• Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

6804 Surface Rover Review

Set#: 6804

Set Name: Surface Rover

Released: 1984

Pieces: 16

Minifigs: 1 (white classic space minifig)

Brickshelf Gallery

Peeron.com

Bricklink

Brickset.com

6804.jpg

Introcomment: I have to keep my fondness for space going and since I'm no fan of the still "new" Life On Mars Mars Mission theme, I've decided to give you another review of a small Classic Space set. More to come in the following days.

The Box.

6804box.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't got the box for this set. But peeron.com was kindly enough to support me with a proper pic. And as usual this is a small easily brought home sized box. Oddly TLG doesn't add the "flip" on top anymore. I remember standing in toystores, pulling 6 or more sets down from the hanger before accesing the one I wanted. It gave buying LEGO sets that threasure hunting touch. [snaps out of his daydreaming]... A small box with a picture of what you get. I've got no rear pic, so I can't tell if TLG did the same as on the 6701 set (split up the inventory).

The fig:

classic_white.jpg

One single white classic space minifig. This is the worst one in my opinion. I never liked those white guys. And they get easily damaged by the sun. Nah! Give me a red or yellow instead (later blue or black).

The Surface Rover:

6804a.jpg BOTH

I am the lucky owner of two of them. (Yes this is a small showoff :tongue: )

6804b.jpg SIDE

Though small, I still think this is a neat little set. Compared to the modern "impulse" sets, this is high competable. I like the simplicity of the small classic space sets and this is no exception. The SR is made from very usable bricks, that can easily be used for making ship/base/craft MOCs.

6804c.jpg REAR

As you can see, one of them has been used for surface exploration for many years. It could do with some replacements, but I haven't had the time, yet.

The verdict:

A fine little classic set. Not much more than that. It holds some useful bricks and worked fine as an "impulse" back then. The classic children's birthday presents during the early 80's. I got quite a few space and town sets back then.

Remember to vote your opinion on this set. I gave it "average" for the bricks, the price (back then) and as an all in all conclusion.

KimT

Nice review!

The fig:

classic_white.jpg

One single white classic space minifig. This is the worst one in my opinion. I never liked those white guys. And they get easily damaged by the sun. Nah! Give me a red or yellow instead (later blue or black).

Even though they get damaged by the sun easily they're my favorite kind :classic: .

This set easily is above average for me. I had this as a little child, and whenever any of my relatives came to visit us, they brought me some Lego. Usually it was either this set or 6844

6844-1.1105127511.thumb2.jpg:tongue:

The really nice thing about this set are the alternate builds.

For the low price you got a nice range of parts and cool ideas what to build with them. You could build a fleet of Rovers, or the alternates, and everytime it was huge fun :)

I voted Average. It's a cute set, and one which I built from parts many times as a kid. (I didn't own the set though.) Thanks for the review! :sweet: