REVIEW: 6584 Extreme Team Challenge

5 replies to this topic

#1 metalandi

metalandi

Member: 2594

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

It took a long time, but now here it is, the Review of the X-Treme Team Set 6584 Extreme Team Challenge. TheBrickster asked me a few weeks ago to do this, since he unfortunately never owned this great set, so here we go! First i have to say, that i really love this late 90's Town Theme, and i wish there would have been produced more sets. This is the only one i own, well, beside that i also still have 6572 Wind Runners, but the car is missing. :sceptic: Anyway, let's face the facts and let the pictures speak for themselves!

Sub-Theme: X-Treme Team
Set Nr.: 6584
Name: Extreme Team Challenge
Number of minifigs: 4
Number of pieces: 354
Release Year: 1998

Let's start off with a few quick shots of the box & instructions:

Posted Image

Inside of the box:

Posted Image

We got some ideas for alternative models on the backside (the same ones are also on the backside of the instructions):

Posted Image

Instructions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's an overall view of this huge set:

Posted Image

We get 4 minifigs, each with different heads and color patterns, which i really like:

Posted Image

...and also a good amount of equipment for them:

Posted Image

Let's move on with the cool vehicles, there are 3 (!) completely different ones in this set, first is the neat little trike:

Posted Image

Next, the not less neat "4-wheeled off-road-thing" (don't know what's it called really :tongue: ):

Posted Image

And finally the huge Monster truck, i love the chrome sidepipes and the wench with the hook in the back, which adds a lot of playability:

Posted Image

Oh, i almost forgot our brave adventurers also have got a raft to ride the wild mountain waters:

Posted Image

Now let's focus on the many details of the mountain base. We got a bridge over troubled waters, but be aware, it's very unstable! Love the wood patterns on the yellow 1x6 tiles:

Posted Image

Posted Image

On a corner a camera is mounted to document the wild life:

Posted Image

For the evenings we also got a little campfire:

Posted Image

Down by the river sits a grey falcon and watches the guys on their challenges:

Posted Image

What's that? Seems not very safe, to be honest..be aware when you pass by these rocks....

Posted Image

....cause it will collapse!

Posted Image

Let's move up again where the tent is placed, inside is plenty of space to take a rest for the figs and to store their equipment:

Posted Image

But i think they should have built the tent on another place cause the ground isn't very good there:

Posted Image

When you pull the mechanism, a trap door opens:

Posted Image

Will the guys all come back home safe and not injured? You decide! :tongue: All in all this is a really great set, ome may say it is a bit juniorized because of the baseplate, but it really isn't. It's got a LOT of playability and some rare parts, the biggest beeing the baseplate which is only available in this set. I hope you liked my review, let me know your opinions! :classic:

Edited by metalandi, 23 August 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#2 Faxon

Faxon

Member: 3765

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:18 PM

I remember getting this for christmas, and despite the earthy grey parts I relly enjoyed it, and it is nice to see pictures of it again- Thanks.

#3 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

Excellent review Metalandi!  I really think this looks like a fun set.  I esp. love the mountain, bridge, and baseplate.  It has adventure fun written all over it.

Thanks for taking the time to review this set.  I've always seen it in pictures, but never close-up. :thumbup:

#4 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

Metalandi, thanks for doing up this review! This is a chance for me to gain some insight for Extreme Team theme. This is a very interesting set that can be used for so many purposes. 3 different vehicles, wide range of accessories and nice minifigs. What I love the most, is the mountain, bridge and tent. It provided so much playability. I am very impressed with it. Thanks for sharing.  :sweet:

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#5 Justin

Justin

Member: 3633

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

Cool set! I like the tent and monster truck the most.
Yes, I like SpongeBob SquarePants.
Posted Image
Mmmmm...Pepsi Throwback!
Posted Image
________________________________________________________________________________
My Wikipedia Page
My Page at SpongeBuddy Mania Forums
My Youtube Channel
My Flickr
My page at Ames Fan Club

#6 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for that very interesting review, metalandi. A cool set with a lot of features and some nifty vehicles,
very playable and well designed indeed. Perhaps a bit too colorful for my likings, but pretty impressive in its
conception for sure. I wish we could see some more landscaping coming along with todays vehicle sets as well...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users