WesternOutlaw

What Classic Town Set Did You Always Want?

LOST LEGENDS

I was looking at pictures of some great classic sets recently, and it reminded me of a few sets that I always wanted, but never got.

I thought it would make an interesting discussion for us to share the set we never got, for whatever the reason (pictures would also help visualize the set).

So, take a moment to think about that set, look it up on Brickset or Lugnet, and share a picture in this thread.

Also, to add some additional interest, share the year of set release, what you may have been collecting at the time, and why you weren't able to get the particular set.

Ask yourself, "Do I still want the set now"? and why/why not.

the airport shuttle, due to lack of being born.

Set 6399 - released in 1990. A fine set indeed:

6399-1.jpg

How about a set you wanted during your childhood that was available, but you never got?

I'd say King Leo's Castle (2000-ish? that was around when i started first getting into LEGO, i think.) also, i like 1998's OutBack Airstrip.

Edited by maiq the liar

the old blue and white cement mixer. I'd always look at my old catalogs from my classic space sets and thought how beautiful it looked. And then to my delight a year or so, Lego released an ever better blue and white cement mixer.

I think one set i always wanted badly was 6543 Sail N' Fly Marina. I still think this is one of the best classic town sets ever made by TLG, and i still wanna have it. It summarizes perfectly many of the cool aspects from the sets in the early 90's, you get boats, a plane, mechanical stuff and holiday-related things. It also points with the octan styled building combined with the yellow/red style watersport club.

6543-1.jpg

the old blue and white cement mixer. I'd always look at my old catalogs from my classic space sets and thought how beautiful it looked. And then to my delight a year or so, Lego released an ever better blue and white cement mixer.

I don't remember this set at all, but it is nice:

6682-1.jpg

6682 Cement Mixer - Released in 1985

6395 Victory Lap Raceway. slowly building it by buying the different parts and collecting parts that i already have.

Very nice set!

6395-1.jpg

6395 Victory Lap Raceway - Released 1988

When I was a kid, I always wanted this set:

6363-1.jpg

6363 Auto Repair Shop - Released 1980. I esp. wanted the tow truck.

Also released the same year was this great Exxon Tow Truck that I never got:

6679-1.jpg

6679 Exxon Tow Truck - Released 1980

What great sets!

1687: Midnight Transport

6387: Coastal Rescue Base

6541: Intercoastal Seaport

6542: Launch & Load Seaport

6539: Victory Cup Racers

I never saw them in any stores just the book that came with other sets

I did se the midnight transport once though.

1687: Midnight Transport

6387: Coastal Rescue Base

6541: Intercoastal Seaport

6542: Launch & Load Seaport

6539: Victory Cup Racers

1687-1.jpg interesting choice

6387-1.jpg very nice. I don't remember this one at all.

6541-1.jpg definately Lego Legend material!

6542-1.jpg and another - The seaport sets were excellent!

6539-1.jpg Love the design of the race car hauler.

6666 or 6688

6666-1.jpg 6666 - Sweet!

6688-1.jpg 6688 - Looks like an RV/travel trailor to me. :wink:

There are quite a few but I’ll limit myself

6387: Coastal Rescue Base – saw it in the US catalogue on holiday as a child but couldn’t find it.

4558: Metroliner – I missed it first time round and then missed it again of the re-release. I did at one point find it in a shop and bought it but there was so much missing that I had to return it I doubt if more than 60% was in the sealed box.

Well, this is one set I would like to have one day.

It is a shame that it was never released (at least as far as I know, Bricklink does not list it). I once found the picture on Peeron and liked the set. It is from 1996 and captures a really nice holiday atmosphere

6500-1.1165196735.jpg

6543-1.jpg

Same here

6395 Victory Lap Raceway. slowly building it by buying the different parts and collecting parts that i already have.

Have most parts. I got it secondhand.

I had 6395 until last week, i also did a review of it a little while ago here. Unfoertunately i had to sell some of my bigger sets because of money need and a loss of space. It was a hard decision but i had to do it :cry_sad:

I'd have to say set number 6339, the second space port that Lego released. when I saw pictures of it, I knew i need it. Too bad i never got it :cry_sad: .

Definitely the Airport Shuttle. I picked up most of the old city sets I always wanted off ebay a few years ago, but the prices on this one have always kept it out of my reach.

All excellent choices. I'm really surprised no one has named 6394 Metro Park & Service Tower released in 1988:

6394-1.jpg

This is one of those sets I love now, although I don't remember it from my dark ages.

I think one set i always wanted badly was 6543 Sail N' Fly Marina. I still think this is one of the best classic town sets ever made by TLG, and i still wanna have it. It summarizes perfectly many of the cool aspects from the sets in the early 90's, you get boats, a plane, mechanical stuff and holiday-related things. It also points with the octan styled building combined with the yellow/red style watersport club.

6543-1.jpg

Yes I agree. It looks so great and so Lego.

Brickster, I must admit that this is a very good discussion point for all Classic Town lovers, especially looking at these lovely pictures. Thanks! I will come out my list soon, after I view the entire Town collections. :sweet:

It is a shame that it was never released (at least as far as I know, Bricklink does not list it). I once found the picture on Peeron and liked the set. It is from 1996 and captures a really nice holiday atmosphere

6500-1.1165196735.jpg

Simonwillems, thanks for pointing out this set. I had never seen this set before. Does that mean it has never released to the market before? This is indeed a very great set, which reminded me of Main Street.

All excellent choices. I'm really surprised no one has named 6394 Metro Park & Service Tower released in 1988:

6394-1.jpg

This is because I had not gone through Brickset yet. 6394 is one of the sets in my Lost Legend checklist. I loved that set very much, and used to look at the catalogue when I was a child. It matched with the 6378 very well. What do you think?

6378-1.jpg

The one set I always wanted during my childhood and that I've never got was the 6399 Airport Shuttle. It was probably too expensive for one set. It was also the first set I bought as an AFOL. I remember the face of the guy from which I bought it, when telling him it was for me :tongue:

6500-1.1165196735.jpg

I've always thought this was a fake. At least this would be the way how to do it; using the classic catalog background and add a 3/4 picture with an unused set number, modify slightly the 6396 airport baseplates (easy to do with PS) to have some 'exclusive' road design and voilà. It would be interesting if an ambassador could ask TLC about it!

Note: 'LEGO buiders'...

I always wanted to have that decoupler set. After our dark ages we bought one and it turned out that the set wasn't that useful at all.

When we started with the sticker business I recreated a lot of rare sets:

1952-1.1121892948.jpg

1581-2.1131595220.jpg (actually also bought one original version)

We actually have a repro stickersheet of Chocomel in our shop but then the yellow sticker (same set was issued twice with different stickers)

1620-2.1121722195.jpg

I didn't reproduce the torso stickers but replaced them with a chocomel torso since I think that is more compelling. What I also did is adding a number 17 in case of having two of those sets (so I will probably build an other version and put two next to eachother in our city).

2149-1.1105127485.jpg

The only rare part are the doors (but not that rare if you have quite some trains)

http://media.peeron.com/pics/inv/setpics/3....1105127488.jpg

we bought the set to recreate the stickers and made a blacksmith shop like McDonalds from it (I think our stickers are better than the original ones although we use both on our Mac). Last weekend it was sold for over 100€ (and we had the stickersheet repro for just some bucks ;))

This is also a very nice set though, we will probably be able to make it from our bulk but have never seen it at ebay or so:

1656-1.1121885979.jpg

I bought the new Mainstreet set not too long ago but was disappointed to find out that LEGO cheated with that set (no cyprus etc).

Edited by JopieK

I have that 6339 set... a bit dissappointing, but it looks great in a city layout.

There are currently no sets that i have on my wishlist that are already out there.

Maybe a complex 12V train layout, but with the 2009 trains all our problems will be solved right? :)