• RA Anniversary that 'jumps' in once a year

Member: 2895

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

Posted Image

Set data

4920: The Rapid Rider
Year: 1999
Subtheme: Rock Raiders
Pieces: 37 (+1 extra - TrNeonGreen Plate 1 x 1 Round)
Price: Euro 3,50, used, not including S/H, on eBay
Building time: less than 10 minutes.
More info: Bricklink - Peeron.

I could have owned the 4910 Hover scout (see Metalandi's review here), but while I was buying some used sets, I forgot to buy that one too!

So, here's my only RR set, the second smallest one (if we don't count Japanese promos; sweets are surely sweeter if they come with a Lego set!)

Pieces:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Face and torso closeup; I like the torso, the face is good except for the bandanna.
Posted Image

Building is based on two big pieces: Landing Skids and Plate 6 x 6 x 2/3 Cross with Dome. Let's go!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Building is over:

Posted Image

Review:
Pros: Small set (= cheap), 1 fig, two accessories, some interesting pieces like the rock and the Crystal. No stickers but 3 printed pieces! Good color choice.
Cons: Tipper Bucket is fixed, no hinge. No levers or steering wheel, it probably moves by using the buttons on the 2x2 tile.

It deserves a 4/5.
Most overread phrase on S@H: "Sorry, item is not available in this country: Italy."

Quick Links: My introduction topic -  My first sets - My LDD MOCs. My Brickset: Have list - Want list. Reviews archive: see About me page.

#2 Skinny Boy

Skinny Boy

Member: 650

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

This was the first Rock raiders set I got. I really like it, and I think I got all of them except the huge cargo airlift thing. I remember these sets coming out and getting the big base for Christmas, though they are all destroyed now... sadly... :cry_sad:. Nice Review.
======================================

Posted Image

FlickR

#3 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

When I first saw this review title, I thought it said "Rapid River Review" thinking it was an Indian set (6766).

Nice review though.  I never got into Rock Raiders.  I would have loved the large drill bit piece for set #s 4970 and 4940.

This set looks like a little boulder hawler, and a nice set to introduce someone unfamilar with the theme.  I esp. like the fig and the little 2x2 drill bit tile.  The overall set looks like it has some very useful mining-type pieces.

Nice review and thanks for sharing.

#4 meschepers

meschepers

Member: 1763

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

I have never seen this set before but the minifig head would be perfect for a Solid Snake from MGS 2!
I've got three ships and sixty men,
A course for ports unread.
I'll stand at mast, let north winds blow
Till half of us are dead.

Land ho!

-Jim Morrison (The Doors)

#5 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

Rock Raiders was the shit back in the day. Awesome theme! I had this set as well as the Tunnel Transporter, which was amazing.

#6 metalandi

metalandi

Member: 2594

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the review! Rock Raiders was one of the last new themes i knew as a kid before my dark ages came. Unfortunately i never managed to get any sets from it, beside a few months ago the 4910 The Hover Scout, which i review a while ago. Wish i can get some of the bigger sets in the future.

#7 Norro

Norro

• Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

I always thought that this set was under-rated. It contains a really interesting collection of parts, a decent fig, and introduces an odd theme in only one set. Very well designed for one of the 'not greats'.

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users