Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

Classic Town Set Restoration

In his entertaining and informative review, WhiteFang was gracious enough to show us a classic set in all of it's glory, the legendary Pizza to Go.

1.jpg

It's a beauty, a set that I suspect many of you would love to own. Of course, it's no longer easily available, but why should that stop the devoted fan? It shouldn't, assuming you own an assortment of basic bricks (or are willing to purchase them) and have access to a colour printer capable of making decals.

The first step to set restoration is to find out what pieces you will need. Securing an inventory and instructions is easy, just take a trip over to Peeron and look up the set. The inventories aren't always perfectly accurate, but they're usually very close.

Next, dig through your collection and find what you'll need. Of course, you won't have the decal sheet, but that's ok, we have another plan for that.

If you have everything you need, great! If not, a quick trip to Bricklink should fill in most of the gaps. Just remember, if you can get the official printed pieces, do, if you can't, substitute plain pieces of the same type and colour. I don't provide decals for those, since they were never meant to be made as stickers, but in this set, it's basically just the umbrella and small sign on the top of the van. Those can be replaced with plain pieces without major loss, until you find the real ones.

Now that you have the set, minus the decals, all you need to do is print out these custom decals that I have made for you. Included are the main sign, the van panels, the torsos for the chef and delivery boy, a custom pizza based on the sign design (for variation) and a new pizza box which would go nicely on a 2x2 white tile. If you didn't buy any official pizzas, the substitute will work in it's place, but the pizza is a cheap part, and having multiples makes for a nice look, so try to pick some up.

I also prefer the real, printed minifigs, but I'm giving you the option of making a couple of your own here, in case they aren't readily available.

Optimized for printing at 600dpi (various sizes).

(thumbnails link to full size decals)

Set 6350/10036: Pizza-to-Go (1994/2002)

6350_s01.png_thumb.jpg 6350_s02.png_thumb.jpg chef1_orig.png_thumb.jpg overalls_orig_wht_blu.png_thumb.jpg Torso 3: Coming Soon!

Pizza-to-Go Bonuses (New Pizza and Pizza Box)

pizza.png_thumb.jpg pizzabox.png_thumb.jpg

Once you're printed and applied your decals, you can finish up the set.

Now, you own a modern restoration of a Classic Town set, soon to be the pride of your display!

If you actually try this, please, take some pics and post them here, we'd love to see your efforts!

If you have a vector version, I can try to reproduce them on transparant materials. That is the closest to the originals. Decals scratch to much that is why I never use decals allthough I have some lying around.

If you have a vector version, I can try to reproduce them on transparant materials. That is the closest to the originals. Decals scratch to much that is why I never use decals allthough I have some lying around.

Never tried a vectorization. I do them at 600dpi with no antialiasing, so they could be an easy conversion, I've just never done it... Maybe you could explain the process?

Never tried a vectorization. I do them at 600dpi with no antialiasing, so they could be an easy conversion, I've just never done it... Maybe you could explain the process?

The easiest and fastest way to reproduce logos and other similar designs such as LEGO decals (mostly with basic colors) is to use a vectorization program like Adobe Illustrator instead of Photoshop (which is a bitmap software). The concept is quite easy: you put the original design in background and re-design the logo with vector points on top of it. Once it's done you can easily re-scale it without altering the shape (ideal for printing). In other words, with a vecotrized version and a good printer (with post script functions), you'll get an exact match.

The easiest and fastest way to reproduce logos and other similar designs such as LEGO decals (mostly with basic colors) is to use a vectorization program like Adobe Illustrator instead of Photoshop (which is a bitmap software). The concept is quite easy: you put the original design in background and re-design the logo with vector points on top of it. Once it's done you can easily re-scale it without altering the shape (ideal for printing). In other words, with a vecotrized version and a good printer (with post script functions), you'll get an exact match.

Yes, that is what I alwas use. So most of the time I redraw logo's in Illustrater. There are tools that can do it for you but they do not work nice and most of the time the vectors become way too complicated.

Shadows, this is a very good restoration article. It will be nice for others whom don't have a chance to own this set and an alternative for them to re-build it again with those decals of yours. I must admit, you have talent for such things. :tongue:

I just love these bonuses! It looks so orignal. How I wish, TLG can release Pizza outlets again. Anyone whom had make use of his decals, do remember to post it here. I really want to see how does it look like in real life. :blush:

Shadows, this is a very good restoration article. It will be nice for others whom don't have a chance to own this set and an alternative for them to re-build it again with those decals of yours. I must admit, you have talent for such things. :tongue:

I just love these bonuses! It looks so orignal. How I wish, TLG can release Pizza outlets again. Anyone whom had make use of his decals, do remember to post it here. I really want to see how does it look like in real life. :blush:

I have alternative stickers, but since our printing device has some issues at the moment and parts don't come in until next week, I can't try these stickers :s

IMG_2342.JPG.jpg