

As you point out Megabloks has a World of Warcraft license. This is one of the most popular games in the world, but still the sets have been so so sellers.

Lego has dipped its toes into video game sets. They have made 4 sets based on Star Wars video games, with a rumored 5th in the works. The Minecraft set was a great seller for CuuSoo. But I don't think the audience penetration is there yet for the full blown themes that you want.

Your list perfectly illustrates a huge part of the problem. Not one game on that list would pass Lego's brand fit review. Maybe Portal? Everything else is way outside the violence or content guidelines that Lego maintains to protect the Lego brand name.

isee where you coming from. as for amount of people playing, 2-3mil of copies sold to a good franchise is not a problem these days.

fallout 3 sold 4.7mil copies in first week, that is not included all pirated versions
Skyrim 10 million copies sold and again thats outside the pirated copies.
League of legends has 32million active players. monthly!
so i dont think the small audience is an issue at all. its a lot bigger then non gamer people imagine.

the reason Wow is not doing great that almost no one knows about it. i found out only recently that there are megablocks wow toys. by recently i am saying it was 2 weeks ago... Lets be honest, Megablocks are not even near popularity of lego. Make WoW lego brand, show nerds that it is out there and it will sell as good as starwars Lego!

Now yo have a very good point that i did not thought of it at start. Lego might be keeping its name out of 16++ zone. a lot of those games do have violence, so it could be a huge no no. i sometimes forget Lego is not an adult only toy!

#1046 ZORK64

ZORK64

Member: 14137

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostFaefrost, on 31 December 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Your list perfectly illustrates a huge part of the problem. Not one game on that list would pass Lego's brand fit review. Maybe Portal?
I've read somewhere (I think it was Tomopop) that there was already a Portal project at CUSOO, and it was rejected because it didn't passed LEGO's brand fit review.

View Postshadowhearth, on 31 December 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

the reason Wow is not doing great that almost no one knows about it. i found out only recently that there are megablocks wow toys. by recently i am saying it was 2 weeks ago... Lets be honest, Megablocks are not even near popularity of lego. Make WoW lego brand, show nerds that it is out there and it will sell as good as starwars Lego!
Just because there are gazillion of people who play the game it wouldn't automatically mean that every one of them would buy LEGO sets of it. Granted, there might be also people who don't play the game who would enjoy those sets (I, for myself, own one of the smaller WoW sets, a few from the Halo series and I'm really looking forward to what MB might do with the StarCraft license), but there's still the question about the target audience - how many kids would buy WoW sets? Or how many parents would buy ther kids WoW sets?
(I wouldn't say it's possible though - as far as I know, the Warcraft franchise might be a possibility for a LEGO theme if MegaBrands wouldn't had got the license)

Now yo have a very good point that i did not thought of it at start. Lego might be keeping its name out of 16++ zone. a lot of those games do have violence, so it could be a huge no no. i sometimes forget Lego is not an adult only toy!
Personally, I'd like to see something from the Zelda series, which could maybe work (though I have doubts about the target audience here as well, see above).
I know that I know nothing.
Ich weiß, dass ich nichts weiß.
Visit my MOCpage!

#1047 Faefrost

Faefrost

• Fire Policefighter

Member: 27890

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostZORK64, on 31 December 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

I've read somewhere (I think it was Tomopop) that there was already a Portal project at CUSOO, and it was rejected because it didn't passed LEGO's brand fit review.

Actually the Portal project that made it to 10k is the one that was initially rejected for being an FPS. Lego was mistaken as to the nature of the game. Once that were convinced that it was a non violent puzzle game that simply looked like an FPS they let it proceed.

As far as numbers. Most video games are considered a rousing success at somewhere around 1 to 2 million sales. Very very few ever exceed that. Mainly things from very big name houses such as Bioware Blizzard or Bethesda. Or things like CoD or Madden. The number of game franchises that do this is probably less than 24.

Now the problem for Lego is fan conversion. Contrast video games, where except for a narrow (and often violent) handful, few may hit 10 million fans or users, with Lego's other licenses. LotR's has an established fan base of 150 million from the books alone. 200 million from the movies. Harry Potter is well over 100 million, as is PotC. And Star Wars? The pre existing fan base approaches a half a billion at least. It's easy to get a few million units sold if that is the starting level of interest.
Posted Image
My First Real MOC!
Almost ready for customers! Comics, Karate, and brutally painful Dentistry, all under one roof!

#1048 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

Something that should also not be ignored is that the audience for the most successful video games doesn't necessarily have an enormous overlap with the audience for building toys. Would the average gamer enjoy the kind of play and building characterized by a LEGO building set more than they would enjoy spending the same amount of money on video games, a passion which already appeals to them? Probably not in the cases of many franchises.

But there are exceptions. Years ago, LEGO had its first video-game-based set (or at least, first not based on an in-house video game), 7672 Rogue Shadow from the video game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. They've recently followed that up with sets based on Star Wars: The Old Republic. These sets are aimed at TLG's already established audience for LEGO Star Wars sets, and the familiar Star Wars branding makes them likely to resonate even with those who have never heard of the video games they originated in.

Also recently, LEGO has released another major video-game-based set, "LEGO Minecraft Micro-World". The overlapping appeal of Minecraft, a game based around building, and LEGO, a building toy, had been noted long before LEGO Cuusoo made this sort of model possible. That means that more sets based on video games aren't out of the question. LEGO just needs to see strong evidence that there's money to be made off of them, and not just from collectors of video game merchandise. LEGO Cuusoo is currently one of the most viable outlets for that, outside of The LEGO Group's established licensing partners.

#1049 Echo

Echo

Member: 504

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

How about the Mario series? Same general age range, massive fanbase, many Mario fans are probably LEGO fans too, and lots of potential sets to produce.

#1050 shadowhearth

shadowhearth

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostAanchir, on 31 December 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

Something that should also not be ignored is that the audience for the most successful video games doesn't necessarily have an enormous overlap with the audience for building toys. Would the average gamer enjoy the kind of play and building characterized by a LEGO building set more than they would enjoy spending the same amount of money on video games, a passion which already appeals to them? Probably not in the cases of many franchises.

But there are exceptions. Years ago, LEGO had its first video-game-based set (or at least, first not based on an in-house video game), 7672 Rogue Shadow from the video game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. They've recently followed that up with sets based on Star Wars: The Old Republic. These sets are aimed at TLG's already established audience for LEGO Star Wars sets, and the familiar Star Wars branding makes them likely to resonate even with those who have never heard of the video games they originated in.

Also recently, LEGO has released another major video-game-based set, "LEGO Minecraft Micro-World". The overlapping appeal of Minecraft, a game based around building, and LEGO, a building toy, had been noted long before LEGO Cuusoo made this sort of model possible. That means that more sets based on video games aren't out of the question. LEGO just needs to see strong evidence that there's money to be made off of them, and not just from collectors of video game merchandise. LEGO Cuusoo is currently one of the most viable outlets for that, outside of The LEGO Group's established licensing partners.

i think you underestimate the gamer. Nobody said that the ones who like lotr  and SW love building Lego too. For example i am a gamer, i got 10++ action figures of WoW, got few other game action figures too. All of my gamer friends got some of the gamer stuff too. one of my friends got a frostmourne sword with stand which was way over 1000£. that is just a small group of gamers i play with. We, gamers, buy collectors edition which are double the price, just because it has Big daddies statue, diablo skull etc. Do you really think that nerds like us would resist something like " Stormwind bank" lego? :blush:

I think minecraft lego would be a great example for this too. It is very popular set and it is just booming in price. NERDS love it! Even if they wont play with it like children doo, they will want it in their nerd collection. I play a lot of minecraft, i would like to get my hands on one of these sets, but i cant justify inflated prices of it and i got a huge list of technic sets to buy :blush: .

Other thing, arent Lego a bit hypocrites? They shot down portal lego, just because it was first person shooter? in reality they only later realised that it was a puzzle game with minimum violence and put it back in to review! This makes me wonder: WHO THE HELL DOING RESEARCH IN LEGO, WHY ARE THEY EVEN GETTING PAYED?!?! :wacko: . I Totally agree that some games have too much violence and not too suitable for lego sets, but the ideas still could be taken and made new themes? what about some post apocaliptic theme like fallout? zombie survivor? i agree that fallout might be quite too much stuffed with violence, but it can be toned down for a lego set theme?
talking about violence, which lego tries to stay away from. I bought 66383 set for 20eu on sale in local heatons shop. one of the sets in there is named " weapon rack" ( i think ) whole set is just Weapons! I started looking more in to the whole set and realised that even the box outside advertises the amount of different weapons it has!!! :look: So the whole theme is based on violence, weaponary? I am not attacking lego for having violence sets, but i am just saying its a bit hypocritical.

I still LOVE lego :wub: . Its just food for though. I would really love to see some lego sets dedicated to gaming.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Percy jackson, Disney, under water, aqua, sea, Theme, Possible LEGO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users