REVIEW: 6550 Desert Racer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (6 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 - Below Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 - Average (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. 4 - Above Average (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. 5 - Outstanding (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

Outback Desert Racer

G'day Mates!  Today from the Legoland's Desert Down Under, I'll be sharing an image review of Outback Set #6550, Desert Racer

Set #: 6550
Theme: Outback
Year Released: 1997
Piece Count: 48
Minifigs: 1
List Price: $4 (USD)

Starting with an image of the box:

Posted Image

And the back side with three alternate models:

Posted Image

Instructions and decals:

Posted Image

The pieces:

Posted Image

A side view of the vehicle:

Posted Image

Diagonal view:

Posted Image

One minifig:

Posted Image

And the complete set:

Posted Image

PROS:
- Price is under $5 ($4 USD retail) - good impulse set
- Goes well with other Outback sets
- Combination of yellow and green pieces
- Working doors and liftable top for playability

CONS:
- Stickers on doors, hood, and 1x4 tile.  No printed pieces
- No accessories (a wrench, gas can, and other extras would have added to the set)
- No extra tire for blow outs

SUMMARY: I picked this set up new a number of years ago as a true "Impulse Buy", after buying one of the larger Outback sets (Amazon Crossing or Outback Airstrip).  It's a neat little addition to the theme with its working doors and playability factor.  Although I only built it once before today, I would buy again if I had the opportunity.

Hooroo for now!  Some good Aussie music to leave you with: Down Under

#2 Manta

Manta

Member: 3622

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

This set looks liek a good buy for $4. Wish it was still around, but Like you said, it needs accessories.
So am I still waiting, for this world to stop hating. Can't find a good reason, can't find hope to believe in.
-Sum 41

'Cuz we don't live, We just survive, On the scraps that you throw away
-Rise Against

Now will it matter long after I'm gone? Because you never learned a god****ed thing
-My Chemical Romance

#3 metalandi

metalandi

Member: 2594

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

I remember having this set (actually i even still have it, at least the pars are SOMEwhere :tongue: ) when i was a child, and i used it for making races, as it is there for. All these many reviews let me think again at that i also planned to make some reviews for the town section. I got your message TheBrickster, don't worry! I got a lot to do at the moment, but i should find some time this upcoming week. :thumbup:

#4 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

View PostManta, on Aug 3 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

Wish it was still around.
Even though, little sets <$10, like the new Coast Guard 4WD & Jet, and the Quad are great little City sets.  Lego seems to be returning to good quality small sets with their latest City line-up.

View Postmetalandi, on Aug 3 2008, 10:46 AM, said:

I remember having this set (actually i even still have it, at least the pars are SOMEwhere :tongue: ) when i was a child, and i used it for making races, as it is there for.
You should look for them and resurrect it.  It really feels good after you've found all the pieces and put a set back together again (as it was when you first bought it).

#5 bullet8542

bullet8542

Member: 2814

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

This little set really makes my point small playable inspiration to build the set into a few other models, Great set I wish I had it my town is going to need more vehicles.

I really miss main model instructions with alternate build idea's.
Do I have a signature?

#6 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

I can prodly say I own this little bugger. It's not much, but it is a nice addition to the series. They are also easy to build, so you can get a rally going quite fast.  :thumbup:

Stauder.
Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users